4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5spd Conversion - axle question #2

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 09:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5spd Conversion - axle question #2

Question:

I need to know if I actually need the passenger side axle when doing the 5spd conversion.

I'd rather keep the Raxles one from the Auto on if I can....It's practically brand new. I know you need the driver's side axle, but what about the passenger side?

I heard somewhere you don't need it, but want to verify on the .org.

Thanks!
IanS
Old 04-17-2003, 10:23 PM

Call up Marty..he'll tell you straight forward

-matt
Old 04-17-2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by matty
Call up Marty..he'll tell you straight forward

-matt
Yeah...that's who I heard it from originally, but I forget exactly what he said....
Old 04-17-2003, 11:25 PM
Ramius83

For the conversion, you will only need to change the driver's side axle to the 5-speed version....

Old 04-18-2003, 12:03 AM
I H8 COPS

Buy a 5-spd maxima instead. Save yourself the trouble and the money.

Old 04-18-2003, 12:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

Don't reply on topics you don't have a clue on. Save yourself some humiliation.

he already has a supercharged 4-gen and has a 5-sp ready to swap.

Originally posted by I H8 COPS
Old 04-18-2003, 05:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by I H8 COPS
You are a prime example of why animals eat their young.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:13 AM

Old 04-18-2003, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Don't reply on topics you don't have a clue on. Save yourself some humiliation.

he already has a supercharged 4-gen and has a 5-sp ready to swap.

Old 04-18-2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by iansw

Awesome Ian! I am very excitied for you getting a 5speed!

now if I could just get my MEVI installed :>
Old 04-18-2003, 08:20 PM
silver99

I agree with the dude that said buy a 5spd. I dont understand why you wouldnt buy a maxima 5spd to begin with if your so hard for it.

Old 04-18-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by silver99
I agree with the dude that said buy a 5spd. I dont understand why you wouldnt buy a maxima 5spd to begin with if your so hard for it.
Hence Newbie
Old 04-18-2003, 09:12 PM

Because I spent 4 months looking for a 5spd in the first place, and the only one I found was $4000 more with the same mileage as the one I bought.

MUCH cheaper this way, and it's not hard to do anyway with a few friends and a weekend.

I'm too modded and frankly emotionally attached to my car now to get rid of it.....and I'd lose money on the loan at this point anyway.

And I'll know EXACTLY what is going on in my tranny from the get-go, have an ACT Clutch and PaceSetter STS from the get-go, and the satisfaction of a job well done and accomplished.

The coolest thing to me about my car is that not one mod on it (Except the Y-Pipe <Thanks Jeff92SE>) wasn't installed by myself. (With the help of some friends as backup/support at times)

Silly newbs....
Old 04-19-2003, 01:47 AM

Because I spent 4 months looking for a 5spd in the first place, and the only one I found was $4000 more with the same mileage as the one I bought.

MUCH cheaper this way, and it's not hard to do anyway with a few friends and a weekend.

I'm too modded and frankly emotionally attached to my car now to get rid of it.....and I'd lose money on the loan at this point anyway.

And I'll know EXACTLY what is going on in my tranny from the get-go, have an ACT Clutch and PaceSetter STS from the get-go, and the satisfaction of a job well done and accomplished.

The coolest thing to me about my car is that not one mod on it (Except the Y-Pipe <Thanks Jeff92SE>) wasn't installed by myself. (With the help of some friends as backup/support at times)

Silly newbs....
Cool, so your converting too? I'm right now in the process of looking for an LSD 5-spd tranny and I have found a few, I just need to get replies back from my emails. I'm going by Hal's "hlh0501" conversion part list where he says you would need both axles, and they have to be ABS specific if you currently have ABS. Anyway, I know exactly where your coming from when initially getting an auto. I would like to know how many 4th gens have actually converted already so I might start a new thread on it including conversion advice on which clutch and STS to get.

-Ben
Old 04-19-2003, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Cool, so your converting too? I'm right now in the process of looking for an LSD 5-spd tranny and I have found a few, I just need to get replies back from my emails. I'm going by Hal's "hlh0501" conversion part list where he says you would need both axles, and they have to be ABS specific if you currently have ABS. Anyway, I know exactly where your coming from when initially getting an auto. I would like to know how many 4th gens have actually converted already so I might start a new thread on it including conversion advice on which clutch and STS to get.

-Ben
I think there was a list somewhere - but search is gone for alot of people.

I ended up getting non-LSD, because I got a great deal on everything ($600 for all conversion parts).

