4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My impressions of the new Megan Racing Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 08:53 PM
SLOW

My impressions of the new Megan Racing Exhaust

First off, my induction and exhaust setup is this:

JWT POP Charger
Place Racing midpipe
MEVI
Cattman SS Y pipe
Warpspeed test pipe
and of course the Megan Racing exhaust.

I'd give the exhaust a 3.5 out of 10. My reasons are these:

1) it doesnt fit. my exhaust was 6" too short. I had to get my test pipe cut in half and an extra 6" section welded in to make it fit.

2) the flange where it is supposed to bolt to the cat or test pipe was very crooked (at least on mine) we had to weld my test pipe at an angle to make it work, probably 15 degrees off.

3) it's pretty loud and a bit ricey. the sound is decent when you are on the gas, but when you let off it makes that "bzzzzzzzzzzz" noise you hear from the ricer kids you see that just welded a fart pipe onto their stock exhaust system on their cavalier or something like that. on the highway though it's pretty quiet and it doesn't drone which is a good thing, but at lower speeds and around town it's very evident that the exhaust is there, a bit too loud for me. idle tone is VERY deep and throaty, i really like how it sounds at idle. this is all without the silencer, i haven't driven around with the silencer in yet, just revved it at idle with the silencer in. the silencer makes it more quiet but makes the noise higher pitched and sound ricier which i dont like.

4) it's only 2.25" piping when i was told it was 2.5" piping.

5) the B-pipe is 2 parts rather than the stock 1 piece b -pipe, and they put the flange right next to one of the pivot points for the rear axle, why they couldn't have moved the flange forward or backwards 2" is beyond me.

6) looks. it looks like a rice exhaust. i usually like canister style exhaust but it just doesn't look "right" on the max in my opinion. and the tip is big. not the biggest i've ever seen but damn close.

now on to the few good points:

1) its cheap. I got mine for $305 shipped and it got here in 4 days coming from cali to michigan.

2) the workmanship is top notch. welds are VERY clean and its polished to a mirror shine (the entire exhaust) and not a scratch on it. the hangars are all in good position too, too bad it doesn't bolt onto the rest of the car correctly as i described above.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: My impressions of the new Megan Racing Exhaust

Originally posted by Nealoc187
First off, my induction and exhaust setup is this:

JWT POP Charger
Place Racing midpipe
MEVI
Cattman SS Y pipe
Warpspeed test pipe
and of course the Megan Racing exhaust.

I'd give the exhaust a 3.5 out of 10. My reasons are these:

1) it doesnt fit. my exhaust was 6" too short. I had to get my test pipe cut in half and an extra 6" section welded in to make it fit.

2) the flange where it is supposed to bolt to the cat or test pipe was very crooked (at least on mine) we had to weld my test pipe at an angle to make it work, probably 15 degrees off.

3) it's pretty loud and a bit ricey. the sound is decent when you are on the gas, but when you let off it makes that "bzzzzzzzzzzz" noise you hear from the ricer kids you see that just welded a fart pipe onto their stock exhaust system on their cavalier or something like that. on the highway though it's pretty quiet and it doesn't drone which is a good thing, but at lower speeds and around town it's very evident that the exhaust is there, a bit too loud for me. idle tone is VERY deep and throaty, i really like how it sounds at idle. this is all without the silencer, i haven't driven around with the silencer in yet, just revved it at idle with the silencer in. the silencer makes it more quiet but makes the noise higher pitched and sound ricier which i dont like.

4) it's only 2.25" piping when i was told it was 2.5" piping.

5) the B-pipe is 2 parts rather than the stock 1 piece b -pipe, and they put the flange right next to one of the pivot points for the rear axle, why they couldn't have moved the flange forward or backwards 2" is beyond me.

6) looks. it looks like a rice exhaust. i usually like canister style exhaust but it just doesn't look "right" on the max in my opinion. and the tip is big. not the biggest i've ever seen but damn close.

now on to the few good points:

1) its cheap. I got mine for $305 shipped and it got here in 4 days coming from cali to michigan.

