4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cleaning your headlight housings...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 04:45 PM

Cleaning your headlight housings...

I just got a pair of used 99 headlight housings. I cleaned the outside, but still looks dirty from the inside. Whats the best product to use to clean the plastic cover as well as the chrome part inside on the housing itself? I dont want to mess up, and I want it as clear as its suppose to be!
Old 04-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Old Timer

Re: Cleaning your headlight housings...

Originally posted by D1NOnly34
I just got a pair of used 99 headlight housings. I cleaned the outside, but still looks dirty from the inside. Whats the best product to use to clean the plastic cover as well as the chrome part inside on the housing itself? I dont want to mess up, and I want it as clear as its suppose to be!
You can take the lens off of the housing and clean it. You'd do it just like doing the red/clear conversion for the tails. I took mine apart and did the AE headlights for the 4th gen. As for cleaning em, get some plexi polish from autozone for the lens, and some windex should work good on the reflector. Write up for AEs is on VQPower.com if ya wanna see how they look. OR my webpage. Good luck

David
Old 04-20-2003, 05:57 PM

Re: Re: Cleaning your headlight housings...

Originally posted by d_warner

You can take the lens off of the housing and clean it. You'd do it just like doing the red/clear conversion for the tails. I took mine apart and did the AE headlights for the 4th gen. As for cleaning em, get some plexi polish from autozone for the lens, and some windex should work good on the reflector. Write up for AEs is on VQPower.com if ya wanna see how they look. OR my webpage. Good luck

David
Thanks
Old 04-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I cleaned the inside of my housings last week, here's what I did.

Remove them from the car and bring them inside to clean. Spray a good amount of windex inside the housing, add a bit of water and one half of a piece of paper towel. (sounds crazy right?) Swish the windex and the towel all over the inside of the housing, like a sponge. Then dump the windex and water out, get the piece of paper towel out and rinse with plenty of warm water.

Next put another 1/2 piece of paper towel inside. Use good lint free towels and shake it around to soak up as much water as possible. I repeated that 3 times with 3 clean dry pieces of towel. Most of the water is absorbed into the towels but the inside is still wet. Next place them in the sun, lense face up, for about 3 hours or until there nice and dry inside. Reinstall them in your car and admire the crisp clean shiny silver insides!

Worked perfect for me, the housings look like brand new. Polish the outside of the lense with rubbing compond and then a nice polish and they come out crystal clear.

The best part of doing it this way instead of taking the glass off, which is tricky, is that the seal is never broken.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:37 PM

Re: Re: Cleaning your headlight housings...

Did you have to re-aim the headlights when you reinstalled them?

Originally posted by d_warner

David
Old 04-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how do you get the headlight assembly off in the first place...i want to clean mine out
Old 04-20-2003, 11:44 PM
Old Timer

Originally posted by joeymaxima
how do you get the headlight assembly off in the first place...i want to clean mine out

Ummm. Take off the grill. Like 5 clips. Then theres 4 nuts on the back of each housing. Make sure you unplug your lights.

David
Old 04-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I cleaned the inside of my housings last week, here's what I did.

Remove them from the car and bring them inside to clean. Spray a good amount of windex inside the housing, add a bit of water and one half of a piece of paper towel. (sounds crazy right?) Swish the windex and the towel all over the inside of the housing, like a sponge. Then dump the windex and water out, get the piece of paper towel out and rinse with plenty of warm water.

Next put another 1/2 piece of paper towel inside. Use good lint free towels and shake it around to soak up as much water as possible. I repeated that 3 times with 3 clean dry pieces of towel. Most of the water is absorbed into the towels but the inside is still wet. Next place them in the sun, lense face up, for about 3 hours or until there nice and dry inside. Reinstall them in your car and admire the crisp clean shiny silver insides!

Worked perfect for me, the housings look like brand new. Polish the outside of the lense with rubbing compond and then a nice polish and they come out crystal clear.

The best part of doing it this way instead of taking the glass off, which is tricky, is that the seal is never broken.

That's a sweet trick, I'm going to give that a try before I try taking the housing apart