Yesterday I went to the Nissan Dealer and verified - the passenger side axle is the same for both 5spd and manual...ABS or not. SO you only need a Driver's side axle.

IanS
Old 04-19-2003, 10:50 AM
silver99

When I bought my auto there was 6 maximas to chose from in the sterling mist color I wanted. That was all at the same dealership. I could have gotten 5spd easier and cheaper when I decided to upgrade. I could also trade my car in right now for 5spd and only loose like 2k due to title/tags and cost difference. So sorry for my narrow mindedness, its just an extremely different situation where I live.

Old 04-19-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by silver99
When I bought my auto there was 6 maximas to chose from in the sterling mist color I wanted. That was all at the same dealership. I could have gotten 5spd easier and cheaper when I decided to upgrade. I could also trade my car in right now for 5spd and only loose like 2k due to title/tags and cost difference. So sorry for my narrow mindedness, its just an extremely different situation where I live.
huh
Old 04-19-2003, 01:19 PM

yeah well idk about you guys but I have only found a total of about 3 5-speeds which are usually way out of my price range so the 5 speed conversion is looking more and more viable since automatics are coming so cheap ;(.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:07 PM
silver99

Originally posted by johnvt1111

Hence Newbie
Hence Moron.... OMG yah ima go buy a auto maxima and convert it to 5spd. Call me a newbie all you want, least ima not a dumb a$$.

Old 04-19-2003, 04:52 PM

Hence Moron.... OMG yah ima go buy a auto maxima and convert it to 5spd. Call me a newbie all you want, least ima not a dumb a$$. [/B][/QUOTE]

the fact that when people buy the cars maybe they aren't thinking about converting it to a 5 spd, therefore they buy auto's because for everyday drivign they want something practical (not that 5 spds aren't...) but then for performance you need to have a 5 spd to hold up with real power, so why don't you take your dumbass back to some dealership to do your car work for you.....i was calling you a newbie, i wasn't attacking you but if you have a problem, i live in pa, same place as you so, when i get home from school maybe we could meet up somewhere......
Old 04-19-2003, 07:39 PM
silver99

Hence Moron.... OMG yah ima go buy a auto maxima and convert it to 5spd. Call me a newbie all you want, least ima not a dumb a$$.
the fact that when people buy the cars maybe they aren't thinking about converting it to a 5 spd, therefore they buy auto's because for everyday drivign they want something practical (not that 5 spds aren't...) but then for performance you need to have a 5 spd to hold up with real power, so why don't you take your dumbass back to some dealership to do your car work for you.....i was calling you a newbie, i wasn't attacking you but if you have a problem, i live in pa, same place as you so, when i get home from school maybe we could meet up somewhere...... [/B][/QUOTE]

I can understand how what I said could have confused you. NOT
Dealership do work for me? I dunno how we got that idea. What i was saying was i could trade my auto in for a 5spd for about the same as the conversion. BTW im not in HS anymore so I dont look forward to after school fights, sorry...

However, I am looking for a few locals to red light with and have some fun.

Old 04-19-2003, 07:42 PM
silver99

huh
OK I COULD HAVE BOUGHT 5spd EASY. The guy said the reason he bought auto was because of limited 5spd maximas in his area for sale, not because he didnt think of it when he bought it. This also applies to johnvt1111's comment.

Old 04-20-2003, 07:06 PM

I think there was a list somewhere - but search is gone for alot of people.

I ended up getting non-LSD, because I got a great deal on everything ($600 for all conversion parts).

Yesterday I went to the Nissan Dealer and verified - the passenger side axle is the same for both 5spd and manual...ABS or not. SO you only need a Driver's side axle.

IanS
wow, how did you get such a good deal? i went to car-part.com and it seems like just the tranny itself would be $600.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by aznsap

wow, how did you get such a good deal? i went to car-part.com and it seems like just the tranny itself would be $600.
I bought it from someone here on the .org who decided after they bought all the parts that they didn't want to do it....and sold them to me.

Tranny, clutch, flywheel are in, Auto Shifter is out, 5spd shifter is ready to go in...axles are re-attached.

Only things left are clutch lines, shift rod install, and wiring....

Old 04-20-2003, 07:41 PM

I bought it from someone here on the .org who decided after they bought all the parts that they didn't want to do it....and sold them to me.

Tranny, clutch, flywheel are in, Auto Shifter is out, 5spd shifter is ready to go in...axles are re-attached.

