4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 10:20 PM

Auto vs Manual

Ok Say this....

I have an 95 auto MAX. And I'm Gonna Get Y-pipe, Intake, cat-back and also with the resistor mod (that I have been told to shave .2-.3 off your 1/4 mile time).
and say that a 95 Max Manual would like to race...

In 1/4mile, Who Would Win?
Old 04-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Auto vs Manual

Originally posted by ZeRo--MaX
Ok Say this....

I have an 95 auto MAX. And I'm Gonna Get Y-pipe, Intake, cat-back and also with the resistor mod (that I have been told to shave .2-.3 off your 1/4 mile time).

The manual.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:35 PM

what would I run in a 1/4mile?
Old 04-09-2003, 10:43 PM

what would I run in a 1/4mile?

Auto example

5 SPD example

Just to give you a clue of what to expect. Remember that 5spd doesnt have much mods and look at all the mods the auto has.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

Auto example

5 SPD example

Just to give you a clue of what to expect. Remember that 5spd doesnt have much mods and look at all the mods the auto has.
good examples
Old 04-09-2003, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Max240

good examples

Thanks...
Old 04-10-2003, 12:21 AM

Yea, very good examples, now show me slips from an auto and a manual both supercharged, hehe. I need the manual!

-Ben
Old 04-10-2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Yea, very good examples, now show me slips from an auto and a manual both supercharged, hehe. I need the manual!

-Ben

I thought so too. An auto w/ tons of mods and a manual w/slim to none. Still the 5spd prevails. As a previous owner of the auto/sc , I would just love to put the blower back on my car now that I got the 5spd in. It would be insane.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:30 AM
Dev

Re: Auto vs Manual

Ok Say this....

when we went to the track...

i ran a 15.0 with intake (99 5spd)
my friend ran 15.3 with ypipe, intake, catback (96 auto)

also, the further up you go in speed...auto falls further and further behind slowly
when the auto hits third...it seems like it slows down a bit
Old 04-10-2003, 12:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Even though ive got a 5th gen same thing applies to me. When I went to the track last yr I raced a 00 5spd that was lowered and had a K&N panel filter and thats it. I had a Y-pipe, Frankencar intake with the stillen cone and the whole exhaust done. The best run Ive managed to pull is a 15.5 at 89.99. He pulled on me 2 cars by the time we reached the end of the 1/4. Shorter gears help alot, but when it comes down to consistency and u wanna go straight up drag then auto is the way to fly. A built auto will shift alto faster then u can possible shift with ur hand and will never miss a gear, but will be a pain to drive in the street if u have a higher stall converter. That being said a street driven car should be stick if u want to be quick right off the bat, but if ur dragging and got the power there u cant touch a built auto. This holds more true to RWD V8's
Old 04-10-2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by HitManSE
Even though ive got a 5th gen same thing applies to me. When I went to the track last yr I raced a 00 5spd that was lowered and had a K&N panel filter and thats it. I had a Y-pipe, Frankencar intake with the stillen cone and the whole exhaust done. The best run Ive managed to pull is a 15.5 at 89.99. He pulled on me 2 cars by the time we reached the end of the 1/4. Shorter gears help alot, but when it comes down to consistency and u wanna go straight up drag then auto is the way to fly. A built auto will shift alto faster then u can possible shift with ur hand and will never miss a gear, but will be a pain to drive in the street if u have a higher stall converter. That being said a street driven car should be stick if u want to be quick right off the bat, but if ur dragging and got the power there u cant touch a built auto. This holds more true to RWD V8's
I guess driver error is the only thing that can't be really seen in an auto. I just think the auto takes away the fun in driving. But I truly understand how much the auto robs of hp, I mean I had every bolt-on except the MEVI and VB, and I kept getting 15.0 like 10 times on different track days. Isn't there a guy on the org who is capable of hitting 13.9 with every mod available on his 5-spd, making him one of the auicket all-motor Maxs?

-Ben
Old 04-10-2003, 05:51 AM

The race could go either way depending on the drivers. I've beaten 5 speeds at the track and bags533 has beaten them on the road.

In the Pike vid that we made some time ago, the 4th gen autos were showing up the 5 speeds.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by deezo

In the Pike vid that we made some time ago, the 4th gen autos were showing up the 5 speeds.

i was on colder plugs
Old 04-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Old Maxima Legend

MaNuAL

VSPEED Manual
Old 04-10-2003, 07:14 AM

i am thikning of getting a stall converter, what does this involve me doing? where can i get one and how much will this cost me
Old 04-10-2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by waveridr85
i am thikning of getting a stall converter, what does this involve me doing? where can i get one and how much will this cost me
You dont need 1, on the street it will be quite anoying to drive a car with a higher stall converter. 600 above OEM would be aceptable but a 2000+ rpm stal converter is excessive for the steet. It feels like the tranny is slipping til you hut a certain rpm.

