4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A few questions to those who have converted to 5-spd...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 02:02 AM

A few questions to those who have converted to 5-spd...

Ok, so I'm currently shopping for all the parts for the auto to manual conversion on my 1997 GLE. I'm going by Hal's "hlh0501" conversion part list and would like to hear from others who have converted already. Since I'll most likely get most of the parts from www.car-parts.com and other parts from a local Nissan dealer, I'm still new to driving a manual and its realted parts. Being that I'm blown pushing 275hp/253tq to the wheels, I need to know what is ths preferred clutch and STS that all the other Max drivers are relying on, Pacesetter, ACT, Exedy? Should I worry about getting the lightened flywheel now, or could I just install that later since I'm somewhat in a budget and I'm thinking that's just for more HP where the SC is doing enough for me now? I currently found a few 5-spd trannies with LSD or locking differential as other are referring to, is there a certain year of trannies that aren't compatible with my 1997, I assume any LSD tranny from a 95-99 Maxima and a 96-99 I30 would work? When I installed my SC, it took me a total of 30 hours, how long would this conversion take me? Is it much more difficult than the SC install? I found the SC install pretty moderate, but would like to know how much time to expect to do the conversion in if I was to have a second set of hands to help me? I have ABS which Hal claims to be a little more time consuming, anyone else convert their Max w/ ABS? I'm really excited I've got this project on the roll and can't wait till all the parts arrive. Well, sorry for all the questions, though I'm pretty sure I'll have alot more on this thread when I start the actual conversion. All replies will be appreciated. Thanks.

-Ben
Old 04-19-2003, 03:02 AM

Re: A few questions to those who have converted to 5-spd...

I think you would be fine with the ACT clutch. I've got 352tq and it doesn't slip at all. I use a pacesetter sts and it works good. I don't know about the flywheel, haven't had any experiences with it. Any 5-speed from those 95-99 will work, I've got a 97 in my 99. The conversion took me about 22 hours. Not really too hard, just alot of wrench turning. I would think that you could do it no problem if you did your SC. I didn't have ABS, so I can't say about that. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: A few questions to those who have converted to 5-spd...

Originally posted by Iron Lung
I think you would be fine with the ACT clutch. I've got 352tq and it doesn't slip at all. I use a pacesetter sts and it works good. I don't know about the flywheel, haven't had any experiences with it. Any 5-speed from those 95-99 will work, I've got a 97 in my 99. The conversion took me about 22 hours. Not really too hard, just alot of wrench turning. I would think that you could do it no problem if you did your SC. I didn't have ABS, so I can't say about that. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. Yea, I was looking on the write-up on the conversion, and it looks like its just alot of bolt removal and replacing. Hopefully its as easy as it sounds.

-Ben
Old 04-19-2003, 10:01 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: A few questions to those who have converted to 5-spd...

Originally posted by Iron Lung
I think you would be fine with the ACT clutch. I've got 352tq and it doesn't slip at all. I use a pacesetter sts and it works good.

Is that 352tq to the ground or at the flywheel? Also, that's nitrous torque so it's gonna hit harder then SC torque. That means if your ACT can take it (esp if thats wheel torque) then Ben will have no problems whatsoever.

I'm running the 3.33"|6:1 disc, about 8psi, and my clutch is doing fine.

And I also agree about the pacesetter, I have one, and it looks and performs great.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: A few questions to those who have converted to 5-spd...

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Is that 352tq to the ground or at the flywheel?
to the ground