General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Optima battery alternative...very long...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 03:35 PM

I just had to replace the battery in my 98 Maxima, and was interested in the Optima since i have a sound system that draws more power than usual. So I researched the net and made a few calls, and thought I'd share what I found to save some of you from having to do the same. The yellow top Optima is a deep cycle battery; it is designed to be drained more in between recharges without hurting the battery, so it would be a good choice if you often listen for extended periods with the engine off. The red top is considered a "cranking battery" and doesn't have quite the reserve power, but a little more cold cranking power. Inherent in the design of both, and why they are good for sound systems, is their design offers less internal resistance, so they are able to offer more power, quicker, in response to peak transient demands (for example bass notes). The design is also good for sound systems because it is sealed, and less susceptible to corrosion of the terminals, which is often the source of noise or loss of power in sound system wiring. Also, since the design is leakproof, it can be mounted safely just about anywhere in the car, in any position, even upside down, without concern except proper insulation of the electrical conductors.

I then checked the internet because of limited availability and high price of the Optima's in my area. I discovered that Exide Corporation which is one of the largest manufacturers of commercial batteries now makes a similar battery called the "Exide Select Orbital", possibly under license to Optima, although I couldn't verify this. In addition to the features of the Optima, the Exide version also had three additional patents in it's design. The Exide batteries are very comparable in specs and warranty, but are more readily available at many tire and auto parts distributors. (It is also available at Chrysler dealers under their brand as a Chrysler part, probably because Bob Lutz, who used to be an executive at Chrysler, now heads Exide. A significant advantage of the Exide battery is that it comes with three sets of terminals. There are two sets of top terminals, which allow you to match either + - orientation of your cables, and also a set of side terminals for GM applications. This of course makes it possible to hook up sound systems and accessories very easily to the unused terminals. I paid $120 for mine which is comparable to the red top Optima. Exide also make a marine version of the Orbital which is a deep cycle battery, and would be more comparable to the yellow top Optima. I did not investigate price on the marine battery since I didn't need a deep cycle battery (I rarely listen to the system without the engine on) but would expect it to be comparable to the yellow top, maybe cheaper. Just wanted to make you folks aware or the alternative. Go to the Optima and Exide sites for more detailed info. I couldn't be more pleased with the Orbital; the car now cranks much easier and the slight light dimming I had, even with the stock sound system is gone, and the lights seem brighter. Didn't realize how bad my stock battery had become. Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2001, 05:54 PM

Hmmm...about a month ago, I remember I went around SF looking for the Exide Orbital. The shops told me that they were all sold out and that they haven't had any for like three months due to shortages. They told me it would be another two months before they get one in stock.

Old 01-23-2001, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
Hmmm...about a month ago, I remember I went around SF looking for the Exide Orbital. The shops told me that they were all sold out and that they haven't had any for like three months due to shortages. They told me it would be another two months before they get one in stock.

I also read on the various battery pages Google brought up that Exide and GNB are merging, and indeed their web pages are linked now. One of the Exide distributors in my area was closing, and other shops were dropping some lines adding others. Apparently most of the battery distribution agreements are exclusive, and don't allow shops to carry both, so the merger may have caused some temporary distribution problems. You might try a Chrysler dealer, which the closing Exide dealer recommended. As Exide/GNB sort out their distribution problems, the availability should improve. You might also try WalMart. Exide had a trial agreement with WalMart to distribute the battery under WalMart's "Everstart Ultra" house brand. I couldn't find any in my area, but you may in yours. Apparently the trial didn't go too well, in my opinion because the price point would have been too high for the typical demographic, but some stores may still have them left over from the trial. Also try the Marine shops. Any Exide dealer should be able to order the battery you want. Good Luck.