4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Feel the need to babysit your Harlan RPM switch? Look here...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Feel the need to babysit your Harlan RPM switch? Look here...

I've found a new place to mount the Harlan RPM switch to verify when and when it's not working. Look on page 5 of my homepage.

All I did was run the RPM switch and wiring through the grab handle of the fuse box cover, drilled a small hole in the cover, ran a ziptie thru the hole and around the switch housing, and then back through the grab handle. I then pushed the RPM switch module out just enough so I can view the LED light. Where the switch sits, I can look through a gap in the steering well and verify when this thing is working.

I only started get RPM switch problems when the switch was set at 4900-5000. I've got mine set at 5200 and everything is looking good.

Dave
Old 04-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

hey dave, are the people having switch problems wired into a coil pack wire as oppossed to the tach wire? just a thought..

btw, i mounted mine in the flip tray and leave the cover off to see the light. I wish i could find a transparent cover to keep the dust out.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have noticed that now that i moved the setting down the 5000 sometimes in first gear it does not engage. once i move it to 5100 it acts fine. mine is wired to coil #1 on the ecu harness.

that is a great place Dave to see the harlan, i have thought about making it visible and your spot seems like the best place.

--Paul
Old 04-08-2003, 07:07 PM

I have a red led(from the alarm)connect to my relay,when the Harlan activate the relay to activate the vaccum switch,it also give ground to the red led too.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
I have a red led(from the alarm)connect to my relay,when the Harlan activate the relay to activate the vaccum switch,it also give ground to the red led too.
I did the same. Wiring up a LED would leave a lot cleaner look Dave, and you could keep the Harlan hidden. I just installed my 3rd Harlan and still no problems from any of them
-hype
Old 04-08-2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by xHypex

I did the same. Wiring up a LED would leave a lot cleaner look Dave, and you could keep the Harlan hidden. I just installed my 3rd Harlan and still no problems from any of them
-hype
What do you mean by just installed my 3rd Harlan,did it go out on you two time already or what?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
What do you mean by just installed my 3rd Harlan,did it go out on you two time already or what?
1 Harlan Rpm switch to activate my VI and a LED (VI indicator light)
1 Harlan Rpm switch wired with a red LED for my shift light
1 Harlan Window switch for my nitrous

All of them run from the coil and activate EVERY time.
-hype
Old 04-08-2003, 09:20 PM

I have a green LED mounted to the harlan rpm switch, and it is in the corner of the dash and a-pillar, so I always know if it is working. You can get a LED+holder at radio shack for cheap.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:25 PM

Here's mine:
Yellow for the VI, Red for the shiftlight.

They're bright, very easy to see from the driver's seat, yet still inconspicuous.
-hype
Old 04-08-2003, 09:51 PM

Here's mine:
[IMG]

They're bright, very easy to see from the driver's seat, yet still inconspicuous.
-hype
That was a great idea.

You know I always had the switch set to 5000 and it never worked. I think I'll go try 5300 just to see.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:41 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Here's mine:

-hype
oooooooh, I want my harlan wired like that.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:27 AM
lp

Might as well throw another option into the mix, although I'm not sure it will apply to US models.

Our cars have a 'SPORT' light on the dash cluster right next to the 'CRUISE' light. It was only used on the luxo-spec (Ti) that came with factory Active Suspension. For those without A/S wire an LED in the empty spot and it becomes a stealthy VI indicator.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:58 AM

Here's mine:
[IMG]

All of them run from the coil and activate EVERY time.
-hype
Are those the LEDs that come with the Harlan or did you buy your own? Is the whole unit in there or just the LEDs? No Problem seeing it during the day?

How would I hook up to a coil? Is that the same as running it to the ECU?

