4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Weight Reduction...Qs and TIPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 05:46 PM

Weight Reduction...Qs and TIPS

Ok so I am thinking about doing some weight reduction to my Max. I have some questions first:

1. What the heck is the black plastic on my hood for? Seems like a waste. That was the first thing I was going to take off.

2. You know the metal shields that are around the brake discs? My friend told me they are dead weight and they dont do anything. He thought they might weigh up to 10 lbs each. What are they for? Do I need them?

3. I just recently cleared out my tailights and found some pretty thick foam lining behind the stuff that lines my trunk...why would I need that?

4. I was told there is all kinds of foam padding underneath my carpeting...is someone laying down there so that it has to be comfortable? Why would I need that?

5. I have taken my rear bench out before and noticed some sheet metal that doesnt seem to be needed in the backrest. Will removing this affect my passenger's safety? I was thinking sheet metal probably won't have any effect on anything...

So basically any imput anyone has is helpful to me. I have never tried a project like this on a car so I need to relay ideas back and forth so that I can know if I am doing anything wrong. This guy I met removed 300lbs from his E36 M3 and on a stock motor he was running about 13.5-6 according to him. They normally run about 14.0 stock. I dont think that I will get that crazy about removing weight from my car but I'd like to give it a try with some stuff.

The only thing that worries me is my Dad's consistent thought that everything I do to my car "It was not made for." So therefore he thinks that taking something off is stupid because "If it is on the car, it is there for a reason." For everything that I have listed so far I cannot see the reason that it is part of my car except maybe sound defenning(wow i dont know how to spell that). Besides that I dont see how any of these reductions would hurt my car. Opinions and other helpful ideas on weight reduction would be a big help. THANKS.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you should leave the caliper shields behind the brakes. i don't see how those would weigh 10lbs apiece.

i wouldn't remove the padding under the carpet either. the carpet won't fit right after.

i also wouldn't remove any metal from the structure of your car...

wow...... that was helpful

Old 06-20-2003, 05:58 PM

Personally, I wouldn't go cutting out pieces of sheet metal, it's probably there to make the car more rigid. If you havent already done so, taking out the spare tire and jack will save a pretty significant amount of weight, I wouldn't really reccomend it though if you drive long distances daily. If you have subs in the trunk, get rid of those too.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:02 PM

i would look around for some stock 15in wheels to put on for track use. You could drop some weight there.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by slizan99
you should leave the caliper shields behind the brakes. i don't see how those would weigh 10lbs apiece.

i wouldn't remove the padding under the carpet either. the carpet won't fit right after.

i also wouldn't remove any metal from the structure of your car...

wow...... that was helpful

what do the shields do? man Jake! you ruined every idea I had!
Old 06-20-2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by slizan99
i would look around for some stock 15in wheels to put on for track use. You could drop some weight there.
thats why i was looking at the RX7 rims that I have posted about recently. I would like my car at the track to be as close to the way it rides on the street as possible.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:14 PM

I think you need to make up your mind about your car. If you intend to keep it as a daily driver, I wouldn't remove anything (though the suggestion of lighter wheels was good). If you want a little weight reduction at the track, pull your spare + jack out, and floormats. If you want to make it like a race machine, then by all means, pull out the carpets, padding, rear seat, passenger seat, dash, trim, etc. I wouldn't go around cutting sheet metal off my car in any case though. The specific piece you mentioned is almost certainly there for chassis rigidity. I like driving fast too, but I'm not about to gut my car for it.
GMT
PS- the padding under the carpets is probably noise insulation. Expect your interior to be loud loud loud if you remove it.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hope this helps.

http://lighter.maxdes.net/
Old 06-20-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by luckee2bhere

what do the shields do? man Jake! you ruined every idea I had!
sorry bro for busting your ideas

the shields protect the back of the brakes from road debris
Old 06-20-2003, 07:00 PM

how about the metal bumpers behind the bumper covers? they should be at least 40 lbs a peice.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by GMT_MAX
I think you need to make up your mind about your car. If you intend to keep it as a daily driver, I wouldn't remove anything (though the suggestion of lighter wheels was good). If you want a little weight reduction at the track, pull your spare + jack out, and floormats. If you want to make it like a race machine, then by all means, pull out the carpets, padding, rear seat, passenger seat, dash, trim, etc. I wouldn't go around cutting sheet metal off my car in any case though. The specific piece you mentioned is almost certainly there for chassis rigidity. I like driving fast too, but I'm not about to gut my car for it.
GMT
PS- the padding under the carpets is probably noise insulation. Expect your interior to be loud loud loud if you remove it.
I DONT WANT TO MAKE UP MY MIND!!! I want it all!!! I had my jack stolen and my lug key has been lost so I dont drive with my spare anyway. I hardly ever leave the 10 mile radius around my house anyway.
If my car being loud is the only side effect I dont mind. I wasnt talking about cutting any metal. The piece I was talking about bolts on.
Originally posted by plurco
how about the metal bumpers behind the bumper covers? they should be at least 40 lbs a peice.
I sense some sarcasm...is it really needed?
Old 06-20-2003, 09:11 PM

I sense some sarcasm...is it really needed?
No sarcasm, I think Sprint did this. Sure it is not as safe, but it is lighter.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:11 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE
Hope this helps.

