4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

experienced help only please

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 12:08 PM

experienced help only please

I got a lil problem with the max, it seems to start whenever it wants too. Like sometimes i come out and it starts fine for a week or so then it will just not start at all for a few days or a few hours, then just crank up like nothing is wrong. When the cart does start it runs perfect and if i pop start it runs perfect too. Does anyone have a clue what this problem can be? Starter? Alarm? i am clueless and i am throwing no codes, someone get back to me please
Old 06-21-2003, 12:39 PM
¿Hablas Español?

What do you get when it won't start? Does it crank? Does it click? Does it do nothing?
Old 06-21-2003, 01:00 PM

it just clicks, no crank or nothing, just a click
Old 06-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Most likely you need a new starter. I have a 95 with about the same milage and I just had to replace the starter on mine. Mine would work intermintentlly then it just took a **** one day and I had to replace it been fine ever since.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by drjohnnyfever
Most likely you need a new starter. I have a 95 with about the same milage and I just had to replace the starter on mine. Mine would work intermintentlly then it just took a **** one day and I had to replace it been fine ever since.
Check the solenoid on the starter. The piece where the voltage comes in on. It has two wires connected to it. Check the wires for abuse and the voltage level coming to the starter.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:25 PM

thanks for the help fellas, im gonna try a new starter tomorrow, i had a feeling it could have been that. i went cheap and got the autozone lifetime ones, and this will be my 3rd one this year so far. if they werent free id be ****ed
Old 06-21-2003, 04:40 PM
My heroine

Originally posted by CitrusSpeed
thanks for the help fellas, im gonna try a new starter tomorrow, i had a feeling it could have been that. i went cheap and got the autozone lifetime ones, and this will be my 3rd one this year so far. if they werent free id be ****ed
3 starters this year already??.. dude.. it's june.. ever think it might be something causing the starter to fail?.. cause that's pretty f'ed up

wJ
Old 06-21-2003, 04:49 PM

now that i think about it this is my 2nd one this year, i had the 1st one go after about a year in march. a good buddy of mine is a commercial manager at autozone and he tells me all the time some of these lifetime warranty parts are not the best, sometimes they act like oem othertimes u get a bum one. i had the same thing happen with a fuel pump a while back, 1st one was garbage 2nd one has worked perfect
Old 06-21-2003, 04:52 PM
My heroine

Originally posted by CitrusSpeed
now that i think about it this is my 2nd one this year, i had the 1st one go after about a year in march. a good buddy of mine is a commercial manager at autozone and he tells me all the time some of these lifetime warranty parts are not the best, sometimes they act like oem othertimes u get a bum one. i had the same thing happen with a fuel pump a while back, 1st one was garbage 2nd one has worked perfect
ohh.. i was gonna say, 3 in six months is not so good.. hopefully this one was just a bad one then.. good luck
Old 06-21-2003, 05:07 PM

I had a very similar problem with my car for the longest time, mostly in summer months. I don't have one of these cars, but if the starter is near exhaust pipes or something, it can get hot and try to draw too much voltage. I never did figure mine out. Common to Subaru's anyway (I think Nissans/Subies share some parts?) is a failure with the contacts inside the starter. You can get the contacts pretty cheap (couple bucks) and take the starter apart and replace them yourself, never done this, but it sounds pretty straightforward. Definitely worth a try if your starter weren't under warranty. Good Luck

-Ryan
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
Old 06-22-2003, 09:20 PM

I had the same prob with a fuel pump on my mr2 and ya talkin a B%$#% to get to I went in montana in the middle of nowhere 400.00 later had a bad case of sun stroke and a factory fuel pump and a 100.00 hotel bill and a 150.00 towing bill considering it happened on a sat and there was only one shop in this podunc town....Went to the bar and picked up a real nice looking lady though, unfortunatly I was running a fever and couldnt complete the mission....so I guess the moral to this story is 650.00 is a lot to pay for a lifetime warranty......LOL