4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 se-l's??? have Limited Slip??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 07:02 AM

99 se-l's??? have Limited Slip??

I noticed something the other day that has me wondering if my car has LSD. At the track...I run the same times with intake and y-pipe that my friend in his 98 runs with intake, y-pipe, exhuast, udp, alum flywheel, act clutch. He said he gets mad wheel hop and torque steer when he drags...and yes he is a good shifter...shifts faster and better than me actually. He ran one 14.6....but after that stayed at 15.0x which is what I was at..........all night. The only difference is I have no torque steer or wheel hop...and only intake and y-pipe.
I took off from my neighboorhood the other day and left two marks??? I'm begining to think I have lsd. I also noticed at the track when I take off both the left and right wheel spin. So what do you guys think?? yes or no.....
Old 06-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Look on the plate in the engine bay on the passenger side. If it reads RS5F50V then you have a LSD. If not you have an open diff like the rest of us (which is probably the case).

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=LSD+plate
-hype
Old 06-25-2003, 07:51 AM

Re: 99 se-l's??? have Limited Slip??

At the track, with a nice smooth surface your car may spin both wheels even with an open diff. Remember, you'll only spin one wheel if you're on an uneven surface or something similar. If both wheels have equal traction, then you just may spin both.

Originally posted by infinitiblast
I noticed something the other day that has me wondering if my car has LSD. At the track...I run the same times with intake and y-pipe that my friend in his 98 runs with intake, y-pipe, exhuast, udp, alum flywheel, act clutch. He said he gets mad wheel hop and torque steer when he drags...and yes he is a good shifter...shifts faster and better than me actually. He ran one 14.6....but after that stayed at 15.0x which is what I was at..........all night. The only difference is I have no torque steer or wheel hop...and only intake and y-pipe.
I took off from my neighboorhood the other day and left two marks??? I'm begining to think I have lsd. I also noticed at the track when I take off both the left and right wheel spin. So what do you guys think?? yes or no.....
Old 06-25-2003, 07:57 AM
I am Roid Rage

One-wheel-peel in my SE-L. No limited slip diffy here.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:06 AM

Re: Re: 99 se-l's??? have Limited Slip??

So what your saying is if I have open dif...........I need to get your LSD??

Originally posted by Shadow
At the track, with a nice smooth surface your car may spin both wheels even with an open diff. Remember, you'll only spin one wheel if you're on an uneven surface or something similar. If both wheels have equal traction, then you just may spin both.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:09 AM
I'm so hood

He said he gets mad wheel hop and torque steer when he drags...and yes he is a good shifter...shifts faster and better than me actually.
apparently he isn't as good at launching as he is shifting

His ACT grabs harder than your stock clutch. Also note what different tires can do. Maybe he should lay off the aggressiveness on his launches and slip it a little more...

but check the plate as vyrus suggested too.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: 99 se-l's??? have Limited Slip??

Haha, yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Everyone should get my LSD.

Seriously though, I think they only real ways to tell if you have an open diff are to check the code like xHypex says, or to jack up the front of your car and spin the wheels to see.

So what your saying is if I have open dif...........I need to get your LSD??

Old 06-25-2003, 08:26 AM

Welps I just checked and I have ............................. an open diff...Thats just odd I have no torque steer and wheel hop like he does...perhaps..........I need to check teh tranny guess it could have been replaced for all I know.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Tires will make a difference in how your car Torque steers.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 99 se-l's??? have Limited Slip??

Originally posted by blizz20oma
but check the plate as vyrus suggested too.
Vyrus

Haha, yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Everyone should get my LSD.
Shadow, isn't your LSD auto only?

Thats just odd I have no torque steer and wheel hop like he does...perhaps..........I need to check teh tranny guess it could have been replaced for all I know.
You didn't list any suspension mods for your friend, and he has a lot more power mods. If he has stock suspension with the extra power I'm not surprised he gets wheel hop and torque steer. As for the tranny being replaced you can look on the tranny for a plate with a code as well.
-hype
Old 06-25-2003, 09:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 99 se-l's??? have Limited Slip??

It was at first, but we've been making the 5 spd. ones for some time now. They actually outsell the auto ones. I just don't advertise them much, a couple of prominent members here already have them, and will be posting reviews in the near future.

Originally posted by xHypex

-hype
Old 06-25-2003, 09:33 AM

ATB, helical, viscous Do tell
-hype
Old 06-25-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm so hood

haha, whoops. I guess my mind had you figured for a 'vyrus' kinda guy today.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:58 AM

Same design as our auto ones. Clutch type, we take the OE core, and replace all the stuff inside with our internals. And everything is cryo treated for durability. That's why we offer a lifetime warranty. So far we haven't had a Nissan one fail yet, knock on wood.

Basic functionality idea is that the wheels are locked until you enter a turn and enough torque is transferred to slip the clutch packs allowing limited slip. Not quite as fancy as the Quaife where the gears transfer torque instead of sensing slippage, but it works quite well.

ATB, helical, viscous Do tell
-hype
Old 06-25-2003, 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 99 se-l's??? have Limited Slip??

Actually I'm b&g lowered stock shocks...he is eibach lowered with koni adjustables. He was running hardest setting in the rear and softest up front..........during the drag sessions.

Vyrus

You didn't list any suspension mods for your friend, and he has a lot more power mods. If he has stock suspension with the extra power I'm not surprised he gets wheel hop and torque steer. As for the tranny being replaced you can look on the tranny for a plate with a code as well.
-hype
Old 06-25-2003, 11:00 AM

Shadow that sounds like a good product...how much downtime does this involve?? Do you provide install as well?

Same design as our auto ones. Clutch type, we take the OE core, and replace all the stuff inside with our internals. And everything is cryo treated for durability. That's why we offer a lifetime warranty. So far we haven't had a Nissan one fail yet, knock on wood.

Basic functionality idea is that the wheels are locked until you enter a turn and enough torque is transferred to slip the clutch packs allowing limited slip. Not quite as fancy as the Quaife where the gears transfer torque instead of sensing slippage, but it works quite well.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:09 AM

Well, we have the cores here, so there isn't much downtime. We send you the LSD, you install it or a shop does, you send your old diff back. Install takes 8-10 hours or so at a shop.

We don't typically install the LSD's, we just make them. But we do offer installs at one of our partner shops for a discounted price if you're here in Atlanta.

Shadow that sounds like a good product...how much downtime does this involve?? Do you provide install as well?