4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does anyone have an aftermarket ECU without an MEVI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 05:01 PM

Does anyone have an aftermarket ECU without an MEVI?

Its seems that everyone on this forum who has an aftermarket ECU like the JWT also has a MEVI. So they can take better advantage of it with the increased redline from the upgraded ECU. But does anyone have just a peformance ECU? Are the gains from it alone still good? Worth the $550?
Old 05-06-2003, 05:35 PM

Ummmm, I have an ECU without a mevi and yeah I like it. But i'd definately get it last in the mod list. Y-pipe first and everything since that can give you more of a gain and only costs 167 bucks..
Old 05-06-2003, 05:41 PM

dont mean to thread *****, but umm...when someone has their ecu modified and the rev limiter is set higher, like 7200rpms or something, how does this not hurt the engine? The limit is 6550 for a reason i thought. what allows the engine to go up to 7200rpms or so and not overheat or damage.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bb0ys
dont mean to thread *****, but umm...when someone has their ecu modified and the rev limiter is set higher, like 7200rpms or something, how does this not hurt the engine? The limit is 6550 for a reason i thought. what allows the engine to go up to 7200rpms or so and not overheat or damage.
Heat has nothing to do with it. 6550 is a nearly no fail rev limit that has no chance of causeing damage due to such things as valve float. It is highly recomended that you upgrade to heavy duty or double valve springs if you are exploiting a 7200 rpm rev limiter.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:46 PM

so how high can engine rev with stock internals and it still be ok?
Old 05-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

JWT reccomends no higher than 7K
Old 05-07-2003, 05:56 AM

Re: Does anyone have an aftermarket ECU without an MEVI?

Originally posted by Smithdogg1
Its seems that everyone on this forum who has an aftermarket ECU like the JWT also has a MEVI. So they can take better advantage of it with the increased redline from the upgraded ECU. But does anyone have just a peformance ECU? Are the gains from it alone still good? Worth the $550?
talk to VQdriver. he ran 14.05 the other day with just an ECU, y pipe, intake, full exhaust, 15" steelies.(I'm pretty sure thats it!)
Im pretty sure he has a GForce ECU too which arent as good as the JWT from what Ive heard. But then again I am convinced that he is the best driver on the org so it could just be the driver.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:38 AM

Re: Does anyone have an aftermarket ECU without an MEVI?

Originally posted by Smithdogg1
i am running a Gforce ECU from a 95-96 SE. i actually bought it used from brian (bejay). it's only worth it if you go to the drag stip to test your car. you can feel the response improve marginally, but it's only on the timeslip where you'll see the improvement. it makes your times consistently lower. i would say the ECU put me into the 14.1-14.2 range with anything higher than 14.3 unusual for me. i run arnaud's 95 alum sawblade wheels with dunlop A2 tires. budget ypipe, warpspeed test pipe, courtesy bpipe, borla muffler/tip. unorthodox pulley, jwt pop charger with jamsan's homemade intake tubing lol. shortshifter from pacesetter, Gforce ECU top it all off, suspension mods included agx shocks, oldschool eibach springs, addco RSB, cattman FSTB. expect a gain good enough for 1 tenth on the track if you go with an ECU such as mine. luckee, you flatter me. thanks for the comment. it's no different than launching the car at 5mph lol. practice!
Old 05-07-2003, 08:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had the JWT ECU for a week before installing the MEVI. from 2k-5k rpms...the car is a beast. the torque was unbelievable, the car would bark gears and traction was a problem. with the ECU and no MEVI the car is a stop light animal, but of course you run out of steam at about 80mph. once you get the ECU and MEVI, your top end (highway, or from a roll) is superior and still have the midrange of stock ECU and USIM.

--Paul
Old 05-07-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Requin6
i had the JWT ECU for a week before installing the MEVI. from 2k-5k rpms...the car is a beast. the torque was unbelievable, the car would bark gears and traction was a problem. with the ECU and no MEVI the car is a stop light animal, but of course you run out of steam at about 80mph. once you get the ECU and MEVI, your top end (highway, or from a roll) is superior and still have the midrange of stock ECU and USIM.

--Paul
So in other words, if you have a MEVI, get the JWT-ECU cause its a big difference and helps daily driving and racing >?

-matt
Old 05-07-2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by matty

So in other words, if you have a MEVI, get the JWT-ECU cause its a big difference and helps daily driving and racing >?

-matt
yes, i would have NOT bought the MEVI if i didnt have the ECU to go with it. the ECU restores the midrange loss associated with the MEVI to the levels near the USIM and stock ECU. the extended rev limiter is also a huge plus.

--Paul
Old 05-07-2003, 10:13 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by matty

-matt
The JWT ECU and MEVI is a lethal combo. The two mods together are worth more than the sum of their parts. With just the MEVI (and intake y pipe) I was good for 14.4s on street tires. Now this is conjecture but with the ECU and my intake and Y pipe I bet I would have been able to run 14.3s on street tires. With the two of them together I'm in 14.0s and 14.1s consistently on street tires and my trap speeds are sick (look at the sig).

Now that I've had both mods, I wish I had the JWT ECU first. I feel the JWT alone gives better gains than the MEVI alone. It feels like I added a Y-pipe again. But the two are just begging to be put together on the same car.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
The JWT ECU and MEVI is a lethal combo. The two mods together are worth more than the sum of their parts. With just the MEVI (and intake y pipe) I was good for 14.4s on street tires. Now this is conjecture but with the ECU and my intake and Y pipe I bet I would have been able to run 14.3s on street tires. With the two of them together I'm in 14.0s and 14.1s consistently on street tires and my trap speeds are sick (look at the sig).

Now that I've had both mods, I wish I had the JWT ECU first. I feel the JWT alone gives better gains than the MEVI alone. It feels like I added a Y-pipe again. But the two are just begging to be put together on the same car.
wow...you can REALLY make a believer out of someone with your words. how long does it take to get a JWT ecu anyway? i heard it takes a while.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:51 AM

Well as long as you order an ECU and send it out to Avalon or JWT or Cattman it should take 5-6 weeks and plus youll have no down time on your car...then when you go to sell your car you can put your stock unit right back into the car your selling and come on here and sell the JWT modified ECU for what you paid + some cause that person wont have to wait any time or buy a core

-matt
Old 12-16-2003, 03:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I Have the G Force ecu without the MEVI. My midrange is nice. I dyno'd a week ago and got 183 hp and 197 torque. I gained only 4 hp at 5400 rpms but I gained 4 to 11 hp and 5 to 12 ft lbs of torque from 3200 to 5400 rpms. Traction is an issue more than ever but I love it.

RODMAN
Old 12-16-2003, 03:52 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

what web site can i go to buy a JWT ECU and an MEVI?

please pm me, thanks.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:00 PM

I'm unfamiliar with the JWT ecu, what does it involve and is it reporgramable on the fly for better performance/ gas mileage or is that only obtain in piggy back ecus?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:33 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Why did you revive a 2 year old thread to ask that question? Why not go to JWTs site and find out?

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php
Just use this to answer any future questions.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:17 PM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by Vlasic
Why did you revive a 2 year old thread to ask that question? Why not go to JWTs site and find out?

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php
Just use this to answer any future questions.

Because he just joined. The post right above his, is you asking where you could buy a ecu and a mevi.

Old 10-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i have technosquare ecu and usim , its a good setup , hey everyone knows USIM>MEVI ! bring it !

rofl !