4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mufflers and sounds with aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mufflers and sounds with aftermarket exhausts

Mufflers!

I was hoping that you guys could help me pick a good muffler to go along with my Budget y-pipe, Budget test pipe, Budget b-pipe (with resonator – Magnaflow is what they used I believe). Why am I not getting a Budget muffler? That is because Budget has been stringing me along for a few weeks now. So I’m sick and tired of waiting for them, and my stock 95SE muffler is sounding worse and worse everyday. Budget themselves told me that it is the shot baffles in my muffler that are making it sound so bad. I have talked to a few people (non Maxima) and here are some of the recommendations. Hope I can get some Maxima owners’ opinions:

1) Vibrant – Friend of a buddy who has an Altima says that the muffler sounds low toned and deep at idle and at WOT, it is no louder… and stays low and deep.
2) OBX – Similar to Vibrant but a bit louder
3) Magnaflow – Cheaper muffler I think? I don’t know what it sounds like though
4) Brullen – Always a good sounding muffler but I had one on my old car and it stayed deep but got LOUD... I don’t like that… what’s it like on the VQ?
5) Gen 5 muffler – How is this compared to the above?
6) Replacement gen 4 muffler – Should I even bother with another one or will I run into the same problems as I am having now?

Hope I can get some feedback here since almost everyone here has at least an aftermarket muffler it seems… (except me) lol

I don’t really care much for sound. I just want a muffler that is NOT loud. Deep tone is fine… but no loudness. I would like a 2.5” inlet since the rest of the exhaust is 2.5”

Thanks for any opinions.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:34 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

The Vibrant combined with the Budget Y-pipe will give you a nice throaty sound at idle but from 2500rpm and up you won't like the droning noise. It looks great sticking out from underneath the rear bumper. I think it probably needs another resonator, if one could be fitted. I emailed Vibrant to find out if they have a silencer available for it and unfortunately they don't so I'm back to the stock muffler. I'm wondering if Dynamatt would help me here?
Old 06-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

do a search for the dynomax super turbo...many people lately are getting it. I got it myself, and I could not be happier. The thing cost me $43 dollars...not too loud, nice deeeeeeeeeeep exhaust sound at 2.5K...under 2K, you can't hear it...which was very important to me. I hate incredibly loud mufflers. With the straight pipe, it will probably be louder, but you can always get another resonator, or Cat. It's not a loud exhaust, it just sounds like you are driving a "tuned" car.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:51 PM

How are fitment issues with the 5th gen on a 4th gen? Mods are on homepage and right below!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:26 PM

Some clips in my sig.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:03 PM

What does it sound like at higher rpm's or when you really get on it. I don't want loud either and I'm thinking dynomax is the way I'm going to go with my Budget Y-Pipe, but wanted more feedback on it.

Originally posted by MaxWolf
do a search for the dynomax super turbo...many people lately are getting it. I got it myself, and I could not be happier. The thing cost me $43 dollars...not too loud, nice deeeeeeeeeeep exhaust sound at 2.5K...under 2K, you can't hear it...which was very important to me. I hate incredibly loud mufflers. With the straight pipe, it will probably be louder, but you can always get another resonator, or Cat. It's not a loud exhaust, it just sounds like you are driving a "tuned" car.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:23 PM

Dynomax is the quietest and cheapest muffler that you can get period.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE
Dynomax is the quietest and cheapest muffler that you can get period.
Where can said exhaust be purchased? Are there any fitment issues? Please let me know! My muffler is rusted out, and I have to get a new one ASAP. The rattling of the one piece is killing me!
Old 06-12-2003, 04:33 AM

Advanced...pep Girls...etc..
Old 06-12-2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by MaxWolf
do a search for the dynomax super turbo...many people lately are getting it. I got it myself, and I could not be happier. The thing cost me $43 dollars...not too loud, nice deeeeeeeeeeep exhaust sound at 2.5K...under 2K, you can't hear it...which was very important to me. I hate incredibly loud mufflers.
As far as performance, is it restrictive in any way? Usually, sound = performance... but I know that some mufflers have been engineered to give good (no) sound and still deliver the performance. The Dynomax muffler is quite cheap so I am wondering if it is restrictive and would hinder performance at all.