http://lighter.maxdes.net/
Yeah I have seen that before but I had forgotten how to find it. Thanks.
Going down the list:
-I have the Y pipe.
-I have the UDP.
-I have the catback.
-Plate under steering wheel? Whats it for?
-Support bar for glove box? Whats that do?
-Plate behind back seat...i think thats what i was talking about before.
-Sound deadening under hood, yup I thoughta that.
-Handles on ceiling. haha. i think my passengers need them.
-Aftermarket cat..probably doing it soon.
-Lighter rims...looking into it.
-Racing seats...i wanna keep a stock look.
-Ground control coilovers??? didnt realize they weighed less...why is that? WIll a KYB/AGX and Eibach combo help me lose weight as well? cause thats what I want to do.
-Hood-thinking about it
-Fast brakes kit? where is this available?
-Back seat is 30lbs...DAMN...it didnt feel like it weighed that much.

So......so far it seems out of that list I could take out about 15lbs for free and then any other weight savings costs $$$$$$$$$$$$. GREAT! So good weight reduction seems to be through Hood, Ground controls(still wondering if my aftermarket AGX/Eibach combo will have the same effect), the fastbrakes kit, and racing seats(which I am not wild about doing). This seems like the only effective things to do to save weight.....
Old 06-20-2003, 09:17 PM

No sarcasm, I think Sprint did this. Sure it is not as safe, but it is lighter.
hmmm. my fault. definitely doesnt sound safe. at least not for the street.

I think the only thing right now that I might do, which doesnt cost money,(cause I dont think that I could be effective without going crazy on removing all my lining and sheet metal that is prolly supposed to be there for some reason) is to remove the sound deadening thing on the hood. I think it would look better and I wouldnt mind a little extra sound coming from the engine compartment. hehe.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:26 PM

hmmm. my fault. definitely doesnt sound safe. at least not for the street.

I think the only thing right now that I might do, which doesnt cost money,(cause I dont think that I could be effective without going crazy on removing all my lining and sheet metal that is prolly supposed to be there for some reason) is to remove the sound deadening thing on the hood. I think it would look better and I wouldnt mind a little extra sound coming from the engine compartment. hehe.
i removed mine and did not notice any difference in sound.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Weight Reduction...Qs and TIPS

1. What the heck is the black plastic on my hood for? Seems like a waste. That was the first thing I was going to take off.
The black lining is to contain an engine fire; it's not really a sound deadener. I've also heard people mention about the paint peeling on the inside because of the extra temperature from both the top (sun) and bottom (engine).

2. You know the metal shields that are around the brake discs? What are they for? Do I need them?
You don't specifically need them, but I would keep them. They weigh maybe a pound or two, and are designed to keep both debris and water away from your rotors. Hot rotors + water = more likely to warp. I had to remove one of my shields due to an accident, but I left the other on.
-hype
Old 06-21-2003, 12:40 AM

If you're really that serious you should probably drop the AC. You'll be hotter but lighter.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Father of the 00 VI

No do not take off the bumpers i did this and then got hit from behind , the rear one weighs 25 lbs with the foam.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by MaxPursuit
If you're really that serious you should probably drop the AC. You'll be hotter but lighter.
Does anyone have info on total weght of AC and how you do the belt after its off. I think papasmurfmax did this?
Old 06-21-2003, 10:27 AM
SLOW

all that you listed here is an exercise in futility. Every single thing added together that you posted probably would amount to 30lbs. Or you can get some wheels and a cf hood and a lightweight race battery and drop about 70lbs. not to mention all that crap will make your car totally unbearable to drive or ride in. btw those brake shields weigh about 1 lb a piece.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Banned

Here is what I have done, last weighin I was at 2750.

Everything in the trunk
Sound deadening under carpet
Tie down hooks under car
Seats $125 for both with covers and weigh around 11 lbs each
Battery, 400 cca from a starter assist pack, 11 lbs
Front and rear bumper supports
K1 15x7 with slick on front
Millenia 15x6 with 195x75x15's on rear pumped to 65 psi
Take a pee and a crap before you race and don't put your full weight down on the seat.

Planning on taking off the dust shields for the brakes next week.

Also going to take the 97 SE to the scales this week to see what it is in comparison.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:17 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Jime
Here is what I have done, last weighin I was at 2750.

Everything in the trunk
Sound deadening under carpet
Tie down hooks under car
Seats $125 for both with covers and weigh around 11 lbs each
Battery, 400 cca from a starter assist pack, 11 lbs
Front and rear bumper supports
K1 15x7 with slick on front
Millenia 15x6 with 195x75x15's on rear pumped to 65 psi
Take a pee and a crap before you race and don't put your full weight down on the seat.

Planning on taking off the dust shields for the brakes next week.

Also going to take the 97 SE to the scales this week to see what it is in comparison.
Is 2750 with or without you in the car? I'm assuming without. I was down to 2760 with 1/4 tank, CF hood, Koseis in back and millenia wheels up front, and passenger, crap in trunk, and rear bench removed. Your car starts out heavier though because the auto trans by what, like 25 or 50lbs. My car has gotten alot fatter now though, the brakes are heavier and my CF hood is no more.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:28 PM

its without him in the car....says in the timeslip forum i think

i think i am going to pretty much nix this losing weight idea of mine and just fold my side view mirrors in. that should help. hehe.