2) the workmanship is top notch. welds are VERY clean and its polished to a mirror shine (the entire exhaust) and not a scratch on it. the hangars are all in good position too, too bad it doesn't bolt onto the rest of the car correctly as i described above.
The reason it's 6" short is because it appartently was designed to fit the 97+ Maximas. My old Courtesy B-pipe was the same way. They provided me with the OEM 6" coupler (goes between the cat and B-pipe, houses the O2 sensor). After I saw how nasty the bends were in the coupler, I sent it back immediately and had an exhaust shop fab a straight peice.

If you want to get rid of the ricey buzz, get a larger resonator on there and use the silencer making sure it seals tight. If it doesn't, take some header wrap and put it in between the muffler tip and silencer edge to get a better seal.

Dave
Old 05-05-2003, 10:06 PM

thanks for the write up.
i think you just made my decision to get the OBX catback
Old 05-06-2003, 12:11 AM

ouch...and with a price
Old 05-06-2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
thanks for the write up.
not shure if I remember this correctly but I think that its because of OBX is the reason he bought the megan in the first place?
Old 05-06-2003, 01:18 AM

How about getting a resonator that will fit in place of the test pipe. Just weld the flanges on either end.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: My impressions of the new Megan Racing Exhaust

Originally posted by Dave B

The reason it's 6" short is because it appartently was designed to fit the 97+ Maximas.
Isn't the 97+ bumper about 2-3+ inches longer? That's why if you bolt on an Apexi catback, which is only made for 95-96, it ends up short ahead of the rear bumper.

Or does the 97 exhaust system have an extra few inches of piping?
Old 05-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
thanks for the write up.
Just know it will take a while to get it (3-4 weeks) and it has minor fitment issues (hangs down low in front of passenger side wheel). Meccanoble has pictures on his homepage I believe. I paid $290.00 shipped for my OBX thru a group deal here on the ORG, for that price I'm not complaining I'm just informing you. I would'nt pay more than $350 shipped though. Just my $00.02 worth.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:09 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Being that unhappy with the sound I am surprised your going to keep it. Or are you?? Although I know your not one to worry about looks and all.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:13 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Re: My impressions of the new Megan Racing Exhaust

Originally posted by TurDz

Isn't the 97+ bumper about 2-3+ inches longer? That's why if you bolt on an Apexi catback, which is only made for 95-96, it ends up short ahead of the rear bumper.

Or does the 97 exhaust system have an extra few inches of piping?
Nope, the 97+ has a 6" pipe that sits in between the cat and b-pipe. This cast iron pipe houses the rear o2 sensor and is extremely restrictive (2.5" inlet, 1.5" outlet).

Dave
Old 05-06-2003, 10:03 AM
SLOW

Re: My impressions of the new Megan Racing Exhaust

UPDATE.

In response to points 1 and 2 that I made, I think I figured out what's going on. It appears as Dave said to have been made specifically for the 97-99.

Take a look at this pic. http://www.greghome.com/images/Maxim...pExtension.jpg

The tilt of the flange and length appear to directly coincide with this extra S pipe that the 97-99s have. So if you have a 97-99 it appears this exhaust will fit like a charm. If you've got a 95-96 you are going to have to extend your test pipe or get a little pipe welded in between your cat and the Megan B-pipe. Today I am going to be installing the silencer and driving around with it in to see how it changes the sound.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Beast Mode!!!

hey man what happened to the OBX?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Blu
the tits

I heard BJJ's last night. It definatly has the buzzzzz tone when you let off the throttle. It doesn't sounmd that bad when your on the throttle though. I would suggest trying to sell the rear section and buy a different axel back muffler.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Midknight MAXX

Just know it will take a while to get it (3-4 weeks) and it has minor fitment issues (hangs down low in front of passenger side wheel). Meccanoble has pictures on his homepage I believe. I paid $290.00 shipped for my OBX thru a group deal here on the ORG, for that price I'm not complaining I'm just informing you. I would'nt pay more than $350 shipped though. Just my $00.02 worth.
Very MINOR fitment issues. The pipe everyone complains about hanging low actually has NEVER scraped on my lowered car. I used to scrap the stock resonator before I put the OBX on and that would scrap ALL the time! Since I bolted on the OBX I have never scraped, even going over the same speed bumps as before.

