4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Yellow H3 bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 04:18 PM

Yellow H3 bulbs

Anyone know where to get good quality yellow H3 fog light bulbs? I am sick of having fog lights that do absolutly no good. No high wattage bulbs either, 55w only. There are plenty of white H3's, but using those bulbs kinda defeats the purpose of "fog" lights. I have heard of Narva, but I can only find 85w, same with PIAA- only 85w yellow ion.

Someone please help. I may convert headlights to HID's, the contrasting colors would not only look good, but be more functional.

(_8*(l)
Old 04-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Yellow H3 bulbs

Philips Allweather H3 bulbs
http://www.autolamps-online.com/index.htm

-twice as "halogen"-looking (ie. yellowish) as stock
-relatively inexpensive
-appears to be as durable as stock H3's (unlike a lot of aftermarket bulbs that blow every few months and cost a small fortune)
Old 04-27-2003, 06:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by (_8*(l)Homer
[B]Anyone know where to get good quality yellow H3 fog light bulbs? I am sick of having fog lights that do absolutly no good. No high wattage bulbs either, 55w only. There are plenty of white H3's, but using those bulbs kinda defeats the purpose of "fog" lights. I have heard of Narva, but I can only find 85w, same with PIAA- only 85w yellow ion.

Someone please help. I may convert headlights to HID's, the contrasting colors would not only look good, but be more functional.

i'm getting the PIAA crystal ion's this week, they are only 55w... i'm going for the IS 300 look, i'll let you know how they turn out.

-Moe
Old 04-28-2003, 04:45 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Oh man...what a problem this is.

PIAA Ion Crystals = HUGE WASTE OF MONEY. They suck. They're ricey, they change colors, they're not that yellow looking...don't get them. Price is a major ripoff.

OLD SCHOOL Hella Yellowstars = The original, the best, the yellowest....not available anymore. DON'T get the $hitty Korean ones they sell now...they are not yellow at all. If you want some I'll sell you the 6 pairs I have.

Narvas = Higher wattage = Cracked Fog lenses = Also the yellowest bulbs I have been able to find. Someone in another thread told me that the customer service reps from suvlights.com said that these were yellower than the other yellow h3 bulbs from that site. They are the best I have found so far. They're not perfect, but I also have to re-aim my fogs before I judge.

Someone out there needs to make a really crazy yellow bulb in 55w.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by endus
Oh man...what a problem this is.

PIAA Ion Crystals = HUGE WASTE OF MONEY. They suck. They're ricey, they change colors, they're not that yellow looking...don't get them. Price is a major ripoff.

OLD SCHOOL Hella Yellowstars = The original, the best, the yellowest....not available anymore. DON'T get the $hitty Korean ones they sell now...they are not yellow at all. If you want some I'll sell you the 6 pairs I have.

Narvas = Higher wattage = Cracked Fog lenses = Also the yellowest bulbs I have been able to find. Someone in another thread told me that the customer service reps from suvlights.com said that these were yellower than the other yellow h3 bulbs from that site. They are the best I have found so far. They're not perfect, but I also have to re-aim my fogs before I judge.

Someone out there needs to make a really crazy yellow bulb in 55w.

My fog lenses are already cracked from when it was -40 deg f here over the winter. Do the Narva's burn the wiring? I don't wanna have to replace the wiring. Isn't there some clear stuff from 3M I can use so water doesn't get in?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:19 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally posted by (_8*(l)Homer

My fog lenses are already cracked from when it was -40 deg f here over the winter. Do the Narva's burn the wiring? I don't wanna have to replace the wiring. Isn't there some clear stuff from 3M I can use so water doesn't get in?
I haven't had any problems with water getting into the housing...mine have cracked from being too hot and probably hitting a puddle.

The Narvas shouldn't burn the wiring...if they do then there's a MAJOR problem!
Old 04-28-2003, 01:11 PM

I haven't had any problems with water getting into the housing...mine have cracked from being too hot and probably hitting a puddle.

The Narvas shouldn't burn the wiring...if they do then there's a MAJOR problem!
suvlight.com has this yellow H3 bulb called candlepower.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by BigJuice

suvlight.com has this yellow H3 bulb called candlepower.
I saw those on the site, however, I can't find any information on them anywhere. I am afraid they are crappy and will burn out after 2 hours like many many other cheap bulbs. I can't find any company called Candlepower that makes H3 bulbs in any business directory. Maybe I will just go with the Narva's. I can't find a color temp on any of the few yellow H3's made.

If I call Narva or Philips directly, do you think they could tell me the temps?

