4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone with a 99.5+ Max? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 05:21 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Anyone with a 99.5+ Max? Help!

Here is what I can tell you for certain:

Ram-air intake has been installed for 1 1/2 weeks.
Gas Mileage, which was already not too good (300 miles/tank for 80%city 20% highway driving, occasional racing red light to red light )
is now a bit worse (280 miles/tank, same conditions) I would have figured the ECU would have adjusted to the increased air flow by now. However, I am on my second tank with the intake and mileage is looking to be about the same horrible 280 miles/tank. I DO get hesitation.

Among my recent codes:
right front heated O2 sensor which I cleared (has not appeared again)
Cylinder 6 misfire (cleared, has not appeared again)
14 06 (Undefined)
Knock sensor

All the above codes have been cleared.

Betond that, there is definetly something in my engine bay not shown in any of the Haynes manuals, (or in any of your own pics of your own engine bays, for that matter, including the motorvate.ca write-up) Again, it is a small, tennis ball-sized object connected to a mechanism which moves a lot like the trottle opener under the hood. It's definitely there, and I haven't seen it on any of you guys' photos. It blocks my view of the knock sensor, and all physical access (Unless you have a pipe cleaner and are satisfied with touching something you can't see). I'm loooking for someone with a 99.5+ Max- they may know what I'm talking about.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:03 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

That object your looking at is part of the Swich Valves in your intake manifold. The vacuum actuator and linkage sits beside the intake. No other 4th gen has this setup. They operate when the car is cold by closing slightly to create more turbulance inside the intake manifold which is to help stir up and mix the richer air/fuel intake for better burn. We also have more o2 sensors and a different ECU then other 99 models.

It does completely block the KS even from view. I'm sure it's going to be a nightmare getting that sucker changed when and if it ever fails.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
That object your looking at is part of the Swich Valves in your intake manifold. The vacuum actuator and linkage sits beside the intake. No other 4th gen has this setup. They operate when the car is cold by closing slightly to create more turbulance inside the intake manifold which is to help stir up and mix the richer air/fuel intake for better burn. We also have more o2 sensors and a different ECU then other 99 models.

It does completely block the KS even from view. I'm sure it's going to be a nightmare getting that sucker changed when and if it ever fails.
Can that switch valve go bad? If it gets stuck (on), will it cause me to lose power when it's hot because it's making the air more turbulent? I'm losing power and can't figure out why. Maybe that's it.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:41 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

They open up after your car is all warmed up. You'd get a CEL light if the system failed.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:35 AM

Try to go through the install again and check all the hoses. Use the process of elimation, and you'll find the problem. When was your last tune up?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

JerseyMax, thanks for your help. Any ideas on how to remove and replace the switch valves/vacuum actuator/linkage?