4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can i make my auto shift w/ buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Can i make my auto shift w/ buttons?

Is there any way i can wire up some buttons/swithes so when im in drive i can select the gear? Some one else is making up a huge tiptronic setup, but i just want 4 buttons to select each gear and one to select drive. I want the buttons to be like the climate control where you hit one button and the other pops out shutting off the other setting. Anyone catching my drift? Its probly a waste of time but its just a question.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

no, you're right, it is a waste of time.

IS shifting the lever too much work?

Also, realize that your auto is a 4-speed, not a 5-speed, and that O/D is your 4th gear.
For this idea to be realistic, your shifter would have to be pretty big, considering the amount of wiring (i'm assuming you'd want the thing lighted, too) and the size of the buttons....."But i'd make the buttons real small"....right, and then accidentily push the button for 2nd gear when you're going into 4th at 100+ MPH.

If you want to shift, buy a 5-speed. Or convert. Otherwise, do it the lame way all us other auto owners do, or just enjoy the auto for what it is.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:54 PM

im almost positive there used to be a car that utalized a button system to shift, back in the 50s or 60s. i dont know the name but my dad probably knows if you want to find it.

you dont see them around because it was generally a bad idea/novelty
Old 06-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BadKarma99-4spd
im almost positive there used to be a car that utalized a button system to shift, back in the 50s or 60s. i dont know the name but my dad probably knows if you want to find it.

Early 60'2 Dodge Dart, had this set up it was push button shifting. I believe it was on the left side of the steering wheel on the dash.

It probably would be a waste of time but hey it would be different!
Old 06-25-2003, 03:41 PM

Make a panel of lighted do nothing numbered buttons, then you can pretend that they shift the tranny,,a conversation piece....ahem
Old 06-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I do know that it was the creator of the first Hurst Oldsmobile (Cutlass) that created the manual shift tranny. It seems that the German's have stolen an American innovation.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by fearthegecko

Also, realize that your auto is a 4-speed, not a 5-speed, and that O/D is your 4th gear.
For this idea to be realistic, your shifter would have to be pretty big, considering the amount of wiring (i'm assuming you'd want the thing lighted, too) and the size of the buttons....."But i'd make the buttons real small"....right, and then accidentily push the button for 2nd gear when you're going into 4th at 100+ MPH.

If you want to shift, buy a 5-speed. Or convert. Otherwise, do it the lame way all us other auto owners do, or just enjoy the auto for what it is.
If you have carpal tunnel syndrome, it could be....errrr
Old 06-25-2003, 06:59 PM
pMB

what an idea!

how come it never hit me this way?
you are a genius.

This mod will cost under $40, and I can even put different color bulbs for each gear!

and since my shifts automatically anyway, what's the difference if the buttons actually work or not. absolutely no diff.

This is gonna be the homemade tiptronic mod for my max
thanks for the idea, philly96max

Originally posted by philly96maxima
Make a panel of lighted do nothing numbered buttons, then you can pretend that they shift the tranny,,a conversation piece....ahem
Old 06-25-2003, 08:48 PM

Re: what an idea!

Originally posted by pMB
you are a genius.

This mod will cost under $40, and I can even put different color bulbs for each gear!

and since my shifts automatically anyway, what's the difference if the buttons actually work or not. absolutely no diff.

thats a great idea, you should strobe the overdrive gear light
Old 06-26-2003, 05:08 AM

Re: what an idea!

Originally posted by pMB
you are a genius.

HAHA Guy if you do this, let me know how it turns out!!a picture and schematic, my wife has a dodge with the push buttons on the dash...its still parked in the garage for 30 years....any way she always talks about her car with the push button shifter!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 05:19 AM
Ludicrous Speed

hmm... you can wire something that'll only let you shift to either the gear before or the gear after... ???

I'd rename O/D to Afterburn...

And use a joystick for a steering wheel

ok ok ok, it was a nice try for an idea... but think about having to go all the way to the climate control area to shift. I like laying back in my seat and cruisin low..

Either way, the shifts are not going to be instantaneous like a manual tranny.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:36 AM

I was in my friends GS400 and his has button shifting for the auto on the steering wheel... So I'm sure there's a way for the max
Old 06-26-2003, 06:00 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

i30krab has a custom pushbutton shift controller on his I30.

It was designed and built by Level 10, I believe.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:05 AM
CaLSoNiC

**** push button get paddle shifters! You know like Rally cars have. Pull in up gear, pushout down gear.

Old 06-26-2003, 06:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg
i30krab has a custom pushbutton shift controller on his I30.

It was designed and built by Level 10, I believe.

Ben you are correct:

http://www.levelten.com/store/import...shiftronic.htm
Old 06-26-2003, 06:44 AM
Ludicrous Speed

pretty f-in neat.... Not as expensive as I thought. Would the VB mod be necessary with that device?

Nissan has a thingamadoodad that might be able to d the shifting thing by plugging it into something in the fuse box... my friend at the dealer balanced my cylinders and erased the ecu's learned info with that thing... he also had a kick controlling the windows, wipers and junk, and revving the engine all out of that device...

after that remote car in OT, I'm getting ideas ... hmmm...
Old 06-26-2003, 11:15 AM

Old 06-26-2003, 02:24 PM

Nissan has a thingamadoodad that might be able to d the shifting thing by plugging it into something in the fuse box... my friend at the dealer balanced my cylinders and erased the ecu's learned info with that thing... he also had a kick controlling the windows, wipers and junk, and revving the engine all out of that device...
really now, does no one know how thier car works? That "thingamadoodad" was either the OBDII connector, or the connector for nissan's scan tool.

I was in my friends GS400 and his has button shifting for the auto on the steering wheel... So I'm sure there's a way for the max
the Lexus has the sporttronic/e-tronic/tiptronic transmission, so does the new grand prixs. It's a lame way for an auto to imitate higher end cars, such as the ferrari 360 modenas (and spiders) and professional indy cars. The thing is though, it's still an automatic transmission. On the IS300s (a friend of mine has one) the car will still shift by itself if you take it to redline. The tranny computer will realize that there will be damage to the engine, so it shifts before damage can occur.

The idea is cool, yes. But money-wise, there's other mods that will help out first.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:35 PM
silver99

alot of newer cars are coming with it. i just talked to someone from germany and he said it was popular.

Old 06-26-2003, 03:36 PM
silver99

Originally posted by fearthegecko

helloooo MR NEGATIVE. my name is ....

Old 06-26-2003, 03:53 PM

Slim Shady!!!!!! lol
Old 06-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by silver99

Some people just like taking things very seriously i guess
Old 06-26-2003, 11:18 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally posted by Nbtthegreat
Yeah thats it thanks!
Old 06-27-2003, 06:10 AM

This could be my answer to driving in snow and ice.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by silver99

not negative, just realistic.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:47 PM
† ErV †

i've seen so many buses with this feature so that should not be a problem on a car either. in basic setup you can attach a motor/servo to the transmission shift lever (unsure of proper name, its the little part that is attached to the cable down at the transmission and moves when you pull the lever inside the car), and then hook the motor to some buttons and a controller. by pressing the button the motor spins in the desired direction for x duration/rotations and effectively shifts the transmission. you dont actually change anything to the way the tranny shifts, you just get rid of the unsightly lever. the trick is getting it all working right.

unless i am wrong the whole set up can be bought from most places that sell robot parts, like the ones you see on robot wars etc.

Old 06-27-2003, 04:58 PM
Ludicrous Speed

it sure does look like robot parts
Old 07-01-2003, 10:58 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

u could call it "The Robo-Matic"