BenBlanco218 I know an auto take some of the fun away from driving, its just mote accurate for dragging hands down. It does rob a bit more hp but when u have 300+ the differance is made up for in tracion were a 5spd with shorter gears is a bit easier to get wheelspin with.

Auto can show up 5 spdd it usually whoever jumps the line that wins if the cars are within .5 of each other. I do drive an auto at this time but will be getting a 6spd shortly, as u say its a bit more fun to drive on the street.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:49 AM

Isn't there a guy on the org who is capable of hitting 13.9 with every mod available on his 5-spd, making him one of the auicket all-motor Maxs?

-Ben
That would be Nealoc187. He has an intake, y-pipe,MEVI and JWT ecu. On slicks, it's down to a 13.6. I would hardly consider that every mod. He doesnt have a cat-back exhaust or cams. Those 2 upgrades could easily lead to low 13's. VQ POWER BABY!!!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 08:56 AM
V^___^V

this is why i went more show mods over performance mods =) i doubt my car will perfom as good as a 5-spd even with CAI and y-pipe... and i am gettin OBX catback soon which i donno how much gain =/ i will dyno and run track soon... we shall c...
Old 04-10-2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by deezo
The race could go either way depending on the drivers. I've beaten 5 speeds at the track and bags533 has beaten them on the road.

A N/A auto doesnt stand a chance.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by HitManSE
BenBlanco218 I know an auto take some of the fun away from driving, its just mote accurate for dragging hands down. It does rob a bit more hp but when u have 300+ the differance is made up for in tracion were a 5spd with shorter gears is a bit easier to get wheelspin with.
Very good point there. I think it's pretty hard on the track to keep traction if I get a lot of wheel spin at redline of 1st and 2nd, I guess it would be harder to control in a 5spd. Its just on the highway I think an extra gear to hit redline would be perfect for boosting. Then again, I'm still wondering if its better to have taller auto gears for boosting, then an extra gear tha might not boost as long?

Originally posted by IwANnAMaX96

That would be Nealoc187. He has an intake, y-pipe,MEVI and JWT ecu. On slicks, it's down to a 13.6. I would hardly consider that every mod. He doesnt have a cat-back exhaust or cams. Those 2 upgrades could easily lead to low 13's. VQ POWER BABY!!!!!
That's crazy fast for all motor!

A N/A auto doesnt stand a chance.
Yes, maybe on the low end it would be even, but I raced a 5-spd with same mods when I was n/a and he would just start pulling away on top end.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:05 AM

Yes, maybe on the low end it would be even, but I raced a 5-spd with same mods when I was n/a and he would just start pulling away on top end.

If the 5spd takes off with little to no wheelspin its over. Then 3rd gear just rubs it in worse.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:06 PM

If the 5spd takes off with little to no wheelspin its over.
That only happens in most peoples dreams. Don't happen where I race.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Jime

That only happens in most peoples dreams. Don't happen where I race.

Emphasize the word "if". Third gear is just the ripper though.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:13 PM

My modded NA auto has beaten a semi-stock (exhaust and intake) 5 speed. Off the line, I always loose, but after that it's all catching up and passing.

So, to answer the original question, it's very possible.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:19 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

What people don't understand is that unless you get a Hi-Stall Torque Converter, or mess with the gearing, an Auto will never feel or be nearly as fast as a 5spd in first gear. It won't even come close. You got a 2.32 ratio in the auto vs. a 3.33 in the 5spd, not to mention more HP to the ground (instantly applied) and less weight). The 5spd feels like a totally different car, and no bolt on will change that.

Low end grunt:

Auto's =

5spds =
Old 04-10-2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Str8ridin
My modded NA auto has beaten a semi-stock (exhaust and intake) 5 speed. Off the line, I always loose, but after that it's all catching up and passing.

Back a long time ago before I was S/C'ed and 5spd converted, I had the slowmatic w/PR CAI, Y-pipe, and catback on my old light 17's. My car STILL didn't pull as hard as my friends '95 SE 5spd with ghetto pop charger @ 40mph. Close, but no. First gear I couldn't do anything about, my car felt like a minivan after riding in his.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Back a long time ago before I was S/C'ed and 5spd converted, I had the slowmatic w/PR CAI, Y-pipe, and catback on my old light 17's. My car STILL didn't pull as hard as my friends '95 SE 5spd with ghetto pop charger @ 40mph. Close, but no. First gear I couldn't do anything about, my car felt like a minivan after riding in his.
That's usually the case, I guess. It depends on the car. Some people's are just faster than others...

