4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to clean CRAYON of your cloth interior??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 04:43 AM

How to clean CRAYON of your cloth interior??

Has anybody ever had green crayon on their cloth interior? Anybody know a good way of cleaning it? I have tried everything I can think to try so that is why I ask? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:15 AM
KFL

If the kids got a little too busy in the back seat, there are some quick fixes for crayon messes. First, scrape what crayon you can off the area. You can do this with a spoon, metal edged spatula or dull knife. Spray WD-40 (or similar lubricant) on the stain and wait three to five minutes. With a stiff, bristle brush, work the area around the stain and then dry with paper towel. Reapply WD-40 and add a small amount of dishwashing detergent to the stain. With a damp sponge, work the fibers until the remainder of the stain lifts. Repeat, if necessary.

Got no clue if it works but thats what the came up.Good Luck!
Old 04-15-2003, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by KFL
If the kids got a little too busy in the back seat, there are some quick fixes for crayon messes. First, scrape what crayon you can off the area. You can do this with a spoon, metal edged spatula or dull knife. Spray WD-40 (or similar lubricant) on the stain and wait three to five minutes. With a stiff, bristle brush, work the area around the stain and then dry with paper towel. Reapply WD-40 and add a small amount of dishwashing detergent to the stain. With a damp sponge, work the fibers until the remainder of the stain lifts. Repeat, if necessary.

Thanks man its worth a try. Little one left a green crayon in the back seat on the first hot day of the year
Old 04-15-2003, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by KFL

You have no idea if it works? ROFLMAO. Bwahahahahaha That has to be one of the funniest things I've seen on the Org. Anyway, hope it works out for u man, or else that spot is gonna end up even worse than before.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:52 AM

Do not use the WD-40 it could be worse than the Crayon. Take a hot iron and wax paper. Scrape excess crayon off the cloth then apply the wax paper over the crayon and apply the iron to heat up the crayon under the wax paper. Let cool and lift off the wax paper with the crayon attached underneath. This should work great!
Old 04-15-2003, 08:24 AM

Try some "Goo-gone" or any other adhesive remover... That should work
Old 04-15-2003, 08:56 AM

wax paper? isnt that what crayons are made of? and an iron? to heat the wax on the wax paper, is heated wax what caused the guys problem in the first placE?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:03 AM

It works the wax won't come off the wax paper. You only heat it enough to heat up the crayon. It works!
Old 04-15-2003, 09:29 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

ahahahha u guys are all nuts

what have you tried so far??
Old 04-15-2003, 10:25 AM

Alright now im getting skerred!!! Nadir what I have tried is goo gone and I tried to scrape it off with a butter knife. That worked a little but the stain seems like it is permanent. The wax paper is kind of scary. I actually tried a damp cloth with dishwashing soap and it did nothing. Looking for some more suggestions. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:34 AM

There was puke in my backseat (don't ask) and to clean it up I used ivory dishwashing soap and water. In a ratio of 20:1 (water:soap) and a brissled brush. Try not to get the area too wet. Scrub it down, and then use a wet dry vac to suck up the excess water. Then use a towel to dry it up pretty good. I got dirt and puke stains out with this, so who knows what else it can do.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:41 AM

Since you don't like the wax paper idea, use oxy clean. I use this stuff on everything. The wax paper idea works by the way.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
Since you don't like the wax paper idea, use oxy clean. I use this stuff on everything. The wax paper idea works by the way.

I don't think the wax is a bad idea im just afraid to burn my seat. oxy clean?
Old 04-15-2003, 11:10 AM

use paint thinner. It won't meesup the color of the fabrics and it works great cleaning stains. I've used it before to clean grease from my carpet.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
Wax is not your typical hydrocarbon. Not many things dissolve wax very easily. Acetone is one of them, but you'll probably end up melting your seats if they aren't 100% cotton.

Remedy: Use a Paper Bag and an Iron. Put the paper bag between the iron and it will soak up the wax as it melts. Repeat until wax is soaked up. Don't use wax paper, use a regular brown paper bag. You can even use Folded over paper towels.

Any attempt to use solvents won't work. Wax is not like grease, at all
Old 04-15-2003, 12:30 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by MacGyver265

Wax is not your typical hydrocarbon. Not many things dissolve wax very easily. Acetone is one of them, but you'll probably end up melting your seats if they aren't 100% cotton.

Remedy: Use a Paper Bag and an Iron. Put the paper bag between the iron and it will soak up the wax as it melts. Repeat until wax is soaked up. Don't use wax paper, use a regular brown paper bag. You can even use Folded over paper towels.

Paper towels work well also.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by MacGyver265

lol your like that MacGyver from the show.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by MAXSRB

lol your like that MacGyver from the show.
MacGyver!!!! Im trying this when I get home.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Cheesing away...

Try Spot Shot or Goo-be-gone.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:25 PM

to prevent future crayon marks, you should sell your kids on the black market and use the money for more mods. thats what i would do
Old 04-15-2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Dstyle
to prevent future crayon marks, you should sell your kids on the black market and use the money for more mods. thats what i would do
I have one and I have not had a good offer....You know anybody looking for a 2yr old princess when she is not throwing crayons in your back seat?
Old 04-16-2003, 08:57 AM
KFL

FYI
I took a crayon to my older accord cloth seats, and messed up that bad boy up about 3 heavy lines pretty stuck on there. Busted out WD40
and it took it out pretty much. Then it evaporated quick and proceeded to cleanit off with a little soap for a fresh clean smell.
The things I do....
Old 04-16-2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by KFL
FYI
I took a crayon to my older accord cloth seats, and messed up that bad boy up about 3 heavy lines pretty stuck on there. Busted out WD40
and it took it out pretty much. Then it evaporated quick and proceeded to cleanit off with a little soap for a fresh clean smell.
The things I do....
The biggest problem isn't with just marks on the seats, but rather when the car sits out in the sun and the inside gets about 120 degrees. Then all that crayon melts into the fabric. That's the real bish.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Dstyle
if only it were that easy. "hey honey, its time to have another kid, i need a good set of rims and a supercharger"
Old 04-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

put some windex on it
Old 04-16-2003, 11:49 AM

I work with melted wax at work on a daily basis (dont ask). When we accidentally spill it or splash it on stuff we bust out the WD-40. Works like a charm. I'm very aware that wax doesn't dissolve in many solvents but WD-40 seems to work.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by kchida
I work with melted wax at work on a daily basis (dont ask). When we accidentally spill it or splash it on stuff we bust out the WD-40. Works like a charm. I'm very aware that wax doesn't dissolve in many solvents but WD-40 seems to work.
Now the problem lies in getting the WD-40 stank out of your car.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:32 PM
"I'm running with scissors!"

Re: How to clean CRAYON of your cloth interior??

Originally posted by los-maxin1
Has anybody ever had green crayon on their cloth interior? Anybody know a good way of cleaning it? I have tried everything I can think to try so that is why I ask? Thanks in advance.
get some wax and grease remover with a toothbrush. it worked on my buddies car. it was car-wax but wax is wax