4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ACT Clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 07:33 PM

ACT Clutch.

I really hate having to post something I know I've seen before. But I've looked through several of the pages of posts and couldnt find what I had seen. So here I am asking this question for the umptenth time.

I just got my new ACT clutch installed. The reason is that my clutch pedal was very very soft, changing gears was getting really rough, and it was slipping bad. I got it replaced for $260, if anyone is interested in price. I've heard of the crucial 300 mile break in period. And I know for the first month its kind of rough but, today seemed like I was driving stick for the first time. I was having a very rough time getting into 1st and 2nd. The car would tremble pretty harsh while I was reving to change gears. Now I've been driving stick to close of 6 years now, and I've never felt anything like that(other than my first day).

Does the break in period mean that you have to go through a short adjustment while the clutch gets situated or just not peeling out in 1st? My mechanic who installed it told me that you had to run it hard the first time, which I haven't. I haven't really tortured or anything but I'm worried that something may have gone wrong with the installation or am I just worried over for no reason?

Also my shifter is still kind of rough. My mechanic told me that might be the transmission itself giving me some kind of resistance. The car has a little over 100k miles on it.

I dunno, let me know what you guys think. And if you can find any links that refer to this please reply with them. I never realized how important a search feature is until I arrived to your gazzalion post forum of useful information

*edit* BTW, the proper term I found is "chatter". There's a lot of "chatter" when changing gears.

*edit 2* Ok, I seem to have found some of my own answers on the net. It seems that this kind of "chatter" is normal for ACT clutches. Although I should've found this out before hand(insult me later). My question is now, does it get better? Either with practice or does the clutch just settle in? Also what kind of experiences have you guys had after getting this installed, mainly in traffic. Cause I have a feeling I'm not gonna be enjoying the Monday morning drive to work.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just finsihed in breaking in my ACT after a 5spd conversion.

I sanded down the flywheel thuroughly and cleaned with brake cleaner thuroughly before installing, and I've never had any major chatter.

I can't believe your mechanic told you to run it hard....you shouldn't go over 3-3.5k RPM for at LEAST 500 miles...I took mine to 700....

Now it doesn't chatter, grabs really hard, and feels great....

From what I know, as the clutch and flywheel mate (things wear down a bit), the chatter gets much better and eventually completely goes away.

IanS
Old 06-01-2003, 12:04 AM

Hmm...I should've replaced the flywheel while he was working on it. Is the process of replacing the flywheel as complicated as the clutch? I'd go back to him and ask to replace it, but I honestly dont want to spend the same cash that I did for the clutch.

BTW, thanks for the reassurance.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by AngelC
Hmm...I should've replaced the flywheel while he was working on it. Is the process of replacing the flywheel as complicated as the clutch? I'd go back to him and ask to replace it, but I honestly dont want to spend the same cash that I did for the clutch.

BTW, thanks for the reassurance.
Well, you didn't have to replace the flywheel, but you should have had it resurfaced. Resurfacing a flywheel is fairly normal procedure when replacing a clutch....

When you have the clutch removed, the flywheel is only another 15 minutes to remove....

But now that it's all together, he'll have to remove the clutch again to get to the flywheel.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:12 AM

chatter

break in period refers to, the time involved in seating the disk to flywheel surface. which means getting the entire disk surface worn down evenly. one way to achieve this is by alot of stop and go driving. smoothly engage clutch, each time you take off. you can take off somewhat aggressive, but dont over do it.
as far as chatter is concerned, with my experiences chatter usually occurs during first gear take off. the disk is aggresively engageing the flywheel surface resulting in alot of shock and noise. also with "aggresive disk surfaces" downshifting at high speeds can result in chatter. this is the nature of the beast. i was never pleased with the performance of the stock clutch. take offs with it gave me chatter at times also. One way of eliminating chatter is by installing urathane motor mounts. it does not stop the wearing away of the disk/flywheel surface but it will help eliminate chatter and wheel hop. any othe rquestions you can email me.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:16 AM