I wonder if I have a factory freak?
Old 04-10-2003, 12:32 PM

I hate my auto. I don't care if it's not as fast as a 5spd, but one thing that really annoys me is when the darn auto lags(i.e. doesn't downshift). On the street, an auto might be able to hang with a 5spd, but on the highway, forget it! When I had the SC on my auto, highway runs weren't impressive at all. If my car was a 5spd, I might keep it, but it's not.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Dev

i don't see how your auto can beat a 5spd in the high end...either the guy couldn't drive for ish...or you truly have a fast auto.

only way to tell if you have a factory freak is through dyno's or 1/4 mile slips

and unless you're running 14's...the guy couldnt' drive...
Old 04-10-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Dev

i don't see how your auto can beat a 5spd in the high end...either the guy couldn't drive for ish...or you truly have a fast auto.

only way to tell if you have a factory freak is through dyno's or 1/4 mile slips

Old 04-10-2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Dev

14.8 at Indy Raceway Park last October with my 18's. But I don't have a slip, so I'm not going to brag anymore.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Shiver me timbers.

I have both, auto and 5 speed. My car is alot faster than my wifes. 5 speed all the way.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:50 PM

If the hp output is 300+ then thers is little diff in ET between auto and manual. The 2.32 1st might actually prove to be an advantage with higher hp cars cuz the 1st gear can actually be put to use instead of completely blowing 1st gear away if its given WOT with the manual.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:06 PM

I wonder if I have a factory freak?
Nah, your just in denial.

HitManSE: No way man. At least for the Stillen Superchargers anyway. When boost doesn't start building till 3k and doesn't fully charge till redline, you still greatly benifit from the 5spd. The auto will be JUST as slow off the line with a supercharger, or even a turbo.

Take Cumalot's car for instance. Full exhaust, VB mod, and a V1 blower running a 3.125 pulley. That's around 350hp at the crank. He was running 13.9's. Do the same thing to a 5spd and it's going to be a mid-low 13 second car with a decent driver, and a LOW 13 second car with Dave B. or Nealoc behind the wheel.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:15 PM

Nah, your just in denial.

HitManSE: No way man. At least for the Stillen Superchargers anyway. When boost doesn't start building till 3k and doesn't fully charge till redline, you still greatly benifit from the 5spd. The auto will be JUST as slow off the line with a supercharger, or even a turbo.

Take Cumalot's car for instance. Full exhaust, VB mod, and a V1 blower running a 3.125 pulley. That's around 350hp at the crank. He was running 13.9's. Do the same thing to a 5spd and it's going to be a mid-low 13 second car with a decent driver, and a LOW 13 second car with Dave B. or Nealoc behind the wheel.
Dude im just tellin u what I think that is all. Are u tellin me that u can go WOT off the line with urs? Unless u have slicks I doubt that. Dont get me wrong I love manual trannys and in fact my next car is gonna be a 03 6spd so I completly understand its benafits and its alot more fun ti drive. As an expample (I know the max is a diff story) a 70 chevelle with the same say 600Hp motor in it, the auto TH400 with a higher stall is gonna run faster then the 4spd would. Alot of drag cars use auto do to its consistancy in ET. I want a manual and yeah im still gonna drag but if it was built to drag id probalby go with a built auto but I dont got that much $ to burn for no reason. Jime is a good example for this, low 13's and probably 12s soon with an auto.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:56 PM

What people don't understand is that unless you get a Hi-Stall Torque Converter, or mess with the gearing, an Auto will never feel or be nearly as fast as a 5spd in first gear. It won't even come close. You got a 2.32 ratio in the auto vs. a 3.33 in the 5spd, not to mention more HP to the ground (instantly applied) and less weight). The 5spd feels like a totally different car, and no bolt on will change that.

Low end grunt:

Auto's =

5spds =
David and I both run 1.8 60' times with no Hi-Stall converter.

That is with a total of $1450 in mods.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:19 PM

David and I both run 1.8 60' times with no Hi-Stall converter.

That is with a total of $1450 in mods.
Thank You. Oh and Jime I sent u a PM a little while ago, I do not know if it did or did not go through. It was just a curiosity question regarding the wet kit. Can u please send me a reply to the question if it is not too much trouble for you. I hate to be a bug to any1 and ask questions more then once, so once again thank you in advance for any info your choose to give.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:39 PM
KDLMax

How many of you have the VB mod? Just curious!

Old 04-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Dev

14.8 at Indy Raceway Park last October with my 18's. But I don't have a slip, so I'm not going to brag anymore.
ok...so if you put 15's on you probably have a 14.5 right?

what was your trap speed?

and what are your mods?
Old 04-10-2003, 03:24 PM

David and I both run 1.8 60' times

Not without nAaAaAwWwWzZ you didn't.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual