4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i'm still confuse about which spec of y pipe for me

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 01:19 AM

i'm still confuse about which spec of y pipe for me

i have already read lots of thread on y-pipe. some say count how many O2 sensors there are, some say just read off the VIN.

my max is a 96 and the VIN says it's a california car. does that mean my car use a cali-spec y-pipe???
Old 04-25-2003, 04:23 AM

look right in from of the Spark plug cover.. the plastic piece that says Nissan and if you have 4 plugs in front of it its cali if it only has 2 there its fed

or the actuall way to tell is located in the FAQ

Is my car Cali or Fed spec?

Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The 12th character is the destination:

N = Canada
V = California
U = US, not California

Credit: Daniel B. Martin

another way is look at the pictures on budgets website and then get under your car and look to see what your pipe looks like.. the magor difference is the front pipe is cut shrorter than the one for the fed spec

hope that helps
Old 04-25-2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Geophrum
look right in from of the Spark plug cover.. the plastic piece that says Nissan and if you have 4 plugs in front of it its cali if it only has 2 there its fed

or the actuall way to tell is located in the FAQ

Is my car Cali or Fed spec?

Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The 12th character is the destination:

N = Canada
V = California
U = US, not California

Credit: Daniel B. Martin

another way is look at the pictures on budgets website and then get under your car and look to see what your pipe looks like.. the magor difference is the front pipe is cut shrorter than the one for the fed spec

hope that helps

there are only 2 plugs in front of the plactic cover. but my VIN says its a california car. i still don't know which y-pipe i use???
Old 04-25-2003, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by masterB

there are only 2 plugs in front of the plactic cover. but my VIN says its a california car. i still don't know which y-pipe i use???
in 96 I dont believe it made a difference, in 99s the fed spec and cali spec was a pretty big difference
Old 04-25-2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by carnal_c30

in 96 I dont believe it made a difference, in 99s the fed spec and cali spec was a pretty big difference
can you tell me do i use cali-spec or fed-spec??
Old 04-25-2003, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by masterB

can you tell me do i use cali-spec or fed-spec??
Fed Spec