4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how about "assisted air" for JWT/Stillen cone intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 09:49 AM

how about "assisted air" for JWT/Stillen cone intake?

hey all --

there are a bunch of threads out there about air intakes, and i have read the remarks about the JWT/Stillen intake taking in hot air from the engine bay, which is less desirable than taking in cold air from outside the car.

sure enough, i put one of those wired thermometers inside the cone filter, and watched the temperature while i was driving. this morning, it was probably around 78 degrees outside, but the air going into the engine was much hotter. at a stoplight, the temperature would go to the 120s, and i didnt see any signifigant temperature drop until i was cruising on the highway (70-85mph), when the temperature came down to around 84 degrees. even in city traffic, say 45mph, the temperature would still be around 110. has anyone else tried to measure the air temperature entering the engine? is this similar to what you are seeing?

my cone filter sits on the bottom half of the stock airbox, and i still have the stock tubing that connects from the front to it. i do notice that the bottom part of the cone intake is the part that gets dirtiest, so i am guessing that most of the air intake is probably coming thru the snake, with any remaining air that can get sucked in from the engine bay. most of my driving is highway driving, so at that speed, there might be signifigant air being forced thru the stock tubing?

but it looks like at low speeds, even at 45mph, and definitely when stopped at a light, the cone intake is taking in very hot air.

so i am thinking that i can put a fan at the hole where the bottom stock airbox and the stock intake tubing connect, and have it running to pull outside air into the area where the cone filter is. if the fan can pull enough outside air into the area where the cone filter is (positive pressure), then the intake will not be taking in the hot air from the engine bay.

this way, at a stoplight, and a low speeds, the intake can get the cooler outside air, and at higher speeds, it wouldnt matter, because the air would naturally be forced in.

what do you think? it was just a thought that i had and i would appreciate any comments and suggestions. most of the other setups (like the CAI) have routed plumbing to get the cooler outside air, but our cone filter is pretty far in, and close to the engine, so we need to bring the cooler outside air to the filter by other means -- it seems to be well enought when the car is moving 75mph. maybe it could be as simple as one of those computer case fans to help draw the outside air to the cone filter area....

it would be easy enough to try out and test, and i will, but it will be the weekend before i have time.

tommy
Old 06-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A computer case fan wouldn't do much, if anything at all...except in theory. You'd need a much more powerful fan/blower to get it to work. A very large boat "blower" might work, but the power it would sap from the alternator would probably negate any gains from getting the cooler air. Also, my '99 Max has a built in air intake thermometer, and I've taken readings off that with my Injen CAI and the temperature definitely goes up quickly while idling and takes more than a few miles to get back down to near ambiant while cruising. Has anyone built a scoop for CAI's that comes in under the bumper?...might work with some ducting for HAI's too.