4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission Troubles....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 06:47 PM
will fly for food

Transmission Troubles....

My '99 SE automatic has a semi-bad transmission problem... it wont shift into o/d when I'm on the interstate sometimes, so when I'm running 80mph it's up around 4K rpms.... when it does shift into O/D it's only for a brief moment and then it jumps right back to the previous gear and the rpms go right back up to 4K. Some of the shifts are also rough from 1-2, and 2-1. What could be some of my problems? My car is still under the 5/60000 warranty, and I'm taking it up to the dealer for repairs this week, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas to what this might be, or if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:36 PM

Re: Transmission Troubles....

Originally posted by Maxima99SEbose
My '99 SE automatic has a semi-bad transmission problem... it wont shift into o/d when I'm on the interstate sometimes, so when I'm running 80mph it's up around 4K rpms.... when it does shift into O/D it's only for a brief moment and then it jumps right back to the previous gear and the rpms go right back up to 4K. Some of the shifts are also rough from 1-2, and 2-1. What could be some of my problems? My car is still under the 5/60000 warranty, and I'm taking it up to the dealer for repairs this week, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas to what this might be, or if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks!
sounds like my old 626 with tranny problems hard shifts in 1-2 2-1 and wouldn't shift into 4th gear.. pos.. tranny died.. heh
Old 04-21-2003, 08:50 PM

Re: Transmission Troubles....

Originally posted by Maxima99SEbose

Thank GOD for warranties! Its their problem to fix.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:38 AM
will fly for food

Re: Re: Transmission Troubles....

Originally posted by tampamax

Thank GOD for warranties! Its their problem to fix.
this is true... I just hope they cooperate, and not throw in any 'extra little charges not covered by warranty'
Old 04-22-2003, 11:26 AM

i just had to replace my tranny, some places will give u lotsa crap about any mods, probably best to pull em off if possible before bringing it into the dealer...
Old 04-24-2003, 11:41 AM
will fly for food

I heard from nissan today, they said it was my automatic transmission temperature control sensor...or something along those lines, it sounds expensive so thank God I have a warranty on it still!
Old 04-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

That makes sense, the torque converter will only lock up when the tranny is up to operating temperature. The sensor is easy to replace. Drop the pan and you'll see the sensor and plug right on the side of the valve body. Make sure they clean the magnets in the bottom of the pan while it's down.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:47 AM
will fly for food

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
That makes sense, the torque converter will only lock up when the tranny is up to operating temperature. The sensor is easy to replace. Drop the pan and you'll see the sensor and plug right on the side of the valve body. Make sure they clean the magnets in the bottom of the pan while it's down.
It wasn't that.....or anything else they have told me... My car is still at the Service Dept. of my Stealership. After more than a week of being looked at and trying to figure out what is wrong with the tranny, they have called tech support for nissan, and they can't even figure out whats wrong with it, so they are bringing someone in to take a look at it... until then I am stuck driving a nissan SENTRA (loaner from the stealership). Anyone have any similar problems?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:12 AM

they are probably trying to fix it without giving you a new transmission or rebuilding it.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:02 AM
will fly for food

too cheap to replace, so they have to let my car sit there and waste away, hanging lifeless in their shop while they waste my time telling me they cant find a problem...some service from my stealership
Old 05-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a 99 SE with 64,000 miles and have had no AT problems yet. Knock on wood...

Pedro
Old 05-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Call their general manager, not the service manager and explain to him/her, nicely, that you are concerned about your car spending so much time in their shop. Furthermore tell him/her that you really appreciate their loaner car, but you want yours back in working order as it is stated in your Nissan warranty. Send them a registered letter stating the same thing as well.

A good paper trail will eliminate most of the potential headaches if the stealership gets nasty. I am helping a freind with his FORD pickup and the lawyers got real attentive when we said we had letters AND return receipts. Only costs a couple of bucks but it lets the stealership know you mean business. Don't get nasty, be nice - but firm.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:10 AM
will fly for food

Called and talked to them...Getting it back today (supposedly). They said it was a bad transmission solenoid and the computer @ their shop & in my car just took its sweet time to recognize the problem part had been changed!
Old 05-06-2003, 07:53 AM

Any more Info?

If you can - find out the exact part number(s) and the problem/cure and post it. I have the same problem on my 95 - started at 92K miles - I'm at 140K now as the problem never got any worse so I just dealt with it. I assumed it was never a 'hard' tranny problem or it would simply have died by now. Anyway, I had posted quite a while back and someone mentioned a couple of sensors that were responsible for monitoring the differnet gears but I have long since deleted the diagnosis and solution. So, maybe I can get some good info from you. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:08 PM
will fly for food

Re: Any more Info?

Originally posted by bamabob
If you can - find out the exact part number(s) and the problem/cure and post it. I have the same problem on my 95 - started at 92K miles - I'm at 140K now as the problem never got any worse so I just dealt with it. I assumed it was never a 'hard' tranny problem or it would simply have died by now. Anyway, I had posted quite a while back and someone mentioned a couple of sensors that were responsible for monitoring the differnet gears but I have long since deleted the diagnosis and solution. So, maybe I can get some good info from you. Thanks.
FINALLY got my car back.... here's what was wrong 'Gasket-Oil Pan' part #31397-80x01 ... 'Solenoid Contro (transmission?' part #31940-80x05 and they changed the tranny fluid... good luck with yours!

btw, I don't have the prices on this stuff because they didn't list any due to the warranty covering it all