4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rode in a sprint/agx dropped 4th gen this weekend....impressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 07:42 PM
no more maxima...

Rode in a sprint/agx dropped 4th gen this weekend....impressed

I rode in my cousin's (rastamanmax) 4th gen that is dropped on Sprint springs and KYB AGX struts (set on 3 infront and 6 in back I believe) and I could not believe how smooth the ride was. It was not harsh at all, and felt almost like a BMW. I drove it too, and it took the corners extremely well, even on stock rubber. I must say, for people that say the sprints are harsh...well I do not think they know what harsh is. This setup is really smooth...and though it is not fully settled (he has had it on for about 2 weeks), it feels extremely good. He has me sold on these springs...the only thing I do not like is that the rear end seems a little higher than the front end...but hopefully they will settle out more.
Phil
Old 07-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Dev

sup Phil

i didn't know Lemar lowered his car yet...but i agree that sprints aren't as harsh as people make it seem...

my favourite springs are still eibach tho...they ride even more smoothly, give an even drop, and its lower than 1.5/1.3 like they say...because it does go lower than h&r's.

oh and about the back end being high...sprints are just like that for some reason...justin's car's like that too
Old 07-02-2003, 08:33 PM
no more maxima...

Yo Dev,
Yeah he lowered his car not too long ago...he keeps his info secret from the org these days . So there is no real chance it will even out eh? I wonder once I install my stereo equipment...about 100-150 lbs of it in the back, whether it will give it a nice even drop on sprints. I may still go Eihbach my self, after seeing them on one of those guys cars at the playdium meet (was it Dave?). I really want it as low as possible without the wheels cambered and to still ride good.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Dev

Originally posted by kingrukus
Yo Dev,
Yeah he lowered his car not too long ago...he keeps his info secret from the org these days . So there is no real chance it will even out eh? I wonder once I install my stereo equipment...about 100-150 lbs of it in the back, whether it will give it a nice even drop on sprints. I may still go Eihbach my self, after seeing them on one of those guys cars at the playdium meet (was it Dave?). I really want it as low as possible without the wheels cambered and to still ride good.
yeah Dave, Mark, and Dennis have eibachs...it gives a sweet drop

i helped Dennis install his, and when we went for a ride...it was pretty smooth, no complaints here.

check out Dennis' site for pics of his car dropped on eibach/agx...i think its a sick combo.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:45 PM
no more maxima...

Originally posted by Dev

yeah Dave, Mark, and Dennis have eibachs...it gives a sweet drop

i helped Dennis install his, and when we went for a ride...it was pretty smooth, no complaints here.

check out Dennis' site for pics of his car dropped on eibach/agx...i think its a sick combo.
Yeah his drop looks ill. What is the exact name of those eibachs (from what I understand there are different prokits, or something to that effect which makes it a little tricky).
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ya i went for a ride in imstockbaby's sprint/kyb agx droppped car and i think im sold on gettin that suspension setup.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

did you ride over some extreme bumpy roads?! or just average around town roads?!

I think my setup is pretty low for B+Gs seeing as i only have 2 finger gap up front, 1 finger gap in rear. Whats the finger gap on sprints?! opposite?!

Eric
Old 07-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Dev

Yeah his drop looks ill. What is the exact name of those eibachs (from what I understand there are different prokits, or something to that effect which makes it a little tricky).
i think Dennis has the "newer" gen 2 eibach's (prokit)

if you get new springs...those are the eibach's you'll get.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:32 AM

Re: Rode in a sprint/agx dropped 4th gen this weekend....impressed

I rode in my cousin's (rastamanmax) 4th gen that is dropped on Sprint springs and KYB AGX struts (set on 3 infront and 6 in back I believe) and I could not believe how smooth the ride was. It was not harsh at all, and felt almost like a BMW. I drove it too, and it took the corners extremely well, even on stock rubber. I must say, for people that say the sprints are harsh...well I do not think they know what harsh is. This setup is really smooth...and though it is not fully settled (he has had it on for about 2 weeks), it feels extremely good. He has me sold on these springs...the only thing I do not like is that the rear end seems a little higher than the front end...but hopefully they will settle out more.
Phil
I found out too, that 3 for the front is the best!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:37 AM
Ramius83

But is he using the stock tires/wheels? If so, that is why it was so smooth. The stock tires are absorbing the hits/bumps in the road. Try that same setup on some aftermarket 17-19 inch rims with some low profile High performance tires......It ain't too fun lol..

