4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Integra gsr or maxima se???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 01:45 PM

so heres how it is. My family currently owns 3 Maximas. a '92 se5spd (which by the way just passed the 217k mark), my current 98'se5spd, and an i30t. We are a maxima family, as are many. the Maxima's buyer base has the most loyal customers of any out there. There is a reason. Its fast, luxurious, sexy, and practical. best of all, you can drive it hard, let that wonderfully responsive vq do its thing, and still pay MUCH less than a damned BMW. screw the integ, become a member
Old 06-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i just read the honda forum post, im surprised maxima's didnt get bashed on a lot more, you see a honda and you picture the type of person that respects nothing but his honda...anyway im on almost 130k with mine, only thing i've done is a trany because it had problems from the previous owner other then that its been great, i do have a friend with a gsr and personally think its the most obnoxious little car i've ever seen lol but thats more about how its modded then anything else...one thing i'd like to point out though, on the acura forum somone responded sayin that if you like to keep the car at redline with out it breaking then buy an integra...but really, in a maxima you wouldnt have to keep it at redline to get power so it wouldnt matter
Old 06-11-2003, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by bobjohnson
I might go with the Integra now. My Max has 135,000 miles and its falling apart. Oh, Its been falling apart the past 10,000 miles with rough idles. Yet Ive spent est.$1500 in sensors and parts to fix it. and only $700 in just bolt ons.wtf. Thats big na-na. Think of the parts i wish i had.

But I still drive the max. why? eh its Big, Mean,Yet Classy . But it is a as$ to maintain. Expensive too.

Its also about luck and mielage of the car. Get it mint and I Guarantee you'll love it fresh.

I suggest you read the forumns and see what problems people have and notice the probs/perf threads. good luck chosing.

dude i think its funny that you think an Acura will be cheaper to mod/maintain....you're slightly off...
Old 06-11-2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by DanIAm
one thing i'd like to point out though, on the acura forum somone responded sayin that if you like to keep the car at redline with out it breaking then buy an integra...but really, in a maxima you wouldnt have to keep it at redline to get power so it wouldnt matter
oh yes!!! thats a plus 3!!!

why you ask...cause i am pretty confident that I could take a GS-R pretty good only taking it up to 4k RPM...

you might call BS..but i would like to try it. i got the launch and the TQ after that its bye bye teg.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally posted by ChristheNite
I was in the same predicament, but after looking at about 5-6 GSR's I realized that they have all been driven hard EVERYDAY and most were wrecked. The Maxima is a GREAT car and maxima drivers are truely a unique breed - we dont kill our cars. Not to mention the max's can run to 200,000 miles with regular matinence which is pretty awesome. Ask around and you'll see why the maxima is truely one of the greatest v6 grocery getting sleepers ever created...

just my $.02

Not to mention you never have to change your Timming belt
Old 06-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Blazin......

Originally posted by luckee2bhere

dude i think its funny that you think an Acura will be cheaper to mod/maintain....you're slightly off...

Huh? Do you have any idea what a knock sensor, crank sensor, O2 sensors, egr check valve COST. how about a 150.00 starter.
now who was slightly off..

I also use to own a integra with 190,000 miles on it. I only replaced the cv joint and a fuse 2 times. Sold it for the Max and well, Now I Know what Maintance Really Is.

Read the forumns on here, and notice all the different Probs.vs Perfor.
Then decide.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:01 PM

I was also stuck in the GS-R vs. Max debate before I bought my Maxima. See I used to drive a 1985 Corolla that was fantastic. It was slow, noisy, bumpy, and rock solid. I called it the Curse, because my parents would not let me get a car until it broke, and it did not look like it would be breaking any time soon. But when some drug dealer guy stopped at our house and offered $500 cash (what we bought it for 3 years before), we jumped at the opportunity.

So the replacement had to be reliable (see: Japanese) and enjoyable. This narrowed things down to a GS-R or a Maxima. We took a 97 GS-R for a test drive, and my father thought it was a hoot. He used to have an old Corvette Stingray that he loved before he gave it up for a family vehicle, so he knows what a performance car is, and he liked the GS-R. He got an "Oh SH*T!" out of the salesman when he took it for a test drive. But then we looked at a 98 Maxima. It pulled just as hard as the Integra, and it did not handle as well, but it more than made up for that in refinement. The interior also seemed to be in fantastically better shape, and the engine looked absolutely spotless.

I could have gotten the Integra, and if I did I would probably be ganking parts off of another Acura out in some parking lot somewhere. But I couldn't get over how the Maxima was a better class of vehicle for the same price. So we bought the Maxima.

I am making contingency plans, though. If the Auto tranny breaks, I'm doing a 5 spd swap. If I get hit and the Max is totalled in the accident, and I can swing it with my insurance, I'm gonna find a 95 or 96 240SX and start buying parts for an SR20DET swap.

But right now, for enjoyable, reliable, refined, and roomy transportation, you can't beat a used 4th Gen.