4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

front squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:15 PM

front squeaking noise

It started out as a squeak that only happened while turning left, or, even on the highway on a long sweeping left. now it happens going over a bump and even worse while turning left. it's a high pitched metal/metal kind of squeak. mouse like, in fact. what makes it worse is that i suspect a compund noise from the front where turning the wheel also produces a kind of clicking noise. but mostly the squeak from bumps. the squeaking has gotten worse and, frankly, it's starting to drive me up the wall. shortly after hearing the sound at the begining, i took the car to infiniti and the mechanic who came for a ride along said it could be anything. so that was pretty frustrating.

Just recently (about 2months later) i took it to another shop and the mechanic who came and was test driving while listening to the squeak deduced that it was something loose in the dash board. He took a brief look at the cv boots and said they were ok. my feelings disagree with this diagnosis as the noise is loud, but doesn't sound like from in the dashboard. is this a suspension thing? a dashboard thing?

Another little piece of history that may or may not shed some light is that after i had noticed the squeak a little i had an incident where i discovered first-hand the dangers of accidently getting armorall type interior polish on the steering wheel. i was moving right to get a round a car that was turning left, when my hands slipped on the wheel and curbed the right front tire hard enough to dent my rim and throw my alignment out of whack. since then the squeaking has gotten worse. the noise doesn't seem to be speed/acceleration dependant.

i'm still riding stock springs and struts - it's about time to change so i'm thinking that it might alleviate the problem just in changing those. any advice there on what else to change while i'm in there? what is a good setup - i'm looking for a similar, albeit lower ride, to stock with a little more firmness ok.

any help is greatly appreciated.

cheers,

niv
Old 07-03-2003, 02:03 AM

hey buddy, my car was doing the same thing a few months back, a grinding squeeking noise while turning left. i replaced both cv joints b/c the driver side boot was torn. i thought problem was fixed but upon driving. no change. i ended up having to pull wheel bearing and replace. fixed my problem.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:11 PM

wheel bearing eh? hmm i'll have to check that out. thanks for the tip
Old 07-03-2003, 10:05 PM

good luck.