4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nissan says I cant resurface flywheel replace only

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 08:05 PM

Nissan says I cant resurface flywheel replace only

I was looking through the all data computer at school and the Nissan manual says to not resurface the flywheel and must be replaced only. Is this true? how many ppl here resurfaced it with no problems? the TIR is a .060 max I think if I remember correctly. is this an excuse for me to get a fidenza?
Old 05-08-2003, 06:45 AM

Re: Nissan says I cant resurface flywheel replace only

Originally posted by Nismo
I was looking through the all data computer at school and the Nissan manual says to not resurface the flywheel and must be replaced only.

I got my flywheel resurfaced when I relpaced my clutch 25,000 miles ago. No probs so far.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Nissan says I cant resurface flywheel replace only

Originally posted by MChapel

I got my flywheel resurfaced when I relpaced my clutch 25,000 miles ago. No probs so far.
Same here.
-hype
Old 05-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Administrator

resurfaced flywheel and added ACT Clutch 5000 miles ago
Old 05-09-2003, 12:57 AM

im not saying you cant and I was shure its ok to resurfaced but I just ran across this in the nissan manual on the computer so I was just wondering why they would say that. anyways Im going with the fidanza.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:55 AM

Same here
Old 05-09-2003, 05:12 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

im not saying you cant and I was shure its ok to resurfaced but I just ran across this in the nissan manual on the computer so I was just wondering why they would say that. anyways Im going with the fidanza.
Most likely 'cause Nissan wants techs to recommend replacing the flywheel when installing a new clutch. More money for them.

I read the same thing too the other night. Got a good laugh.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:50 AM

It could be that the flywheel surface is heat treated for hardness, and the treated portion may be so thin that resurfacing the flywheel will remove it. I bought a used flywheel and had it resurfaced 12000 miles ago when I did the tranny conversion. No problems, other than the typical ACT clutch grabbiness.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm one that had problems with a resurfaced flywheel. I replaced the OEM with an ACT at the local Nissan dealer. They sent it out to be resurfaced. When I got it back, I got a real bad engine vibration at idle and just off-idle. Engine ran fine otherwise. The dealer replaced the ACT with an OEM replacement, but the vibration was still there. They finally replaced the flywheel with a new one with the ACT clutch and the vibration went away. When I read the FSM, it says not to use any magnetic tools with the flywheel. My guess is that the shop that did the resurfacing used magnetic tools to clamp the flywheel for resurfacing and probably messed up some of the teeth on the flywheel that the ECU uses for determining crank position and therefore the ECU was not able to get the timing correct. Worried me all the time that I was driving with the vibration that I was messing the engine up somehow.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:35 AM

It's important to use a dedicated flywheel grinding machine. Do NOT use a lathe. This type of machine is a Blanchard type grinder. It leaves a crown in the center.

The flywheel is clamped into position, then a stone grinding wheel that reaches over halve the wheel is lowered into place, and the flywheel is rotated. The spinning stone is tilted slightly to take a little more material off the ends than the center. This allows the clutch to engage smoothly by grabbing at the center before the ends.

They just rotate the flywheel until all the heat marks are gone and it looks good. When finished, it will tell-tale semi-circle marks across it's friction surface. (it's easy to see they used this method under inspection)

If a straight edge is laid across the flywheel, the taper will be noticable... but it's slight.

Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2003, 06:06 AM

I said that one time and some Jack *** said do I have my head in my a sss just quoting what the dealer had told me when I was not a tranny man.
You can resurface the flywheel I am about to resurface a spare I have in my garage.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:51 AM

resurfaced my stock flywheel with ACT street clutch. I'm having problems similar to hcfmaxima. After 6000miles (0-1k babied, 1-3k easy, 3-5k normal, 5-6k agressive), I'm still getting chatter and vibration getting when starting from a stop. I hafta have rpms above 2000rpm to be smooth. It's very annoying. Maybe I will need a fidanza...

Jae
Old 05-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How much does it cost to get a flywheel resurfaced? and where do I go to get mine resurfaced?

Thanks,

-Nick