4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 03:06 PM

Transmission Issues

Guys, I need your help please. While driving this moring my ECU trips - I got the 05-04 - Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU - I go ahead and reset and the ECU gives me the 05-05 code for all clear. Then after work I get on the highway and the damn check engine light just goes nuts on me - flashes with no pattern except it speeds up when i hit the gas and then just goes off as soon as i take my foot of the pedal.

I am going on a 400 mile trip tomorrow - so any feedback will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Re: Transmission Issues

Originally posted by shariqahmed
Guys, I need your help please. While driving this moring my ECU trips - I got the 05-04 - Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU - I go ahead and reset and the ECU gives me the 05-05 code for all clear. Then after work I get on the highway and the damn check engine light just goes nuts on me - flashes with no pattern except it speeds up when i hit the gas and then just goes off as soon as i take my foot of the pedal.

I am going on a 400 mile trip tomorrow - so any feedback will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

You have problem with your transmision. Just take it to a Tranny shop, and have them check it out for your. it could be bad cable or something.
If the code keeps coming back that means there is diffinitly a prolbme.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:40 PM

Re: Transmission Issues

Originally posted by shariqahmed

When you say it speeds up.. are you talking about your check engine light? Is it possible you didn't put it back in the counter clockwise position? I've done that before and that made it act all stupid. Hopefully its nothing besides that.. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nonono

you simply didn't reset your computer all the way and it's in O2 sensory mode.

The more you gas it, the more it blinks.

Reset it again, and remember:

Step A: twist clockwise to the stop, wait 4 seconds
Step B: twist counter-clockwise back to the original position.
Step C: DO STEP A and B AGAIN.....

If you don't do it twice, it will not reset properly, thus your problem.

IanS
Old 04-16-2003, 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the posts. I did reset the ECU - but did again just to make sure. Have not taken the car out - if the light comes back on - its off to the tranny shop. This could end up being very bad news - only 100,000 miles on it too