4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Budget Test Pipe fixed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Budget Test Pipe fixed!!! ... but small leak... read

Bolt problem fixed!!! (in reference to http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=202522)

Okay I took the car into a local exhaust shop and they were really cool about taking care of this for me. They installed new gaskets, new bolts, and fastened it in real good. Now the car sounds awesome! It is not much louder than it was before and it has a nice little deep tone to it.

One little concern I do have is that there is a tiny bit of a leak between the test pipe and the b-pipe... the falanges don't quite meet perfectly (again, I would like to slap the drunk out of that guy at Budget). There is no loud sound like there was when I had the leak between the y-pipe and test pipe because of the incorrectly fastened bolts. But there is a very tiny spot where I can feel the exhaust gas leaking between the test pipe and the b-pipe.

Is there anything to be concerned about in terms of performance/power loss? Should I get Budget to fix the falanges on their b-pipe and/or test pipe so that they meet perfectly? The gasket that is in there now is a double gasket design already.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:50 PM

bump
Old 04-03-2003, 03:03 PM

thank you? lets party?
Old 04-03-2003, 04:21 PM
wat

Anyone know how much $$ it is for the Budget Test pipe? Worth getting?
Old 04-03-2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by BlueC
Anyone know how much $$ it is for the Budget Test pipe? Worth getting?
About $50CDN I think...
Old 04-03-2003, 04:42 PM
CaLSoNiC

why not just weld the leak?

Old 04-03-2003, 05:16 PM

On a simaler note i plan on getting a Budget Y-pipe this summer, and i heard the original cat between the y-pipe and the factory b-pipe has to be replaced with one of those damn overpriced random tech cats. Can that budget test pipe fit on the stock b-pipe? or what...
Cause id rather get the test pipe rather than a new cat.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by CaLSoNiC
why not just weld the leak?
If I do that then I will not be able to replace the test pipe with my stock cat when it comes time for emissions testing.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:04 PM
V^___^V

any leakage on the exhaust system will degrade performance... but i donno how big ur leakage is so i can't give u an exact number =/
Old 04-04-2003, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by happyricefob
any leakage on the exhaust system will degrade performance... but i donno how big ur leakage is so i can't give u an exact number =/
ANY leakage is bad? Is that because there isn't enough back-pressure created if there is a leak? What is the technical explanation behind that?
Old 04-05-2003, 11:00 PM
V^___^V

Originally posted by speedemn

because there isn't enough back-pressure created
u jus did =) also if u want more HP, u'll need to get air/gas in fast and get it out fast... and if ur exhaust system is does not have a "concentrated" piping, either too small or too big will lose HP... like stock exhaust system is too small and too restrictive, and if u get those super big muffler, u'll lose back pressure which will cause HP lost... hopefully tat make sense
Old 04-06-2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by happyricefob

u jus did =) also if u want more HP, u'll need to get air/gas in fast and get it out fast... and if ur exhaust system is does not have a "concentrated" piping, either too small or too big will lose HP... like stock exhaust system is too small and too restrictive, and if u get those super big muffler, u'll lose back pressure which will cause HP lost... hopefully tat make sense
Yes thank you. I thought that with this leak being so tiny, the amount of backpressure lost (if any) would be almost negligible. But I guess it is SOME loss of power and I should not be satisfied with that because that is not the reason I got the full exhaust. Budget should be responsible for fixing THEIR flanges on the test pipe and b-pipe. I have already called Budget but haven't been able to talk to Jeff yet. The other guy there said that it shouldn't be a problem to fix it.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:41 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

c'mon guys backpressure is evil!!!!! the leak causes more turbulence in the exhaust stream in turn causing MORE backpressure, backpressure ROBS you of power, the more free flowing u are the better
Old 04-06-2003, 07:41 PM

Hmmm two completely differnt opinions... and I can see the point in both of them. I guess the bottomline is that I am losing performance. I hope Budget doesn't charge me to fix their mistake. I am kind of ****ed off because I had to go there twice because the guy who was supposed to make my bpipe and test pipe didn't show up to work the first time (like it's my problem). Then he can't even make the test pipe right!

In addition to that, I am getting a metal clanking noise from the back when I rev or shift... it is pretty annoying. I would have thought that Budget would have been a little more meticulous than that.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Dev

Hmmm two completely differnt opinions... and I can see the point in both of them. I guess the bottomline is that I am losing performance. I hope Budget doesn't charge me to fix their mistake. I am kind of ****ed off because I had to go there twice because the guy who was supposed to make my bpipe and test pipe didn't show up to work the first time (like it's my problem). Then he can't even make the test pipe right!

In addition to that, I am getting a metal clanking noise from the back when I rev or shift... it is pretty annoying. I would have thought that Budget would have been a little more meticulous than that.
nismos14 is correct
many people confuse back pressure with the velocity of airflow.
you never want back pressure, you want to increase the flow of the air exiting the engine, or headers.
like mentioned above, small pipes restrict the velocity of airflow due to the small diameter. however pipes too large (3" diameter on an N/A engine) will also make you lose power, because even though there is less back pressure, the velocity of the air has also slowed down.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dev

nismos14 is correct
many people confuse back pressure with the velocity of airflow.
you never want back pressure, you want to increase the flow of the air exiting the engine, or headers.
like mentioned above, small pipes restrict the velocity of airflow due to the small diameter. however pipes too large (3" diameter on an N/A engine) will also make you lose power, because even though there is less back pressure, the velocity of the air has also slowed down.
I had the same problem. The flanges of my cat and b-pipe didn't meet correctly and Meineke solved the problem by welding the flanges together. No leak now, but now my stock b-pipe and cat are stuck together forever! Don't let them weld it!
Old 04-06-2003, 09:10 PM
V^___^V

Originally posted by sidewinder740

I had the same problem. The flanges of my car and b-pipe didn't meet correctly and Meineke solved the problem by welding the flanges together. No leak now, but now my stock b-pipe and cat are stuck together forever! Don't let them weld it!
yeap, welding is the cheap way to go...i rather save up for a full catback system =) which i am workin on it...
Old 04-07-2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by sidewinder740

I had the same problem. The flanges of my car and b-pipe didn't meet correctly and Meineke solved the problem by welding the flanges together. No leak now, but now my stock b-pipe and cat are stuck together forever! Don't let them weld it!
You went to Meineke? Whereabouts are you from?

In my case, I am not going to have my TEST PIPE welded to my b-pipe or I'm screwed when emissions time comes around.

I will be taking it back to Budget and let them fix their mess, as I mentioned before.

1) Exhaust leak
2) O2 sensor
3) Annoying rattle in the rear
Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Meineke in Richardson near Dallas
Old 04-12-2003, 02:33 PM

I will be taking it back to Budget and let them fix their mess, as I mentioned before.

1) Exhaust leak
2) O2 sensor
3) Annoying rattle in the rear
Alright, I took the car into budget today and Richie was extremely polite and helpful in the matter. He got me all fixed up for 1) and 2). As for 3) The annoying rattle in the rear, that is my stock muffler that got the **** kicked out of it by the higher output of the y-pipe, b-pipe. The flaps inside the muffler are broken and are slapping against each other. I will probably looking to get a replacement stock muffler just because it sounds great.

For hte exhaust leak, he just replaced the gasket. The previous gasket was new too so I don't know what was wrong with it. For the O2 sensor hole in the test pipe, he plugged the existing hole and welded a new one on. Now my O2 sensor cable no longer looks like it is about to snap at any minute.

Overall I am very satisfied and will be looking to get a new muffler to fix the rattle in the current one. Thank you Budget.