4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 03:21 PM

brake pad replacement

I'm planning on replacing my brake pads in a few weeks and so far I've found an OK price on Courtesy Nissan. My question is, what is the "Brake Hardware Kit" and am I likely to need it, or will I just need the pads?
Also, if any of you guys think I can do better with price or parts, let me know.
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:55 PM
What's next!?..

If I remember correctly, the hardware kit includes the shims, retention clips, a small tube of synthetic grease (to regrease the caliper pins), and some anti-squeel goo (for putting between the pad and shims).

The shims and clips may or may not be worn out depending on how old the car is. You'll have to check.

If you're going with oem pads, I'd probably get the kit as well.

You may or may not need the shims depending on what replacement pads you get. Raybestos QS pads come with self adhesive shims, for example.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: brake pad replacement

Thats just what I was looking for with my post below. Great price. Wonder if there is a dealer around San Francisco Bay Area.

Also for that matter any fixed up 4th Gen Max around that area. Want to hook up with you.

Thanks.

Originally posted by davey6693
I'm planning on replacing my brake pads in a few weeks and so far I've found an OK price on Courtesy Nissan. My question is, what is the "Brake Hardware Kit" and am I likely to need it, or will I just need the pads?
Also, if any of you guys think I can do better with price or parts, let me know.
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:52 PM

Thanks JPMax

Originally posted by JPMax
If I remember correctly, the hardware kit includes the shims, retention clips, a small tube of synthetic grease (to regrease the caliper pins), and some anti-squeel goo (for putting between the pad and shims).

The shims and clips may or may not be worn out depending on how old the car is. You'll have to check.

If you're going with oem pads, I'd probably get the kit as well.

You may or may not need the shims depending on what replacement pads you get. Raybestos QS pads come with self adhesive shims, for example.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:36 PM

Re: brake pad replacement

Originally posted by davey6693
My question is, what is the "Brake Hardware Kit" ?
You can see pics of all the stuff that comes with the brake hardware kit

Drill down under:
- Greg's Garage
- 1999 Nissan Maxima SE
- Nissan Parts List
- Brake Parts

There are Nissan part #s too.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:50 PM

brake pads

I replaced the front pads with OEM, but the new OEM pads didn't include the pin holes for the spring retainer clips. I have heard that all of the new OEM front pads are missing these pin holes.

If you have your mind set on the OEM pads, check out the prices at Garrands Nissan (800) 339-2922 ask for David. They quoted me:
Rear Brake Pads - $37.49
Rear Hardware Kit - $16.50

In the rear of the vehicle, I used Raybestos Quiet Stops. Model PGD540QS. I think I purchased them at PepBoys for $46.99+tax. I was totally impressed with the increased stopping power from switching out to these brake pads. You might also want to rent the Rear Disk Brake piston compression tool from AutoZone. It's $35.00 and they give your cash back when you return the tool.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:17 AM

I also have to change my brake pads soon, I have a few questions though:

Mechanic says just the fronts, should I do front and rears at the same time?

I'm going with the Raybestos Quietstops b/c the squealing drove me crazy last summer and will do so again this summer. Will I need that brake hardware kit with these?

I've never changed brake pads before or anything related to the brakes, how hard is it? I'll pick up a Haynes manual before I do it. My mechanic is pretty good, but after quoting me $300 for this job, I think I'll try it myself. Of course, if anyone's near Quincy MA and feels like helpin out, I'm more than willing to buy the beers.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:48 AM
What's next!?..

Originally posted by laba
I also have to change my brake pads soon, I have a few questions though:

Mechanic says just the fronts, should I do front and rears at the same time?

I'm going with the Raybestos Quietstops b/c the squealing drove me crazy last summer and will do so again this summer. Will I need that brake hardware kit with these?

I've never changed brake pads before or anything related to the brakes, how hard is it? I'll pick up a Haynes manual before I do it. My mechanic is pretty good, but after quoting me $300 for this job, I think I'll try it myself. Of course, if anyone's near Quincy MA and feels like helpin out, I'm more than willing to buy the beers.

Thanks.
You'll have to do a visual inspection to see what really needs replacing. Do you need new rotors too? Did he say anything about needing to turn the rotors?

The rear pads usually don't wear down as fast as the front. The front pads handle about 75% of the stopping work.

Changing the front pads is fairly simple too if you have the right tools. If you get Raybestos QS, they will come with shims.
The only thing you'd need from the hardware kit are the retention clips if you want nice new shiny ones.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:42 AM

I had a dealer say I needed all 4 of my pads changed. I decided to change them myself. When I pulled of my oem pads, there waws still lots of meet left. Beware of profit-minded Nissan service advisors.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:43 AM

changing brake pads

The front brakes usually will require changing first. My rear brakes lasted almost 75,000 miles before I changed them. It is wise to change the brake pads before they wear too thin. When they wear too thin, they can overheat and warp the brake rotor (repair =$$$$).

Changing the brake pads are a pretty easy do-it-yourself job. If you haven't done anything that complicated before, it might help to have someone with you who has changed brake pads before (on any vehicle).

You will need:
Additional Brake Fluid
blue Anti-Squeak gel
floor jack
Socket Tools (metric)
Open End Wrenches (metric)
A Large "C" Clamp (8" minimum)to compress piston.
Piston Compressing Tool (for rear pads only)
Lug Wrench to remove the wheels.

The Raybestos QS pads include shims, but they were junk in my opinion. When I replaced my rear brake pads, I took one look at the Raybestos shims and laughed. I ended up re-using my original OEM shims on the new Raybestos. They OEM shims fit perfectly on the Raybestos QS.

I recommend the Raybestos QS pads on the front. They stop nicely and they haven't made any brake noise or created excessive dust on the rims.

I think there are a few web sites online that explain how to change brakes. You might want to check www.motorvate.ca. This site has a perfect description of how to change the brakes on a 4th gen Maxima. Don't let the dealer do it for $300. It's a rip off.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:46 AM

Re: changing brake pads

Originally posted by sislen
A Large "C" Clamp (8" minimum)to compress piston.
A 4" c-clamp will get you the needed clearance. That's what I've been using. (That's a small cost savings in case that's an issue....& it may be easier to find too).
Old 04-02-2003, 01:02 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it. I was told I need new rotors as well, didn't say if they were warped or not though, just need new ones...RQS with OEM shims, got it...I'll just replace the fronts.

I also figure while I'm in there I may as well paint the calipers. Red or black, I have a black 97SE.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by laba
I also figure while I'm in there I may as well paint the calipers. Red or black, I have a black 97SE.
Do good prep work in sanding the crap off the calipers and your paint will bond that much better. I have a '97 SE also. I went with red. If you're interested, you can see how that looks off my cardomain page.