4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need HID help! Tech advice needed! Long =P

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 12:34 PM

I need HID help! Tech advice needed! Long =P

Well, I have the McCulloch 6000k kit, I bought it last year, has been working fine until about a month ago. I was driving home and realized that my passengers side is not working. I thought it was a loose wire at first, so when I got home, I popped my hood and started to jiggle the wires, nothing. My next thought was the bulb, so I switched the bulbs. I put the passengers side bulb on the drivers side, and vicer versa, the one that came form the passengers side turned on, it was a sigh of relief, so that means both bulbs work. When I put the drivers side bulb in the passengers side, it didnt turn on. I checked the fuses, all were fine. I concluded that there was something wrong with either the ballast or the starter. So I took them out and put them in the box and called the company for warranty. It turned out it would have been the biggest hassle because of the middelman and what not. Anyways, one day I bought myself a pair of 99 headlight housings to upgrade from my 95 glass ones. I thought to myself, I wonder hwo the HIDs would look on them, so I put one in. It looked nice, but for the strangest reason, I had the feeling to try the other one (broken one). So I put it in, and wow, it turned on! I had both lights working again, I was so happy.

Yesterday was my brothers high school prom, I let him drive my car, and he called me up syaing that my passengers side light wasnt turning on. So today in the morning I checked it out. Basically the same thing all over again. I even opened up the ballast this time, it looked really bad, it had a lot of battery acid like substance inside, I opened the other one to compare and it had none. At this ime I was sure that the ballast is messed up.

My friend has a pair of ballast and starter from a porsche lying around, so I had the crazy idea of trying to use the ballast and starter with my bulb to see if it would work. I did my wiring and turned on teh lights and it turned on. But the bulb would flicker every 5 seconds ,and then eventually turned off completely. I turned off the light switch and then tried to turn it on again. This time the ballast was making this clicking sound, and the bulb wouldnt turn on. Does anyone knwo why this is happening? Is it ok to "swap" ballasts and starters? As long as they are wired right, is there a problem?

Sorry for this being so long, but I need help. Thanks in advance.

Devon
Old 05-10-2003, 09:22 PM

looks like you had already found your problem with a faulty ballast. i just installed a hanabi kit two fridays ago, and both ballast blew out in a day. got new updated ones, and they have been fine. i would say to try to get them to replace your ballast before you do more damage to the system by performig other tests...