4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Am I getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Am I getting ripped off?

I had to replace my engine and starter and it's finally done, but the total, $5800, is more than I expected to say the least. The thing that's killing me is they're charging $850 for the new starter and reprogramming the security codes. They had to order everything and I know that shipping up here (Alaska) can be expensive. But I think thats a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any info or input would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:18 PM

You could have bought another 4th gen with around 80-100k miles for that price, so yeah.. seems like that was pretty expensive.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:25 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Am I getting ripped off?

Originally posted by **snowpanda**
I had to replace my engine and starter and it's finally done, but the total, $5800, is more than I expected to say the least. The thing that's killing me is they're charging $850 for the new starter and reprogramming the security codes. They had to order everything and I know that shipping up here (Alaska) can be expensive. But I think thats a bit steep. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any info or input would be appreciated.
damn... starter is around 80-120 bucks (dunno if it's any different in alaska... doubt it). You could have easily installed that yourself w/ the picture by picture instructions on www.motorvate.ca .

Security codes... what's up w/ that?

engine... 5800?! sounds way too expensive! u can throw motors from maximas ranging from 95-99!

www.car-parts.com

I'm assuming it's dealership... so at least u would have warranty on the NEW motor.

u might get good performance up in alaska tho hehe
Old 05-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, everyone can stop laughing now, believe it or not we do have an import scene up here. So what if we can only bring them out for 2 months a year? You can see for yourself you're interested

www.alaskamotorsports.com

Back to the subject, it's $5800 total for the engine, starter, and labor. Not dealership work so no warranty. So this security thing sounds like BS? I don't want to call the mechanic on it unless I'm positive.

Prices must be way different in the lower 48's, I bought my maxima with 80k for 10g's. Maybe I need to move.......
Old 05-30-2003, 07:05 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

That is WAY to much to pay for that job! Your getting ripped off!
Old 05-30-2003, 07:11 PM

Ship your car to Washington, have the work done there, and save yourself at least a little money! Shipping can't be toooooooooo much.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:14 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

wait wait wait wait wait

wtf is this security business u speak of. What's wrong w/ your car?? Is it a 1999 ?? The only security problem that can be related to the starter could be the security chip in the key...

whatever it is, get some details to us before u start talking to the mechanic about it. If the work is already done, then i guess u are **** outta luck. let us know what's up... plenty of knowledgable members here to help u.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by nadir_s
wait wait wait wait wait

wtf is this security business u speak of. What's wrong w/ your car?? Is it a 1999 ?? The only security problem that can be related to the starter could be the security chip in the key...

whatever it is, get some details to us before u start talking to the mechanic about it. If the work is already done, then i guess u are **** outta luck. let us know what's up... plenty of knowledgable members here to help u.
It's a 96 the work is already done, and they told me that the security codes had to deal with resetting my stock alarm. My oil sensor went not operating correctly which as I understand it is a pretty common problem (service manager at our nisaan dealership told me that) I had a leak and my engine siezed. There was no service engine light or anything. Just driving and all of a sudden a really bad grinding noise and my car died. I was 215 miles from any form of civilization, not very cool. So I took it in and I didn't want to rebuild my engine so we bought a used 97 motor with 3k miles on it. Because of that (this is the mechanic talking) we had to order a new ECU that also had to be programmed. So my ECU, and starter are brand new. That's what I had shipped. I'm debating whether or not to call it a loss, just give it to them, and buy an 04 Maxima. The dealership wont give me 6 grand for my current maxima and I wanted to buy a new one this July. But with a service bill this high I don't think I can afford it.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by **snowpanda**

It's a 96 the work is already done, and they told me that the security codes had to deal with resetting my stock alarm. My oil sensor went not operating correctly which as I understand it is a pretty common problem (service manager at our nisaan dealership told me that) I had a leak and my engine siezed. There was no service engine light or anything. Just driving and all of a sudden a really bad grinding noise and my car died. I was 215 miles from any form of civilization, not very cool. So I took it in and I didn't want to rebuild my engine so we bought a used 97 motor with 3k miles on it. Because of that (this is the mechanic talking) we had to order a new ECU that also had to be programmed. So my ECU, and starter are brand new. That's what I had shipped. I'm debating whether or not to call it a loss, just give it to them, and buy an 04 Maxima. The dealership wont give me 6 grand for my current maxima and I wanted to buy a new one this July. But with a service bill this high I don't think I can afford it.

Panda:

You got a good alaskan snow f******!!!

There is now way in hell it should have cost that much. As far as reprogramming the ECU, never heard of it. The ECU is plug and play.

Sorry you got screwed, next time post here first so you do not get taken advantage of.

Old 05-31-2003, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sux bro, my max 95 se w/ 64k on it cost me 6000, lmfao