I definatly feel the chatter in first, and I expect it to reduce alot in the next coming weeks. But I also feel it in reverse. Is this normal as well?
Old 06-01-2003, 11:40 AM

yes. the disk is made of aggressive material. so it just grips and jerks around. the key now is for you to learn to drive with it.
i used to think," better disk material = better grip." but the results are damaging. to flywheel and disk. heavy wear and tear.
a better theory is more clamping force(but not over amounts) w/street/performance disk. using a disk that is drivable, with low chatter, basically an organic disk, and clamping force that will prevent disk from slipping.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:19 PM

Just that we're clear about which kit I have, this is the one I purchased.

Make: Nissan Model: Maxima Year: 84-2001
Applications: 3000cc, 240mm Suggested Retail Price

Clutch Kit Number: NM1-HDMM $391.00

Torque Capacity: 362

Pressure Increase: 39% Over Stock
Weight: 16.00 lbs.
ACT Pressure Plate: N-015
ACT Disc: NSD007M
Release Bearing: RB809
Pilot Bearing: PB1012
Alignment Tool: AT01 Actual Photo
XACT Flywheels Available:
Comments:
Note:
Old 06-02-2003, 12:41 PM

any other suggestions.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:11 PM

if you have to force it into gear, that is a pressure plate issue.(not enough throw) if it is just not shifting smoothly it could be the fluid, try redline mt-90 if you dont have it already.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:31 PM

I'm not certain of how much MT90 will be needed. Will one bottle be enough or should I get two?
Old 06-02-2003, 08:16 PM
rmb

I'm not certain of how much MT90 will be needed. Will one bottle be enough or should I get two?
Check the manual but I think I bought 6 bottles......

-RMB
Old 06-02-2003, 11:35 PM

Fill it until the fill hole starts leaking fluid.

I used 5 bottles....better buy 6, just to be sure.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:06 AM

Great thanks
Old 06-03-2003, 07:49 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by iansw
I sanded down the flywheel thuroughly and cleaned with brake cleaner thuroughly before installing, and I've never had any major chatter.
Did you not have it professionally resurfaced? I was wondering if having a machine shop do it was completely necessary.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:49 AM

In all honesty I don't know. My mechanic did the install and he mentioned that he had to align something while installing my clutch. But I didnt get the details.

BTW, the clutch is feeling a lot better now. A lot less chatter. I'm not sure if I'm getting used to it or if its mating with the flywheel as Iansw had mentioned. Probably both, but either way I'm starting to enjoy it. I can't wait till after the breakin mileage so that I can tear it up. As it is I'm enjoying highspeeds at lower rpms. I'll be flushing the transmission and adding the MT90 as you all have suggested soon too. By any chance does anyone know the link to the DIY guide for the transmission flush?
Old 06-04-2003, 06:55 AM
rmb

In all honesty I don't know. My mechanic did the install and he mentioned that he had to align something while installing my clutch. But I didnt get the details.

BTW, the clutch is feeling a lot better now. A lot less chatter. I'm not sure if I'm getting used to it or if its mating with the flywheel as Iansw had mentioned. Probably both, but either way I'm starting to enjoy it. I can't wait till after the breakin mileage so that I can tear it up. As it is I'm enjoying highspeeds at lower rpms. I'll be flushing the transmission and adding the MT90 as you all have suggested soon too. By any chance does anyone know the link to the DIY guide for the transmission flush?
There is no flush for the manual. Just drain the old and add the new.

Also what do you mean by "highspeeds at lower rpms"? Was your stock clutch slipping that badly?

-RMB
Old 06-04-2003, 07:19 AM

Yeah it was, which is why I replaced it. I'm doing about 80mph at under 3k rpms. With my stock clutch that it was a little closer to 4k. Ofcourse this is in 5th gear.