(_8*(l)
Old 04-28-2003, 08:51 PM

I saw those on the site, however, I can't find any information on them anywhere. I am afraid they are crappy and will burn out after 2 hours like many many other cheap bulbs. I can't find any company called Candlepower that makes H3 bulbs in any business directory. Maybe I will just go with the Narva's. I can't find a color temp on any of the few yellow H3's made.

If I call Narva or Philips directly, do you think they could tell me the temps?

(_8*(l)
Yeah they should. If you read the notes page on suvlights.com though it will tell you that CandlePower is made by Phillips in Germany.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone know where to get good quality yellow H3 fog light bulbs? I am sick of having fog lights that do absolutly no good. No high wattage bulbs either, 55w only. There are plenty of white H3's, but using those bulbs kinda defeats the purpose of "fog" lights. I have heard of Narva, but I can only find 85w, same with PIAA- only 85w yellow ion.

(_8*(l)
Hello, I m a newbie
but here what I have found for you they have them listed but you will need to contact them for more detail,
check for charts of bulb on the web page they have them listed
http://www.abtivan.com/concepts/ligh...kmaxxenon.html

http://www.accessconnect.com/blueand.htm

let me know what you have found for h3, Questiion are you please with the xtreme Piaa for the headlamp ?
Old 04-30-2003, 06:33 PM

I'm running the PIAAs, and they are yellow at certain angles, white from others, and occasionally bluish-green. Not really worth the money, but so far the only 55watt yellow that i can find. And you can't get the Lexus fog colour without having some kind of yellow tinted sleeve within the fog housing itself... if you're brave, and want something permanent, you can try disassembling the fog housing and painting the inner reflector with those yellow tinted spray paint that they sell for lightbulbs at raceshops. I do not know, however, if it will fade from the heat and UV light, or if they will burn off.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:46 PM

The PIAA Xtreme white are a prety good bulb. Too expencive now though with the compeeting Silverstar from Osram/Sylvania. Silverstars are actually whiter than the PIAA's. I need to change my sig, however I am converting my housings to focus the beam with the lens(95-96) rather than the reflector inside the housings of the 97+. I have already re-wired my heads to 9007 with 55w low beam rather than 45. Then drilled the notches that make it so only a 9004 would fit. Beam pattern is strange because it was meant for 9004 not 9007 bulbs. Maybe lens focuse will have a better light spread.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:48 PM
JsL

How do you convert 9004 housings and wiring to 9007?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:56 PM

http://www.20v.org/light.htm

(_8*(l)
Old 04-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the referal for sylvania
I am planning my purchase for the Maxima this summer and started to check the updates available this web site is a gold mine for me because even if I am not Fas&Fur driver, I want to customize my next Maxima a little. Money is money so with my Canadian dollar valued at 0.55$ US I want to make the right choices.

hope the info supplied (web pages) were helpfull because I too want the fog to be yellow.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:14 AM

Bah, i posted yellow fogs twice, or maybe three times... no one gave me any of thos links.... =/
Old 05-01-2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by markargente
Bah, i posted yellow fogs twice, or maybe three times... no one gave me any of thos links.... =/

It's all in the wording my friend. I dunno, I guess sometimes it is either hit or miss with posts. I posted something like this once before and got no replies. Same post again and got tons of replies. Strange how it works.

I think I am going to go with the Narva's. My fog light glass is already cracked, so I don't think any more damage will occur using 85w bulbs. I tried calling Philips for color temps on the Candlepower H3 yellow bulbs, but no luck. I haven't tried Narva phone yet. I'll post when I get the info.

My final decision will be made based on price, speed in shipping and color temp of bulbs. The yellower, the better.

(_8*(l)
Old 05-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi again

I hope this one will fit your needs and my futur needs to
it s a good brand name in europe HELLA
they list h3 yellow star 55w part #78135y
http://www.hellausa.com/maineng/lev1...g02/Bulbs1.pdf
no picture sorry

Dont forget to let me know how thing work out for these
Thanks
Old 05-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

here s more
http://www.candlepowerinc.com/nbinte....pricelist.pdf

and another brand name THIS ONE LOOK TO BE THE BEST****
.CATZ
HYPERBULB
H1 and H3 halogen bulbs utilized exclusively by CATZ. This bulb uses a high pressure charge of Xenon gas, which has excellent thermal efficiency. Standard halogen bulbs use a lower pressure charge of Bromine gas, which is not as thermally efficient. Use of Xenon gas increases the bulb's luminous flux by more than 20% thereby giving light which has a distinct brilliant white quality, and is far brighter than light produced by Bromine bulbs of the same wattage. The Hyperbulb also utilizes an extra thick filament for long life. Since the wattage and heat do not increase, the Hyperbulb will last 30% longer than conventional halogen bulbs with equal brightness. Available in 55 and 85 watt configurations and with or without a Gold Iridium coating. The Hyperbulb is utilized in the MSX, MSP, MSR, SR, and MSC lamps.
http://www.fet-usa.com/catz_glosary.html#gold
Old 05-02-2003, 08:31 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally posted by Sleeper ZZ
Hi again

