4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Why get OPTIMA and which?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why get OPTIMA and which?

They are 2-3 times more expensive then regular, why? and which one to get yellow or red?
Old 04-01-2003, 04:57 PM

I have a yellow top optima, and usually people get a deep cell battery if they plan on placing a heavy load on the cars electrical output of the car...like with a high watt system. Also, the optima are a gel cell battery and they have cyclindrical lead rather than a flat slab of lead in "normal" batteries. I had my yellow top in my other car that had a big system in there and I haven't had a problem. I think that the difference between the two is the cold cranking amps that it puts out.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:39 PM

The others Blue and red, hold charge for longer, i.e. your battery won't be dead if you don't start your car for a year.....I personally would get a blue, so that it would match under the engine bay
Old 04-01-2003, 06:05 PM

yellow top model number

Originally posted by Joeycurl
I have a yellow top optima, and usually people get a deep cell battery if they plan on placing a heavy load on the cars electrical output of the car...like with a high watt system. Also, the optima are a gel cell battery and they have cyclindrical lead rather than a flat slab of lead in "normal" batteries. I had my yellow top in my other car that had a big system in there and I haven't had a problem. I think that the difference between the two is the cold cranking amps that it puts out.

Just my 2 cents.
I was just at Autozone today and they had no clue. Do you know what the model number is? Is it 850U or 800U?
Old 04-01-2003, 06:25 PM

Buy a yellow top, I have a red top but the yellow is better....

Optima's are the best batteries because they are the most reliable to me....

Trance
Old 04-02-2003, 11:52 AM

check the website it should have that info. and if the guys at autozone don't know what cca=cold crank amp then they shouldn't be helping you.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Consumer reports did a Test on Car Batteries. The Optima batteries fell right in the middle of the pack. Average. They noted that their Cold Cranking Amp ratings were below what they claim to be. btw DieHard Gold scored the highest for the 14th year in a row.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:23 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

1. Blue are made for marine applications, not automotive.

2. Red Tops are the best for cars with absoloutely no modifications to the electrical system.

3. Yellow tops are deep cycle batteries made for cars that have extra or higher-power components on their electrical systems. If you have a sound system, or are planning on gettng one, this is the battery to buy.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:47 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

costco carries and has great prices on Optima batteries. I don't know about the yellow-tops, but I have seen them carry the red ones.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:52 AM

And that test on the batteries is a marketing thing, you shouldn't believe every test you read...

14th year in a row when there has been about 50 new models and batteries in the market with that time...

Die hard gold is a good battery don't get me wrong, but try to start your car if you have not started it in about a year and see which battery takes long to start, both will start but the optima always gives faster starts.

To be honest, a battery doesn't really matter unless your running a crazy system then get a regular acdelco crap...

Trance
Old 04-03-2003, 07:45 AM

Who the heck would wait a year to start their car? Hahah even when you store your car you should crank it up at least once a month just to get the fluids moving. After a year I expect my battery to be dead...if you left your car with the battery in it for 365 days without starting it or removing it then you probably shouldn't own a car. Also Consumer Reports is for the average person who doesn't mod their car. If your running a nice electrical setup then you'd probably need the deep cycle battery just to keep it going, maybe even run 2.

Anyways my 2 cents.