4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

speedo head replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 12:51 PM

So since i was getting the error codes below even though i change the speed sensor. I took my car to the dealer and got it checkedout. They told me its the speedo head which is bad, the signal from the speed sensor is going to the speedo head correctly but the speedo head is not calabrating correctly and sending bad/no signal to the ECM and TCM. Since i am having problems with my cruise control, and my car is giving me bad gas mileage i make totally sense to me and I am getting it replaced.
Its gonna cost me around $400...worth it i guess.

0104 - Vehicle Speed Sensor
0504 - A/T control unit singal to ECU

other realated threads:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=2
Old 05-13-2003, 04:17 PM

I would double check that price dude.Dealer told me I was going to have to replace speedo head soon but I definitely don't remember him saying it was that expensive. I'll check my guys price tomorrow and get back to you. I thought it was more like 200 bucks. Hope I'm right for both our pockets.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:40 PM

well i checked at 2 differnt dealerships and they both gave me the same estimate. Also i remeber another maxima.org member posting about a dealer quoteing him around $400. The part it self cost about $215 new from the dealer. I also checked the junkyard who were asking $179 for it...anyways the speedo also needs to calibarated.
You should definately get this done cause haveing a bad speedo will make the cruise control not work properly, and also prevents the transmission from shifting correctly, it also cause you to get horrible gas mileage.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by kenju4u
well i checked at 2 differnt dealerships and they both gave me the same estimate. Also i remeber another maxima.org member posting about a dealer quoteing him around $400. The part it self cost about $215 new from the dealer. I also checked the junkyard who were asking $179 for it...anyways the speedo also needs to calibarated.
You should definately get this done cause haveing a bad speedo will make the cruise control not work properly, and also prevents the transmission from shifting correctly, it also cause you to get horrible gas mileage.
Checked today with my dealer and was quoted 300 for part and install. I'm not having any noticeable problems from my speedo head. about 6 months ago chk eng light came on. Dealer ran it and said head was loose. They tightened it up and said that if it became loose again it meant something was stripped and head needed replacement. After a few months chk eng came on again-same code. The only thing I noticed is that once in a while half my gague lights go out. This never lasts more than a few minutes and happens maybe once every couple weeks. I'm trying to avoid spending 300 on this unless I have to.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:06 PM

EXCATLY same thing happen to me last October. And I didn't even replace my Vehicle Speed Sensor. And they were asking too much for me too. They quoted me $450 for parts and labor. So I just bought a gauge cluster off of ebay for $70 and installed it myself. No codes no problem. I just gotta find a place to get my mileage rolled.

thanks,
Tae
Old 05-14-2003, 05:33 PM

maxx2,
i think your problem might be differnt cause my lights never go out. I have having problem with my cruise control, the car drives luggish transmission wise when the light comes on and my light comes on ever few days...i have already reset it like 5 times. Also i am getting bad gas mileage for driving on the highway the whole time.
I dont know where you guys are located, but i am in NY so everything here is a little more expensive, but anyways i also checked the junk yard and for a 97 max the guage cluster was really hard to find. Only 1 guy had it out of 10 people that i called and he wanted $175 for it.

Taemax97,
didnt you have to calibrate the cluster?
Old 05-15-2003, 09:15 AM

not yet... i know i should but with the mileage i put on my max i don't really think it's neccessery. originally i had 110000 on my old cluster and when i replaced it, it had 80000. And i average about little over 3000 a month. couple weeks ago when i took it to a dealer they were saying that it's illegal and i could get in trouble but as long as i stay away from dealer and few shops i might pull this one out but i think im gonna do it pretty soon though.... but still debating.

thanks,
Tae
Old 05-15-2003, 10:29 AM

no biggie tae unless you plan on reselling your car or something...if you use it till it dies who cares how many miles u have on it or what it says..right?

Well I hope i am not getting ripped off getting this done...i mean $400 bucks is a lot but i can take that hit without getting effected at all, but i still would rather not pay for something that didnt to get done. Well one thing i do know is that the price is about right for the dealer, cause i checked couple of places. I just hope this fixes all my isses like the cruise control and OD light blinking and slugish tran and bad gas mileage.

The dealer in Queens is kinda retarded cause they tell me one price over the phone and another (usally more money) when i go into get it done. They usally say oh that price was not for a maxima but a 4 cyl engine or something...so i am getting this done in CT around where i work. A little cheaper labor and tax rate.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:04 PM

Hope it works out for ya... good luck..
but still i would try to get it off of ebay or something first...but that's my thought.

Tae
Old 05-15-2003, 12:08 PM

i tired ebay already. There isnt one for sale there. I also tired the junkyard and they asked for too much moneny...almost close to a new part.
Well i rather have it done correctly cause i know i will be driving it for atleast another 2 or 3 years.

thanks,
Ken
Old 05-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This happened to me last year. I ended up replacing the speedo and the tach. The tach had bouncy needle syndrome for about three months prior!

Now I have an extra set of white gauge faces and needles if anyone is intrested.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:34 PM

kenju
You talking about bayside? Screw that guy. When I was shopping for my 2000 SE I went there and got the runaround bigtime. I'm out on the island. My dealer in Westbury gave me the 300 quote Wednesday morning.Check it out. You could put that extra 100 to good use.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:55 AM

Yeah i live in bayside but moved here recently so before I use to goto Koppell Nissan on Northern blvd. They have good mechanics there. I have been to Star Nissan in bayside a few times while my car was still under warrently to get my blower motor replaced and stuff...the mechanics there are stupid and totally un professional...i found screws and stuff on the floor in my car which they forgot to put on...I dont go there anymore for anything. Koppell is good but they quoted me around 400 too. I'll check out westbury thats not too far from me either...This is just one of those things that i dont trust myself doing myself, so I got no choice but to goto a dealer but usally i do it myself.

thanks,
ken
Old 05-16-2003, 03:40 PM

Star nissan is who i was talking about in bayside, they suck.
Try westbury 516 3385644. Dan is the guy who quoted me 300 this week.