4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DISadvantages of RSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 04:37 AM

DISadvantages of RSB

Well its simple. Are there any disadvantages to having RSB ? Will the ride be harsh etc....

thanx
Old 05-08-2003, 05:06 AM
Former Sponsor

more rigid

not very stiff or anything
Old 05-08-2003, 05:18 AM

you want have the enjoyable feeling of your backend wanted to break loose when cornerning...also i guess clearance (scrape it a bit)
Old 05-08-2003, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Jamsan
you want have the enjoyable feeling of your backend wanted to break loose when cornerning...
I take it (from your statement above) that you've never driven a RWD vehicle.

The "enjoyable feeling" you describe is better known as more balanced handling. Why have your front whells doing all the work? And if it feels like the back end is going to break loose when cornering with the RSB, I'll bet you're going through that coner considerably faster than you ever could without the RSB.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:55 AM

I have the RSB from Stillen and it by far the best mod I have done. You really should have a front strut bar also to tighten up the steering, but the sway bar makes it handle like a different car (better). No more loose wobbly body motions.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:14 AM
rmb

If you get the adjustable Stillen just be carefull esp if you slide the bar under or in front of the rear beam. It'll want to swap ends a lot easier in slippery conditions. It's not uncontrollable or anything but you have to be able to catch it quickly. I left mine just behind the rear beam and it seems to be better off there for 90% of my driving...

-RMB
Old 05-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had my Progress RSB on stock suspension for a couple of months now. It's so much more fun to take corners now. When I first got it, I thought it might cause too much oversteer in certain situations. My experience so far has been perfectly neutral handling--not a hint of oversteer or understeer. No, I don't do autocross or anything of that nature, but I do drive pretty aggressively. Some people complain of a harsher ride, but I haven't noticed any difference on the stock suspension.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The ride will be worse over uneven bumps... it's not very good to begin with (thanks beam axle) but it will get noticeably worse. On the highway and normal roads you won't notice a thing. The car will oversteer at the limit also, I highly recommend finding this out on a track before you do on the street... I had heard it but it happened to me first in the rain while turning over a bump in the road. Learned to control it in autocross.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:29 AM

Re: DISadvantages of RSB

Originally posted by crazyravr
Well its simple. Are there any disadvantages to having RSB ? Will the ride be harsh etc....

thanx
None, if RSB installed properly. Just make sure if someone works on your car (like a tire shop), they do not jack up car using RSB instead of axle or frame.

Biggest bang for the buck for handling mod on 4th gen max. $110 from Cattman. Installation takes an hour-for a monkey.

Just Do It!