The OBX is top notch for the price and only really needs to have the rear rubber hangers adjusted for a perfect fit in the rear bumper cut out.

Sound is very deep and never sounds raspy or ricey. And yes, I am biased, but I have taken other members for rides and they were very impressed with the sound.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:33 AM

So i take it that your not very happy with the catback then. Maybe you should have gone with the OBX or Apexi WS after all. I respect you for trying new things though...
Old 05-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Well one good thing about the megan setup is ,the muffler is probably 10lbs lighter . the stock one weighs 19lbs. Neal did you happen to weigh the muffler?
Old 05-06-2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Midknight MAXX

i think the fitment issues are BS. i had zero problems. the bend in the b pipe doesnt hang any lower than my RSB i think.

for 97-99 i am convinced that the OBX catback is the best. not just for the money. the best PERIOD. From what I have heard: Apexi is too short, Greddy is not all stainless steel, Megan it too loud/ricey.....

And I am with Victim64. You might think I am biased but... People have told me that they love the way my car sounds without me even saying anything and I have only had my exhaust on since Sunday!
Old 05-06-2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by luckee2bhere
for 97-99 i am convinced that the OBX catback is the best. not just for the money. the best PERIOD. From what I have heard: Apexi is too short, Greddy is not all stainless steel, Megan it too loud/ricey.....
What do you mean by the Apexi is too short? Do you mean only for 97-99's but not for 95-96's? Since its only meant to fit 95/96's...
Old 05-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Sports Button FTW

the OBX i paid 270 shipped for. And it didnt have as many problems only problem was fitment and is quiet but its hard to find obx now for under 300 so 305 shipped is actually cheap.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Smithdogg1

What do you mean by the Apexi is too short? Do you mean only for 97-99's but not for 95-96's? Since its only meant to fit 95/96's...
yeah thats what ive heard
Old 05-06-2003, 03:52 PM

The only thing that some people have a problem with is that the OBX is 2.25" piping rather than 2.5" like the Greddy. IMO it seems like the best catbacks for the maxima are the Apexi WS, Greddy SP, and the OBX. I mean Pacesetter is just plain cheap quality, Stillen is very loud and expensive (although its 2.5" piping), Cattman is very expensive and loud, And the Megan does not sound all that great at this point. The Apexi and Greddy are more "tried and true" than most of the catbacks however...
Old 05-06-2003, 04:36 PM

The only thing that some people have a problem with is that the OBX is 2.25" piping rather than 2.5" like the Greddy.
see with NA that dont matter. and thats most of the people on here.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by luckee2bhere

see with NA that dont matter. and thats most of the people on here.
Good point, but some feel that if they have a 2.5" diameter Y-pipe and a 2.5" diameter cat converter that getting a 2.25" diameter catback will be a "bottleneck" in the exhuast system and hurt flow, which may hurt performance.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:17 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by krismax
Well one good thing about the megan setup is ,the muffler is probably 10lbs lighter . the stock one weighs 19lbs. Neal did you happen to weigh the muffler?
No I had planned on weighing the stock vs aftermarket, the entire thing, but once I realized that the thing wasn't going to fit I was mad and all my plans kindof went out the window. Maybe I'll weigh it this weekend or something its not hard to take off.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:47 PM

The only thing that some people have a problem with is that the OBX is 2.25" piping rather than 2.5" like the Greddy. IMO it seems like the best catbacks for the maxima are the Apexi WS, Greddy SP, and the OBX. I mean Pacesetter is just plain cheap quality, Stillen is very loud and expensive (although its 2.5" piping), Cattman is very expensive and loud, And the Megan does not sound all that great at this point. The Apexi and Greddy are more "tried and true" than most of the catbacks however...
IMHO, the best catback is a custom one. Choose exactly what you want, how loud/quiet you want it.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Father of the 00 VI