I had mine hooked up to an ECU coil wire and accidentally crossed the power and signal wires, frying my ECU , my most expensive fu<k up ever. It's been in my car not hooked up for a few months now
Old 04-09-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Anachronism
Are those the LEDs that come with the Harlan or did you buy your own?
I bought my LEDs from Radio Shack.
LEDs, 2x 5mm Yellow (2.1V, 20mA, 1900mcd) RS 276-351
1x 5mm Red (1.7V, 20mA, 3000mcd) RS 276-307
Pulsing Piezo Buzzer (3.0-28VDC, 2.8kHz, 6mA) RS 273-066

The RS xxx-xxx are Radio Shack Part numbers. You can use whatever LEDs you like to suit your color, shape, brightness, etc. needs. Just be sure to wire in resistors because the LEDs aren't designed for a lot of current. V=IR

Is the whole unit in there or just the LEDs?
Just the LEDs. My Harlans live under the shifter paneling

No Problem seeing it during the day?
Nope, very easily seen. LEDs are pretty directional, so if you point them towards you you can always see them, yet they don't appear incredibly bright from other directions.

How would I hook up to a coil? Is that the same as running it to the ECU?
Go to the coil packs and tap into the wire. Run that wire into the passenger compartment to the Harlan signal (green wire). You will have to set your Harlan to Coil (1 blink) instead of V6 mode.

I had mine hooked up to an ECU coil wire and accidentally crossed the power and signal wires, frying my ECU , my most expensive fu<k up ever. It's been in my car not hooked up for a few months now :
(
Yeah I remember reading about that. I originally tapped into the ECU, but on '99s it shorts your tach (the needle drops to 0 and stays there). Mishmosh wired up 2 Harlans like I did, but 2 Harlans killed his Tach on his '95. The moral of the story is don't wire up more than 1 Harlan to your ECU, and wiring to the coil is better than wiring to the ECU. I have my 2 Rpm switches and my Window switch all tapped into the coil and everything works great.
-hype
Old 04-09-2003, 11:43 AM

I bought my LEDs from Radio Shack.
LEDs, 2x 5mm Yellow (2.1V, 20mA, 1900mcd) RS 276-351
1x 5mm Red (1.7V, 20mA, 3000mcd) RS 276-307
Pulsing Piezo Buzzer (3.0-28VDC, 2.8kHz, 6mA) RS 273-066

The RS xxx-xxx are Radio Shack Part numbers. You can use whatever LEDs you like to suit your color, shape, brightness, etc. needs. Just be sure to wire in resistors because the LEDs aren't designed for a lot of current. V=IR

Just the LEDs. My Harlans live under the shifter paneling

Nope, very easily seen. LEDs are pretty directional, so if you point them towards you you can always see them, yet they don't appear incredibly bright from other directions.

Go to the coil packs and tap into the wire. Run that wire into the passenger compartment to the Harlan signal (green wire). You will have to set your Harlan to Coil (1 blink) instead of V6 mode.

Yeah I remember reading about that. I originally tapped into the ECU, but on '99s it shorts your tach (the needle drops to 0 and stays there). Mishmosh wired up 2 Harlans like I did, but 2 Harlans killed his Tach on his '95. The moral of the story is don't wire up more than 1 Harlan to your ECU, and wiring to the coil is better than wiring to the ECU. I have my 2 Rpm switches and my Window switch all tapped into the coil and everything works great.
-hype
Thanks, so no chance of frying anything expensive with it wired into the coil packs?

Thanks for the part numbers but I think I am going to separate the LEDs that came with the Harlan and mount them in the vent. They are incredibly bright when facing towards your face. I bought a buzzer but never installed it, I think I may install it this time. I have the one you have, I think I got the part # from another thread you recommended it in.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Anachronism
Thanks, so no chance of frying anything expensive with it wired into the coil packs?
In general I think not, but that's to be determined really. At worst I guess you may stress the coil pack some (but probably not too much). I'm running all 3 of my Harlans on the same coil pack, but I did consider running 2 together and the 3rd separately. I'm going to look into the situation more though, so I'll let you know.

If you want reassurance my 2 Harlans tapped on the coil have been on there for over a year.
-hype