4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 07:11 AM

Brake Issues

For about a 2 months, my brakes ( I think it's the front ones)have been squeaking on and off. It has recently progressed into a more frequent squeak and when riding around town, pulling up to red lights, its embarrasing. I went to strauss auto last night but it was too late for them to check it out, so I am returning today. when i went home, I looked through the rim spokes and I noticed on the rear pads, they don't seem to be wearing down evenly, as in they are wearing down on a slant- the strangest part about it is, the point where the pad hits the disc is the fat part of the slant! very strange. I am assuming this is causing a decrease in braking power. On the front ones, I can't even see the pad through the rim- Shouldn't I be able to? Could it be that the pad is practically non existant? Or maybe its just the angle on the front wheel that keeps me from seeing it as eary as the rear wheel. Now, if i need new pads whats the most I should pay for parts and labor- Semi matalic the guy said- right? By the way- what could cause brake pads to wear down so strangly?
Old 07-02-2003, 07:21 AM

Re: Brake Issues

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan
For about a 2 months, my brakes ( I think it's the front ones)have been squeaking on and off. It has recently progressed into a more frequent squeak and when riding around town, pulling up to red lights, its embarrasing. I went to strauss auto last night but it was too late for them to check it out, so I am returning today. when i went home, I looked through the rim spokes and I noticed on the rear pads, they don't seem to be wearing down evenly, as in they are wearing down on a slant- the strangest part about it is, the point where the pad hits the disc is the thin part of the slant! very strange. I am assuming this is causing a decrease in braking power. On the front ones, I can't even see the pad through the rim- Shouldn't I be able to? Could it be that the pad is practically non existant? Or maybe its just the angle on the front wheel that keeps me from seeing it as eary as the rear wheel. Now, if i need new pads whats the most I should pay for parts and labor- Semi matalic the guy said- right? By the way- what could cause brake pads to wear down so strangly?
Well I think it makes sense that where it is touching is the thin part, because the pressure is probably stronger for some reason on that part of the pad, and has caused it to wear faster.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:29 AM

sorry- i meant to say the fat part- I edited the original post.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:53 AM

hey wow, my 95 does that too, except mine is more of like a grinding noise, usually when I apply the brakes, when I'm pulling away from a light slowly, and/or when I'm backing out the driveway. Yeah, I seriously think I should go have it checked out and replace them soon since this car will be going to my mother when I'm off at college in Sept. Anyone have any suggestions for rotors and brake pads (my rotors are all rusted, might as well change them too) brands? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My back brakes started squeeking and with 66k miles, I think they need replacing. I replaced the front brakes and I was wondering how difficult the back brakes are to replace? Has anyone had issues with replacing the back??? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have that problem at 45K

Originally posted by maxima_million
My back brakes started squeeking and with 66k miles, I think they need replacing. I replaced the front brakes and I was wondering how difficult the back brakes are to replace? Has anyone had issues with replacing the back??? Thanks!
I had a very similar problem a few months ago on my 99. I turned out my rear calipers were toast. They were hanging up the pads on the rotors and causing some strange pre-mature wear. I had to replace the calipers and that solved the problem....not a fun process.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm noticing that I only have the sqeek when I break on the highways. I looked at the back brakes and they seem to have a lot of meat on them. I don't get any squeek when I break around town. It's strange. Anyone have a similar problem?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Watch out.. If you haven't changed your pads in a while, you could be hearing the wear indicator. The wear indicator is a piece of metal that will touch the disc if all of the pad in front of the indicator is gone.

ZuM
Old 07-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Brake Issues

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan
I looked through the rim spokes and I noticed on the rear pads, they don't seem to be wearing down evenly, as in they are wearing down on a slant- the strangest part about it is, the point where the pad hits the disc is the fat part of the slant!
You have a frozen guide pin. Very easy to fix, just remove them, clean and regrease them. Nissan sells a shim kit that comes with all new hardware, anti-squeal goo and high temp grease for the guide pins. The kit is like 20 bucks and is well worth it.

Pick up some new pads and the kit from Nissan. Disassemble your rear brakes completely. (not the caliper) Clean everything up and follow the directions that come with the shim kit so you put the lub and anti-squeal goo in the right places. Your brakes should be OK after that.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:26 PM

THANKS!