Would this muffler be better than the gen 5 muffler (on the gen 4 Maxima)?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by speedemn

As far as performance, is it restrictive in any way? Usually, sound = performance... but I know that some mufflers have been engineered to give good (no) sound and still deliver the performance. The Dynomax muffler is quite cheap so I am wondering if it is restrictive and would hinder performance at all.

Would this muffler be better than the gen 5 muffler (on the gen 4 Maxima)?

Thanks!
Well perfomance wise its just fine considering mardigras max whos puttin down 430whp and running 11's is using the dynomax so I dont think the flow is much of an issue. Ill have to see what # muffler he is using.

maximamoose: Ill post a link when I get home to a site were its cheaper shipped to your door then you can get it at pepboys, ect..
Old 06-12-2003, 11:35 AM

Well perfomance wise its just fine considering mardigras max whos puttin down 430whp and running 11's is using the dynomax so I dont think the flow is much of an issue. Ill have to see what # muffler he is using.
I called my local auto hardware store and they said that they can order any dynomax muffler, but when I told them that I wanted the "Dynomax Super Turbo" muffler they said that they cannot get one of those for the Nissan Maxima. What's up with that?

I am assuming that you can get a universal muffler as long as the dimensions are right? I know that there was a thread here on the org about what dimensions we can use, but thanks to no search I can't find it. Does anyone know off-hand what the dimensions are so I can order by dimension?

HitManSE, did MardiGras Max use the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler as well?
Old 06-12-2003, 12:14 PM

Yes he used the SuperTurbo muffler. The one I was or am gonna evetually get was the 17748 and like $45 +shipping so its pretty cheap. I dont kow why they said they can get that for the maxima, maybe they thought you were refering to a direct bolt setup? I have all the measurments at home ect... Im at work right now, but like I said ill post back with a link ect.. later on. Like 7-8 hrs from now (yeah I work long @ss hrs )
Old 06-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Your stock muffler is completely fine and your baffles are not messed up. It's your B-pipe that causing the noise problems. I know exactly what sound you're talking about too. It sounds like thin peices of metal hitting each other, especially in the lower revs. This is the sound you'll get without a resonator or a B-pipe with a small resonator. I've had two different aftermarket B-pipes and they made this sound. When I went back to the stock B-pipe the sound disappeared. Same muffler used in ALL cases. Search the Org and you'll see that Budget is just feeding you BS about bad baffles.

Dave
Old 06-12-2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Your stock muffler is completely fine and your baffles are not messed up. It's your B-pipe that causing the noise problems. I know exactly what sound you're talking about too. It sounds like thin peices of metal hitting each other, especially in the lower revs. This is the sound you'll get without a resonator or a B-pipe with a small resonator. I've had two different aftermarket B-pipes and they made this sound. When I went back to the stock B-pipe the sound disappeared. Same muffler used in ALL cases. Search the Org and you'll see that Budget is just feeding you BS about bad baffles.

Dave
Oh that metal grinding noise? Ive had to too, with the stock muffler when I removed my resonator. It only happens at WOT. I threw in the cattman B-pipe which has a large resonator and its gone. Sorry I didnt read about your resonator being removed but its from the B-pipe Dave B is correct. Yeah that does sound like @ss, get a resonator man. Thats about all it took to get rid of the noise in mine.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Maxima Owner

i am going to run Budget Y-pipe, Budget B-pipe w/resonator, and factory nissan muffler, is that a decent combo???
Old 06-12-2003, 03:19 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

That would be good. The stock muffler will keep things quiet.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by BlackCat
That would be good. The stock muffler will keep things quiet.
The best exhaust (noise wise) is everything done up and a 00+ muffler.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:30 PM

the dynomax is maybe 2/3's the size of the oem muffler...you buy the muffler, and a tip, bring it to a good exhaust shop, they will cut the old one off...put on some new hangers and weld it on and together...no there technically is no "Maxima" muffler that they sell. Like almost all the aftermarket companies...they don't even think people mod Max's
Old 06-12-2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by MaximaSE96
i am going to run Budget Y-pipe, Budget B-pipe w/resonator, and factory nissan muffler, is that a decent combo???
That's exactly what I got...
Old 06-12-2003, 11:48 PM

You can find borlas, magnaflow, huge @ss resonators, ect...Here

and here is the link for the Dynomax Mufflers

Old 06-13-2003, 07:12 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The best exhaust (noise wise) is everything done up and a 00+ muffler.
Amen. I love the throatiness of my 01 muffler on my 96. There is definately a better sound that comes out of the 2K+ muffler compared to the 4th gens muffler.

