4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

brake pad stuck against rotor, caliper guide pins help (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 10:11 PM

brake pad stuck against rotor, caliper guide pins help (long)

My drivers side front wheel doesn't spin freely when off the ground. The car pulls to the right all the time and i had an alignment about a month ago (didnt start pulling until a week or so ago) and the steering wheel turns clockwise when braking sometimes. I can also see the outer brake pad touching the rotor. I went to autozone and bought a set of 2 upper and 2 lower guide pins with the 14mm bolts.

I'm going to follow motorvate.ca instructions along with the haynes manual, but i have a few questions.

On the upper caliper guide pin, there seems to be a black peice of material (rubber maybe?) wrapped around the end of the pin, opposite the 14mm bolt.
Can i use the old one and put it on the new pin?
If i replace the upper and lower pins on the driver side caliper, should i replace them on the passenger side rotor even if there are no problems with it?
I'd rather not purchase a caliper rebuild kit until later when i save up money to buy pads and rotors.
Is there anything i really should replace besides the upper and lower pin, grease, and 14mm bolt they attach to?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all the help.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:33 PM

You could try checking out the Chilton Manual Online. I'm about to my brakes next weekend(provided my Brembo rotors arrive). I thought it had a pretty good illustrated breakdown of all the caliper components, including torque specs.

I haven't picked up an actual paper copy of a manual yet, so I really can't compare to one.

a
Old 06-17-2003, 05:06 AM

Why do you think the guid pins are the problem? Do they move easily or are they "dragging" when you try to push/pull on them? If they are your only problem, then just regrease them and the rubber boot covering them. I suspect that you have rusty caliper pistons and probably need to rebuilt the calipers and regrease all pins and boots.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:19 AM

could i get away with just taking the caliper apart, regreasing the piston, guide pins, and boots, and putting it back together? I don't need to replace any part unless the pins are physically damaged correct?
Old 06-17-2003, 08:48 AM

A couple of things:

You say that the car pulls to the right during braking, yet it is your driver's side (left) that appears to be dragging. I would think if the driver's side was dragging, it would pull to the left.

I had a similar problem just last week, but on the drivers side rear caliper. The caliper wasn't completely frozen, but it was very difficult to move. I took the caliper off, regreased the pins and boots, lifted up the boot that covers the piston and sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner in there to clear everything out. Then I workd the piston in and out of the caliper, and it moved easier. Put everything back together, and it seems to be working better.

I too was trying to avoid a caliper rebuild kit or a new (reman) caliper if at all possible.

Good Luck.

Eric
99 SE 5spd
Old 06-17-2003, 08:51 AM

thanks eric! great influence! Ill check the passenger side as well
Old 06-17-2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Eric99SE
A couple of things:

You say that the car pulls to the right during braking, yet it is your driver's side (left) that appears to be dragging. I would think if the driver's side was dragging, it would pull to the left.

I had a similar problem just last week, but on the drivers side rear caliper. The caliper wasn't completely frozen, but it was very difficult to move. I took the caliper off, regreased the pins and boots, lifted up the boot that covers the piston and sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner in there to clear everything out. Then I workd the piston in and out of the caliper, and it moved easier. Put everything back together, and it seems to be working better.

I too was trying to avoid a caliper rebuild kit or a new (reman) caliper if at all possible.

Good Luck.

Eric
99 SE 5spd
how do I work the piston in and out of the caliper? how do i lift up the boot that covers the piston?
Old 06-17-2003, 12:12 PM

On the front brakes, all you have to do is use a C-Clamp to push the piston back into the caliper. Then pump the brake once, and the piston will move back out. Do not pump the brake multiple times, as this can cause the whole piston to come out. The rubber boot I am referring to surrounds the piston. Just carefully pry one side of it up. Be careful not to rip it.

If you pm me your email, I can try and scan some pictures out of my Haynes manual and email them to you. Let me know.

Eric
Old 06-17-2003, 12:30 PM

While you are overhauling the calipers, check to ensure the rotor isn't warped. You can observe the action of the rotor by jacking the car up, putting it in drive and observe the motion of the caliper for any sideways movement.