No I had planned on weighing the stock vs aftermarket, the entire thing, but once I realized that the thing wasn't going to fit I was mad and all my plans kindof went out the window. Maybe I'll weigh it this weekend or something its not hard to take off.
Yeah ,right now im trying to rig the greddy muffler on to the cattman b- pipe.
The greddy muffler is very good quality most of it is 304 SSm, its a straight thru design,the stock is not . I wish i could dyno the two setups,i had cattman b-pipe with stock muffler. Then i bolted the greddy muffler on the cattman b-pipe ,i can say for a fact that the stock muffler is extremly restrictive i swapped them back and forth a few times and the power difference is ALOT and the engine revs faster thru the entire rev range.
But its weird how the greddy is almost half the size as stock but only weighs 3 lbs less. IN my opinion the greddy muffler is the best sounding and offers the most power gain.There special cubes or somthing like that ,that allows it to be straight thru and nice sounding,its never loud ,unless WOT and it never has a bad sound.65 mph its very silent.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:57 AM

the greddy and apexi's aren't 2.5inch. most all japanese exhausts run 60mm piping which equals to about 2.3.. inches.

let us know how the exhaust sounds in about a month or so. usually the exhaust will get a little louder over time. that's for most any aftermarket exhaust.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:04 AM

Hmm i have heard that the Greddy SP was 2.5" diameter, but on their website it does say 60mm piping. I thought that the Apexi was 2.25" diameter, on aventon.com its say 54-60.5mm piping. So maybe the B-pipe is 60mm but the muffler is 54mm or something like that. Well i guess there are only two 2.5" cattbacks out for the maxima then, The Stillen and the Cattman...
Old 05-07-2003, 07:15 AM
Langley AFB Sux

The Apexi WS is for 95-96. Mine went on perfect. No hitches. Fits perfect. Sounds kick A$$ too. $400 shipped.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:24 AM
BJJ

Originally posted by krismax
Yeah ,right now im trying to rig the greddy muffler on to the cattman b- pipe.
The greddy muffler is very good quality most of it is 304 SSm, its a straight thru design,the stock is not . I wish i could dyno the two setups,i had cattman b-pipe with stock muffler. Then i bolted the greddy muffler on the cattman b-pipe ,i can say for a fact that the stock muffler is extremly restrictive i swapped them back and forth a few times and the power difference is ALOT and the engine revs faster thru the entire rev range.
But its weird how the greddy is almost half the size as stock but only weighs 3 lbs less. IN my opinion the greddy muffler is the best sounding and offers the most power gain.There special cubes or somthing like that ,that allows it to be straight thru and nice sounding,its never loud ,unless WOT and it never has a bad sound.65 mph its very silent.
Where did you get the Greddy rear section from? I am not to pleased with the looks of this muffler so I am thinking of selling the rear section and getting another.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by BJJ

Where did you get the Greddy rear section from? I am not to pleased with the looks of this muffler so I am thinking of selling the rear section and getting another.
You cant buy the Greddy rear section. I think that his B-pipe on the Greddy rusted off, but he kept the rear section and is trying to match it up to another B-pipe.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by bgod
the greddy and apexi's aren't 2.5inch. most all japanese exhausts run 60mm piping which equals to about 2.3.. inches.

let us know how the exhaust sounds in about a month or so. usually the exhaust will get a little louder over time. that's for most any aftermarket exhaust.
I have have a device at my workplace its very percise at measurments and the greddy piping is 2.4.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by BJJ

i bought the whole exaust almost 4 years ago,the b-pipe rotted off . And the muffler sounds so sweet and gives such a big power gain about 10 hp over stock IMO. I decided to rigg it up to the cattman b-pipe , im probably the first person to do this. It sounds kind of like a stock corvette
Old 05-07-2003, 05:53 PM

sorry to hear that u dont like it much - are you going to keep it, or you gonna slap on a resonator or something ?