Dave
Old 06-13-2003, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

Amen. I love the throatiness of my 01 muffler on my 96. There is definately a better sound that comes out of the 2K+ muffler compared to the 4th gens muffler.

Dave
So the gen 5 muffler took away that baffle clanging noise away? I thought you said that it was the motor along with the free-flowing pipes that created that noise.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:01 AM

So the gen 5 muffler took away that baffle clanging noise away? I thought you said that it was the motor along with the free-flowing pipes that created that noise.
Keep the resonator. Hang on to the 00+ muffler your got OE and add a resonator and grinding noise will be gone. Like I said been there and done that a long time ago.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:41 AM

Keep the resonator. Hang on to the 00+ muffler your got OE and add a resonator and grinding noise will be gone. Like I said been there and done that a long time ago.
I plan on keeping the resonator on my Budget b-pipe.
I don't have a gen 5 muffler, but I am seriously considering the Dynomax Super Turbo since I've heard nothing but good things about it and the price is about 1/6 of a used gen 5 muffler on the forum!

My only question now is that why the guys here mentioned 17747 when it has 2.25" inlet and outlet... whereas the 17748 is identical, but with 2.5" inlet and outlet.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Maxima Owner

the reason i want to use stock muffler is to keep the sleeper look u know
Old 06-13-2003, 10:18 AM
MaximaFreak

You can find borlas, magnaflow, huge @ss resonators, ect...Here

and here is the link for the Dynomax Mufflers

So, how would a resonator be put in? I have a Stillen Y & B, stock 4th gen muffler, and more exhaust noise than I care for. I think some of it is the y pipe vibrating the heat shield, but the rest definitely is coming from the rear of my car. Would they just hack the current B pipe and retrofit the resonator in there?
Old 06-13-2003, 10:20 AM

a good exhaust done right just sounds like the car is nice and tuned... I absolutely can't stand loud exhaust systems.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Banned

flowmaster.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:07 PM

I plan on keeping the resonator on my Budget b-pipe.
I don't have a gen 5 muffler, but I am seriously considering the Dynomax Super Turbo since I've heard nothing but good things about it and the price is about 1/6 of a used gen 5 muffler on the forum!

My only question now is that why the guys here mentioned 17747 when it has 2.25" inlet and outlet... whereas the 17748 is identical, but with 2.5" inlet and outlet.
The 17747 is a direct fit for the factory piping which is 2.25". I personally have the cattman b-pipe which came with the resonator and its got 2.5" piping and I got the last 2ft made with custom piping and paired it off with a magnaflow muffler which is 2.25" inlet but got it expanded to 2.5" its no big deal. Just get the 17748 and give it to a muffler shop they will figure it out. The dyno max should flow a bit better then he OE muffler but the difference is not apperant until you pass the 300+ hp mark. Go with the 17748 either way you look at it, its a univeral muffler and can be welded on and made to work. Not a big deal at all.

Big_Ham: on te first link I provided, go to search and type in resonator for choices. The larger you got the quieter and no loss in power is felt, just less noise. The resonator goes in the b-pipe right after the cat. So yes they will hack up the b-pipe and place is behind the cat, once again no big deal.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:47 PM

just got back from having my super turbo "fixed", a resonated tip was put on so my dynomax super turbo..now I can't even hear the thing. So if your looking for quiet, this may be the way to go
Old 06-14-2003, 10:45 AM

I'm looking at the 17740 or 17770 for my 3.5 I think the increased cfm for these 2 will offer good power at a decent price. Their both in the $75 range and gettin a 3" to 2.5" adapter is no big deal. I like the thought of the 17770 because it's damn near stock size even though it has less flow than the 17740 but I want dual tips so I'm still up in the air on these 2.