4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Max just bashed by HUGE hail!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 09:28 PM

Max just bashed by HUGE hail!

My poor maxima. I was just standing by my back door watching a huge storm roll through and all of a sudden it starts hailing. Nothing big at first just dime size stuff. Then it starts getting bigger so I run to grab some comforters to throw over my car. By the time I get outside with them, the hail is bigger than golf *****. Like a dumbass I got bashed while trying to cover my car. It lasted for about ten minutes. After it let up I checked my car out. Just a small dent in the rear fender and a couple of tiny spots on the trunk. Not being able to put my maxima in the garage sucks!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:38 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

damn, mother nature's fury!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That sucks man....

But I've got this cool mental picture now of you running out there with your grandmother's hand-made quilt yealling "Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!"

Old 04-06-2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by iansw
That sucks man....

But I've got this cool mental picture now of you running out there with your grandmother's hand-made quilt yealling "Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!"

That's pretty much how it happened. I underestimated the damage though... I checkied it out in the daylight and there are probably 100 small dents mostly on the roof and trunk. Sunofabeeitch!!! My poor once pristine maxima.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:31 PM

time to order that e-bay pop a dent!
(it does actually work, too)
Old 04-06-2003, 06:39 PM

it really works?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by VQ30DE
it really works?
yeah, it did on two dents in my passenger door
Old 04-06-2003, 07:59 PM
KDLMax

Oh man! Sorry to hear about that. Wicked weather has been ripping through the country the last couple of days. In fact here in N.Y.C we are preparing for a huge spring snowstorm tomorrow.

Old 04-06-2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by 97blackSE

yeah, it did on two dents in my passenger door
There is absolutly no notice of any dents after you pop it?
Old 04-06-2003, 08:31 PM

To the author of the thread -- You wouldn't happen to live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, would you? I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, last night was terrible. Unfortunately I was NOT able to get my car to shelter either, and did what all I could at the time. When I went to remove all the shielding I put on my car, to my dismay...it was an absolute mess. If I stop bawling for just a second , I'll post photos. May have to claim on insurance, but I don't want an already high rate to go even higher.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by MaxHalo
To the author of the thread -- You wouldn't happen to live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, would you? I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, last night was terrible. Unfortunately I was NOT able to get my car to shelter either, and did what all I could at the time. When I went to remove all the shielding I put on my car, to my dismay...it was an absolute mess. If I stop bawling for just a second , I'll post photos. May have to claim on insurance, but I don't want an already high rate to go even higher.
Most insurance companies won't raise your rates because of Acts of God.

In the state I live in, it's actually illegal to do that.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:37 PM

Yeah, I live just north of dallas. I guess i'm gonna make a claim because there are little dents everywhere. Iansw makes an interesting point about the rates not being raised. I wonder what the law in texas is? How bad did it get your car?
Old 04-06-2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by koldsimer

Yeah, I live just north of dallas. I guess i'm gonna make a claim because there are little dents everywhere. Iansw makes an interesting point about the rates not being raised. I wonder what the law in texas is? How bad did it get your car?
If I had to make a rough estimate, I'd say there's about a good 40-50 dents scattered all around (approximately 10 of them being quite large). May have to call State Farm and find out what kind of policy they have for damages of this nature. Good luck with your car man
Old 04-06-2003, 08:50 PM

If I had to make a rough estimate, I'd say there's about a good 40-50 dents scattered all around (approximately 10 of them being quite large). May have to call State Farm and find out what kind of policy they have for damages of this nature. Good luck with your car man
You too.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:25 PM

damn, that sucks. thats some huge hail, where you from?
Old 04-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Sorry to hear about the hail down in Dallas. I guess it's just that time of year now. In Kansas City, we usually get 5-6 hail storms a year, but usually the hail is no bigger than an 1" in diameter. Back in the 90s, my father's 90 CRX Si got oblierated by a "baseball" size hail storm. It looked like someone took a baseball bat to the entire car. 3 weeks later the car looked brand new after the body shop took care it.

If you have a bunch of tiny dents, I wouldn't worry about it because all that stuff can be taken out very easily at a dent removal shop. My father's best friend owns a couple dent repair shops and he says multiple mild hail dings (50-100) can be pulled out in a matter of hours. Making an appointment will be your main problem though. Seeing that a TON of cars were damaged in Dallas, everywhere is going to be packed. Car dealers usually get first dibs because of all the cars they have. You might be looking at a month or two before you can get your car in.

Dave
Old 04-07-2003, 05:33 AM

So where did the tornado touch down? Glad yall werent any closer than you were and just got the hail... You would have really been mad if the tormado threw something at your car, or your car period....
Old 04-07-2003, 06:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

your insurance should cover this damage; we had a hurricane many years ago and my father's van was damaged in a similar fashion from hail. Call up the insurance company.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:30 AM

I would like more info on the Ebay Dent Remover. I'm on DC and parking at the metro I get dings quite frequently, so now I park way in the back and take a long walk.