4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

brand x mid-pipe on ebay, hows it compare to frankencar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 08:06 PM

Re: Anyone know if this mid-pipe can be used with the stock airbox?

Originally posted by KWheelzSB
-or will it be too long to fit between the intake manifold and the MAF outlet?

TIA,

-K-
B-U-M-P

Anyone know the answer?

Old 04-30-2003, 08:17 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Re: Re: Anyone know if this mid-pipe can be used with the stock airbox?

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

B-U-M-P

Anyone know the answer?

sorry, but it ain't gonna fit with the stock box definately gonna need an aftermarket filter
Old 04-30-2003, 08:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Anyone know if this mid-pipe can be used with the stock airbox?

Originally posted by nismos14

sorry, but it ain't gonna fit with the stock box definately gonna need an aftermarket filter
IC - too bad 4-me, thanks for the reply NEway. . .
Old 04-30-2003, 09:25 PM
JsL

I have that midpipe with a apexi filter. I noticed an increase in hissing after the midpipe, which is normal. I think it sound cool. The midpipe probably doesn't do much, but its good to take out the oil catcher and the accordian section to smooth out air flow.

I suggest you get the RVM midpipe, it cheaper and practically the same. Don't forget to compliment the intake with a ypipe also. I would go budget with the ypipe, its really cheap. I don't have any problems with it.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:32 AM
The original VQ...

i bought that **** and the hoses he gives dont fit but other than that its the same thing as a franken car only cheaper
Old 05-01-2003, 09:10 AM

Re: brand x mid-pipe on ebay, hows it compare to frankencar?

I originally just made my own using the stock flexy piece of the intake a 3" rubber coupling and just connecting it all. Then I got a free piece, which was the top half of a CAI and it looks better but feels and sounds exactly the same as the old set up. This one is just more permanent.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
i bought that **** and the hoses he gives dont fit but other than that its the same thing as a franken car only cheaper
So did you end up buying new hoses ? i bought the same on as you but the blue hose doesn't fit either and it only came with one anyway. What size hoses should I go pick up? Also, the silicone couplers are a little loose, as in you can see light through them when they fit over the metal, but I supposed the clamps will fix that problem.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:06 AM

I recently made my own mid-pipe for my Stillen pop-charger set-up. I had the fittings sealed with silicone but, the larger fitting came loose. So, I took it to the meineke shop and they welded the fittings to the pipe for free. Well, when I had this done I changed back to the black resonator box and it felt like I lost some low end power. The throttle also was less responsive. This is just my observation, so go ahead and flame me. I don't think it is worth paying frankencar $70 for the mid-pipe or ebay. Do it yourself and save some money. I did upgrade the coupler from the one listed in the instructions to a more rigid one, it was twice the price. So my midpipe cost me probably $20 painted and all.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
I recently made my own mid-pipe for my Stillen pop-charger set-up. I had the fittings sealed with silicone but, the larger fitting came loose. So, I took it to the meineke shop and they welded the fittings to the pipe for free. Well, when I had this done I changed back to the black resonator box and it felt like I lost some low end power. The throttle also was less responsive. This is just my observation, so go ahead and flame me. I don't think it is worth paying frankencar $70 for the mid-pipe or ebay. Do it yourself and save some money. I did upgrade the coupler from the one listed in the instructions to a more rigid one, it was twice the price. So my midpipe cost me probably $20 painted and all.
WHere did you find a more rigid coupler and what dimensions did you get? I'd be interested in getting new silicon couplers and hoses for my midpipe so they fit better.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:23 PM

I got the coupler at Lowes it is a 3'' to 3'' coupler that I found in the plumbing department it is made by Fernco. The coupler has a stationary sheet metal sheath around the outside of the rubber fitting. I didn't like the construction of the other coupler at all so I got this one.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:37 PM

Does the 3" to 3" coupler go from the TB to the pipe or from the pipe to the MAF? I'd like to replace both of them...or are both sides 3" to 3" with neither requiring a reducing.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:01 PM
The original VQ...

Originally posted by bb0ys

So did you end up buying new hoses ? i bought the same on as you but the blue hose doesn't fit either and it only came with one anyway. What size hoses should I go pick up? Also, the silicone couplers are a little loose, as in you can see light through them when they fit over the metal, but I supposed the clamps will fix that problem.
ya i went to advanced auto pats and boughtabout 2 feet of 3/4 inch hoses , i dont really care cause it was oly like 5 bucks but the d!ck showed a pic with all the hoses and everything.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:18 PM

This is the coupler
I got everything i need, except for a mounting bracket so that the piping doesn't bounce around in there. Anyone got an idea regarding the securing of the intake?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:47 PM

The coupler I was talking about was from the mid-pipe to the MAF. You might be able to make it work from the TB to the mid-pipe though?