4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

VI Woes !!! Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VI Woes !!! Please Read

alright well i put in the rear bolts on the manifold and the EGR bolts in to tyte...then I put in the front bolts and started tourqing them down and the first one broke well after taking out the rear retaining bolts off and the EGR valve bolts off and took the manifold off...got E-Z-out and took the bolt out.

I decided to get a different tourque wrench today and another bolt and try again today...tourqued down the front 4 bolts across the front good to tourque then found that the rear retaining bolts didnt line up any more...so took the all fronts back out and lined up the rear again and losely put them in place and tourqued down the front bolts again..I then looked at the EGR valve and noticed that its not lined up in the back to the manifold and relized that the only way to get that lined up, like the first time, was to put that in first then the front but it may cause the front bolts to snap again...
I may have stripped one of the bolts but it definetly is not lining up with the manifold at all..What to do:

1) losen up the front bolts again and make sure the EGR valve lines up to the manifold and risk snapping another front manifold bolt ?

2) try to pry the hard EGR valve up alittle to match the manifold...very hard..

I did relize it went up perfect without the front bolts in and all tourqued up but that may have caused the first bolt in the front to snap..MAY HAVE ?

-matt
Old 04-14-2003, 05:13 PM

I've broken my fair share of bolts, but I didn't have any problems with the manifold. Easiest way to get everything in right is to put in the rear bolts first, but don't tighten all the way. Then put the fronts in and hand tighten. Snug up the rears, and finish up the front bolts.
-hype
Old 04-14-2003, 05:18 PM

By rear bolts do you mean all the rear including the EGR valve bolts ?? I am afraid when I go to tighten up the front bolts with the rears already in there, the front bolts will snap again like the first time but it may have snapped cause of an inaccurate tourque wrench or cause i gave it too much ...Im in a world of mess please help

-matt
Old 04-14-2003, 05:21 PM

I've broken a number of bolts, and had others come loose even though I torqued them to spec so I understand your concern. From initially reading your post it sounded like you tightened the rear all the way. Then went to do the fronts.... is this correct?

I also hand tighten all bolts (and leave them loose) first to make sure everything lines up. This way you still have some play to adjust things as necessary. Only once everything seems alright do you want to be torqueing everything down. Sometimes things seem alright, when in fact the bolt isn't going in straight.
-hype
Old 04-14-2003, 05:26 PM

I think Mishmosh said it best in the write up:

"VI INSTALLATION
-first, place the new upper-to-lower manifold gasket in the proper orientation and alignment (with tab in front and to the left).

-carefully place the manifold ports over the gasket while making sure the rest of the manifold is fitted properly in place at the same time. You may find it useful to remove the cylinder bolted to the firewall that the cruise control cable is attached to, so as to facilitate proper placement of the rear of the manifold. Before you install the 5 front retaining bolts, you will need to thread in the two rear retaining bolts. Hold the front ports in place over the gasket by installing and loosely tightening only the left and right front bolts. You will probably need to vary slightly the position the rear of the manifold to thread in the two retaining bolts.
-reverse the order of manifold removal (above) for reinstallation of the rest of the components."
-hype
Old 04-14-2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
I think Mishmosh said it best in the write up:

"VI INSTALLATION
-first, place the new upper-to-lower manifold gasket in the proper orientation and alignment (with tab in front and to the left).

-carefully place the manifold ports over the gasket while making sure the rest of the manifold is fitted properly in place at the same time. You may find it useful to remove the cylinder bolted to the firewall that the cruise control cable is attached to, so as to facilitate proper placement of the rear of the manifold. Before you install the 5 front retaining bolts, you will need to thread in the two rear retaining bolts. Hold the front ports in place over the gasket by installing and loosely tightening only the left and right front bolts. You will probably need to vary slightly the position the rear of the manifold to thread in the two retaining bolts.
-reverse the order of manifold removal (above) for reinstallation of the rest of the components."
-hype
Yea I do agree it is said perfectly but the part where it doesnt tell you to line up the EGR valve bolts at the same time as the 2 rear retaining bolts...if you dont put any bolts in the EGR valve then it wont line up at the end when you go to tourque it down...it said reverse the order above...well the EGR valve is 2 steps up.

I understand now and I hope I didnt f*ck up the EGR bolts when I put them...some metal did come out when I pulled that bolt out but hopefully Ill be lucky..

-matt
Old 04-14-2003, 06:37 PM

bumpo
Old 04-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I did EGR first, then rear bolts hand tight, then front bolts hand tight. No problems for me.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:44 AM

Well I already have the manifold on and now I just have to bring the EGR vavle to manifold buy slightly bending it upwards...worse comes to worse Ill have to take the manifold off again

-matt
Old 04-15-2003, 08:36 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by matty
Well I already have the manifold on and now I just have to bring the EGR vavle to manifold buy slightly bending it upwards...worse comes to worse Ill have to take the manifold off again

-matt
You might. Briguymax helped me install mine, he had done 2 previously, and mentioned that the EGR valve needed to go on first.