4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil-soaked spark plug!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 01:20 PM

Oil-soaked spark plug!

I was checking the plugs on my car today. I finished checking the front ones (under the plastic facia), all is good! I proceeded checking the rear ones (next to the firewall). The first one is good too but the second (middle, #3) one is soaked in oil! The rubber end of the coil pack has a nice crack in it also. I couldn't check the last one (#5) because the spark plug coil screws won't come off with a regular screw driver and I don't have an 8mm socket to get to it. All plugs are Bosch Platinum except for the one that is soak in oil. It's a Champion plug which I'm not sure why its there. I have a feeling that I might be looking at a valve seal or piston ring job. What do you all think? I am not too crazy about doing this myself especially since I don't have all the tools necessary for an engine job. Has anyone had similar thing done to their engine and how much did it cost? I'm also going to check with my friend's mechanic to find out.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Was the outside of the plug wet or the firing tip? Most likely the oil is only on the outside of the plug which means your valve cover seal is leaking. Very easy to replace and it's cheap too.

P.S. - Put the Champion plug back in your lawn mower and get a new NGK in there.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:24 PM

I went all over town looking for the NGK V-power plugs but noone has them on stock. And it would take a week to get them in and one of them told me that they are $18 each. Is it even legal to charge that much for one spark plug??? Anyhow, I ended up getting the OEM plugs, Denso's, not sure if they are Platinum because the box doesn't say anything. Suprisingly, it costs the same as the Bosch Platinum-4 plugs, $5 each. But I didn't get the Bosch because of everyones' experience about them here. I'm sure Denso is still better than Bosch since this is the manufacturer-brand used by Japanese car makers.

njmaxseltd, when I pulled the plug out, the oil was mostly around the threaded area, not sure if this is the outside of the plug. I would think that the outside of the plug is where the rubber end of the coil goes in on to connect to the non-firing side of plug.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:37 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sounds like it was your valve cover leaking. When you unscrew the plug, the oil that was laying in the plug hole naturally falls down the threads and into your cylinder as you pull the plug out. It just got burnt up when you started your car. The valve cover gasket kit comes with the 6 seals for the spark plug holes. It's probaby a good idea to change it when you've got some free time.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:44 PM

Is there a write on replacing the valve cover gasket? Can this be done by a DIY? Any details will be appreciated, thanks again for replying to me.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by 2DaMax
I went all over town looking for the NGK V-power plugs but noone has them on stock. And it would take a week to get them in and one of them told me that they are $18 each. Is it even legal to charge that much for one spark plug???
Unless you live in the communist country, it is perfectly legal. But in the same communist country you won't be able to afford a Maxima.

You can use BKR5E-11 (resistor type) instead of PFR5G-11.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:41 PM

Fo sho 95gxe_vl! Well, as I was letting my car cool down this afternoon so that I can replace the plugs, I called this Checkers store downtown, a little too far away for me to drive for spark plugs but I figured that since I'm doing this now, I might as well get the right thing. Turns out that they have plenty of the NGK V-power BKR5E-11 and they are only $2 a piece...WOW! I was surprised at this, since I paid $5 each for the Denso ones. I returned the Denso and got the NGK and ended up saving $20. I just finished putting them in, just got totally dark now. I've yet to test drive my car. The car did seem to idle a lot better, smoother. Now all I got to worry about is the leaking valve cover seal.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The ones you bought are cheap because they are not platinums. The valve cover gasket for the rear bank is a little bit difficult to get at because you have to remove the upper intake manifold.

Fo sho 95gxe_vl! Well, as I was letting my car cool down this afternoon so that I can replace the plugs, I called this Checkers store downtown, a little too far away for me to drive for spark plugs but I figured that since I'm doing this now, I might as well get the right thing. Turns out that they have plenty of the NGK V-power BKR5E-11 and they are only $2 a piece...WOW! I was surprised at this, since I paid $5 each for the Denso ones. I returned the Denso and got the NGK and ended up saving $20. I just finished putting them in, just got totally dark now. I've yet to test drive my car. The car did seem to idle a lot better, smoother. Now all I got to worry about is the leaking valve cover seal.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:26 PM

I know, they are not platinum. But that's ok with me for now. Why waste platinums when I have an oil leak right now.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:16 PM

I went to a mechanic today to find out how much it would cost me to pay someone else to replace the valve cover gaskets. His estimate is $400! Does this sound reasonable?
Old 07-03-2003, 06:57 PM

Well just in case anyone is remotely interested as this thing developes. I went to a Nissan dealer in town and got an estimate of $300 to replace the valve cover gaskets...both front and rear!!! That's even better than the mechanic's price down the street and its a dealer. This is the first time that a dealer's labor price is actually lower than others. I'm taking mine in next weekend.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:44 PM

it sounds like you only need the rear changed
Old 07-03-2003, 09:12 PM

Realistically yes, but I might as well have the front ones done too and not worry about it anymore.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:40 PM

I went to a mechanic today to find out how much it would cost me to pay someone else to replace the valve cover gaskets. His estimate is $400! Does this sound reasonable?
you guys are gonna hate me but i had my nissan mechanic do a side job for me and he charged me 50 bucks labor plus parts and parts came to a little over 20 bucks.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:47 PM

Well I won't hate you if you can get that guy to drive all the way to Las Vegas so he can do it for me too.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:53 PM

Well I won't hate you if you can get that guy to drive all the way to Las Vegas so he can do it for me too.
i live in CT so its a bit far for him... you should move