4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

was told not to change my transmission fluid b/c its gonna start to slip

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 01:16 PM

was told not to change my transmission fluid b/c its gonna start to slip

i bought my car with 104k , it now has 120k, when i first bought the car the trans fluid looked pink and someone told me it probally was just changed but im not sure

i bought a case of amsoil ATF to put in when i get a complete flush done
today i went to AAMCO to try and get a flush done

the guy told me i shouldnt do it b/c the fluid smelled like it was burned and if i was to change it, it might begin to slip with the new fluid b/c the old fluid is thick and could hold it better

he said i should just leave it as it is and not change it ever
also said that i can expect my tranny to get bad within a few months b/c since its burned its already too late

so now I'm stuck i have to worry about saving $$ for when my tranny does go bad

i dont know if that guy knew what he was talking about and if i should still have it done
but it did look like it was just changed when i first bought my car

im having no problems in shifting, all gears shift smooth besides first gear to second which pulls hard

Anyone out there with high milege who never changed their ATF fluid still have original tranny?
can i still expect mine to last a few years or not
i drive normal usually but there is those times when i just floor it to hear my intake and feel the ypipe kick in

this sucks
Old 06-13-2003, 01:32 PM

thats interesting, i dont really know, but i just installed the vb in my car, 70k miles(dont know if atf was ever changed, but was definatly black), and in the process about half the fluid drained out so i refilled it with mobil 1. and it was slipping but i think that was becuase my fluid was overfilled. now it works almost perfectly, but im still working out the kinks.

good luck
Old 06-13-2003, 02:46 PM

I agree with the Aamco guy if the fluid is really dark due to oxidation. This is how it is with old radiator coolant, once it gets so old, its the gunk and sludge that holds the radiator together. Change the coolant, and you get all sorts of leaks. However, for ATF, I don't think thats the case.

I think this Aamco guy wants you to leave the fluid in, have your transmission eventually fail, and for you to pay him to fix it. I would take it to another shop and have them change the fluid for you now. I don't think it will hurt. You paid so much for the amsoil might as well use it.