Only things left are clutch lines, shift rod install, and wiring....

got pics?
Old 04-20-2003, 09:30 PM

got pics?
Left the camera in the garage that I was working in today.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

IanS
Old 04-20-2003, 09:43 PM

Left the camera in the garage that I was working in today.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

IanS
So how long is the install taking you? I'm still waiting to hear from the junkyards who have the lsd trannies, if not I have a non-lsd tranny at a junkyard for like $800 shipped for all the conversion parts minus STS and clutch, I might just jump on that.

-Ben
Old 04-20-2003, 09:45 PM

So how long is the install taking you? I'm still waiting to hear from the junkyards who have the lsd trannies, if not I have a non-lsd tranny at a junkyard for like $800 shipped for all the conversion parts minus STS and clutch, I might just jump on that.

-Ben
Well, figuring out the bearing issue took a little while, since I had to post on the org, run up to the Nissan Dealer and have a look at the FSM....that total took 5 hours of yesterday to figure out. (Turned out to be a rod retaining bearing, but I didn't know that at first)

Got the bearing back in place and then bolted the tranny back together at 1pm yesterday and started work in earnest....at 5pm, we shut down because alot of people had to leave.

Started at 8am this morning, finished again at 5pm.

About 3 hours of work left at the most.

So total should be about 15 hours of work.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:49 PM

Wow ians, finding ways to cut corners on cost? Wish i knew this.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Wow ians, finding ways to cut corners on cost? Wish i knew this.
Whaddya mean?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:04 PM

Well, figuring out the bearing issue took a little while, since I had to post on the org, run up to the Nissan Dealer and have a look at the FSM....that total took 5 hours of yesterday to figure out. (Turned out to be a rod retaining bearing, but I didn't know that at first)

Got the bearing back in place and then bolted the tranny back together at 1pm yesterday and started work in earnest....at 5pm, we shut down because alot of people had to leave.

Started at 8am this morning, finished again at 5pm.

About 3 hours of work left at the most.

So total should be about 15 hours of work.
Cool so about 15 hours eh? Thats cool with me. The sc install took me about 30 hours total. I'm glad to hear the conversion isn't as time consuming, hopefully I get all the parts and they are in good condition.

-Ben
Old 04-20-2003, 10:32 PM

Cool so about 15 hours eh? Thats cool with me. The sc install took me about 30 hours total. I'm glad to hear the conversion isn't as time consuming, hopefully I get all the parts and they are in good condition.

-Ben
If I didn't have a guy that's done it before, it would have easily taken 2x longer.....

(Thanks again, mtrai760)
Old 04-20-2003, 10:41 PM
Banned

Re: 5spd Conversion - axle question #2

Question:

I need to know if I actually need the passenger side axle when doing the 5spd conversion.

I'd rather keep the Raxles one from the Auto on if I can....It's practically brand new. I know you need the driver's side axle, but what about the passenger side?

I heard somewhere you don't need it, but want to verify on the .org.

Thanks!
IanS

dont use the shi!!y 4 th generation 5 speed,sooner or later you'll regret it.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:43 PM

Re: Re: 5spd Conversion - axle question #2

Originally posted by 96_Infiniti_I30

It's a little late for that.

Yeah, I know about all the nightmares, and fully expect that there is a possibility I will be replacing this one someday....

But that's OK - for $600, I couldn't resist.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:47 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: 5spd Conversion - axle question #2

It's a little late for that.

Yeah, I know about all the nightmares, and fully expect that there is a possibility I will be replacing this one someday....

But that's OK - for $600, I couldn't resist.
im dealing with the problem as we speak,hopefully if i rebuild it, it will fix the problem permenately.hopefully.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5spd Conversion - axle question #2

im dealing with the problem as we speak,hopefully if i rebuild it, it will fix the problem permenately.hopefully.
I'm sure I will be interested in how to make our trannys last longer when my rebuild time comes .... or what tranny to get ... I already have a quiafe though ...
Old 04-21-2003, 08:05 AM

Re: Re: 5spd Conversion - axle question #2

what do you mean drop a 6 spd tranny in?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: 5spd Conversion - axle question #2

what do you mean drop a 6 spd tranny in?
I thought he meant the 2000, because it's physically newer....although it's the exact same tranny.

Old 04-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Ramius83

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5spd Conversion - axle question #2

I thought he meant the 2000, because it's physically newer....although it's the exact same tranny.

The internals are the same, but the mounting holes and casing are totally different from ours....

Old 04-21-2003, 08:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5spd Conversion - axle question #2

Originally posted by Ramius83

The internals are the same, but the mounting holes and casing are totally different from ours....

Much like the Altima Trannies.

So what was he talking about then!?

Quick Reply: 5spd Conversion - axle question #2