I hope this one will fit your needs and my futur needs to
it s a good brand name in europe HELLA
they list h3 yellow star 55w part #78135y
http://www.hellausa.com/maineng/lev1...g02/Bulbs1.pdf
no picture sorry

Dont forget to let me know how thing work out for these
Thanks
The Hella Yellowstars are...

a.) Hard to find

b.) ****ING GARBAGE!!!!

they changed them from being manufactured in Germany to being manufactured in Korea. The bulbs are no longer yellow and I burned one out in ___ONE WEEK___. They are crap.

I agree about varying responses to threads. Some threads need a bump or two to get responses, and sometimes you just have to wait and try again.

Now that search is back though...

You'll be happy with the Narvas...could they be yellower? Yes...but they're the most yellow H3 bulbs around now...
Old 05-02-2003, 12:17 PM

The Hella Yellowstars are...

a.) Hard to find

b.) ****ING GARBAGE!!!!

they changed them from being manufactured in Germany to being manufactured in Korea. The bulbs are no longer yellow and I burned one out in ___ONE WEEK___. They are crap.

I agree about varying responses to threads. Some threads need a bump or two to get responses, and sometimes you just have to wait and try again.

Now that search is back though...

You'll be happy with the Narvas...could they be yellower? Yes...but they're the most yellow H3 bulbs around now...
Don't want to burn or crack anything though
Old 05-02-2003, 08:45 PM

Anyone know where to get Narva's from somewhere other than www.suvlights.com they are $36 a pair + $8 for shipping. Too expencive for me. So, does anyone know of a less expencive site?

My lenses are already cracked like an offset X. Water got on hot fogs on cold -40deg night. I heard them crack from inside the car. Do you think these will crack more with Narva's? They are 85w. Anyone seen that clear heat resistant film from 3M? I wanna know how to get it, but I don't know what it is called.

(_8*(l)
Old 05-03-2003, 06:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone tried the CATZ brand h3 yellow bulb ??
they have an easy store locator on the site
Old 05-06-2003, 05:47 PM

Bought the candlepowers from suvlights, ill let you know how they turn out
Old 05-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by markargente
Bought the candlepowers from suvlights, ill let you know how they turn out
please keep us posted, i was thinking about giving these a try, but will hold off now. Post pictures too
Old 05-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bump, so whats a good yellow h3 bulb.. i got piaa super plasmas.. and i'm sick of them.. was thinking about ion crystals. but after reading this thread i don't know..
Old 05-07-2003, 12:48 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Like I've said...the Narvas are good. If you want 85W jsut get them...they're fine.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:14 PM

Anyone know where to get Narva's from somewhere other than www.suvlights.com they are $36 a pair + $8 for shipping. Too expencive for me. So, does anyone know of a less expencive site?

My lenses are already cracked like an offset X. Water got on hot fogs on cold -40deg night. I heard them crack from inside the car. Do you think these will crack more with Narva's? They are 85w. Anyone seen that clear heat resistant film from 3M? I wanna know how to get it, but I don't know what it is called.

(_8*(l)
has anybody used or heard of any other H3s on that suvlights site? There are others that are brighter for less money..wonder if they are trustworthy....
Old 05-11-2003, 07:09 PM

Here ya go, i bought the candlepowers. They're definitely better than regular halogens i would say, but maybe not that great. I saw on another thread h3 condoms, but not too sure. I paid 38$ dollars total. Wasting money is fun sometimes.... err nah. Decent. Here are the pics, which aren't like super great. They look a little different in person because of the glare. At first, i put my flash on, and it made all my lights yellow,. Im sorta happy. Not sure if id recommend, i guess I'd recommend the narvas more if someone would be sure that they wouldn't crack

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...42&uid=1109723

-Mark
Old 05-12-2003, 12:28 AM

Well, they look bright but not as yellow as I would want them. There has got to be a Lexus looking yellow H3 in normal wattage somewhere
Old 05-12-2003, 12:40 AM

crapp..i jsut got some HELLA yellow stars in. crap.. haha..ill put them on til they blow..and look for yellow condoms. or the narvas.. umm about the wattage.i live in so cali.. never gets under +40 degrees here.. if i use 85 wat fogs on stock harness will any get messed up, crack, burn melt ect?.. thanks..
Old 05-12-2003, 01:11 AM

anyone have a diargram of the 95-96 fogs.. how hard are they to take apart? they they come apart like the headlight under heat. i wanna try painting the inside reflector with transparent yellow paint.