Also, if you are looking for high performance springs, then why are you liking the Sprints? They don't allow for any spring travel.....

Old 07-03-2003, 04:41 AM
no more maxima...

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
did you ride over some extreme bumpy roads?! or just average around town roads?!

I think my setup is pretty low for B+Gs seeing as i only have 2 finger gap up front, 1 finger gap in rear. Whats the finger gap on sprints?! opposite?!

Eric
It was average around town roads. Wow that is a low drop with your B&G's. The front of his car had a 2 finger gap, and the rear was more than 3 fingers. How does your B&G ride? The only reason preventing me from getting them is rumors of them sagging in the rear (and I do not want that especially because I will have a subwoofer enclosure in the trunk).
Old 07-03-2003, 04:44 AM
no more maxima...

Originally posted by Ramius83
But is he using the stock tires/wheels? If so, that is why it was so smooth. The stock tires are absorbing the hits/bumps in the road. Try that same setup on some aftermarket 17-19 inch rims with some low profile High performance tires......It ain't too fun lol..

Also, if you are looking for high performance springs, then why are you liking the Sprints? They don't allow for any spring travel.....
Correct he is using aftermarket tires/wheels. However I was just trying to say that sprints should not be talked about as being 'harsh' when used with just aftermarket struts alone. But I see your point with lower profile tires clearly (which he will be moving to soon with 18's). He went springs for its massive drop, and because it still made the car feel far better than stock. I hear that Eibach however is the best for handling.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:23 AM

It was average around town roads. Wow that is a low drop with your B&G's. The front of his car had a 2 finger gap, and the rear was more than 3 fingers. How does your B&G ride? The only reason preventing me from getting them is rumors of them sagging in the rear (and I do not want that especially because I will have a subwoofer enclosure in the trunk).

Well that sag is with my subs in back. Im sure the sag would be non-existent without subs. I plan on cutting a front coil sometime. The ride is great actually. Its not harsh around town, gets a tick bouncy on rough roads but i am still on stock struts. All in all, i would highly recommend them.

Also, about the finger gap, if it matters im running on oversized 225-55/16s, so it fills some gap up...

Eric
Old 07-03-2003, 03:31 PM

I actually like sprints/agx... best combo i ever drove in... very nice!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:18 PM

been there , done that

sure they ride nice , but after few months you will experience drastic decrease in ride quality, and fianlly you won't be able to take it anymore and eventually you will switch to H&R's

Nick.

Sprints ride great only when they are new and combined with "brand new KYB AGX's "
Old 07-04-2003, 01:26 PM
no more maxima...

Re: been there , done that

Originally posted by nick
sure they ride nice , but after few months you will experience drastic decrease in ride quality, and fianlly you won't be able to take it anymore and eventually you will switch to H&R's

Nick.

Sprints ride great only when they are new and combined with "brand new KYB AGX's "
Are you serious? What is the regular life for Sprint springs and AGX's?
Old 07-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Rode in a sprint/agx dropped 4th gen this weekend....impressed

Phil
ehhh, i have same setup and my ride is not smooth at all, well it is until it hits a bump then i'm flying everywhere, but u right about cornering, i take any and all turns like a champ!
Old 07-04-2003, 01:44 PM

1 year at the most...

I had the same set up , than I sold Sprints , and got H&R's , now I'm geting rid of front KYB AGX for some brand new Tokico blues or KYB GR2 - i'm not sure which strut will give me softer ride yet , but eventually i will come back to stock springs and some medium struts.

take my word for it - they only ride good for few months !!!!
after i installed my brand new KYB AGX and brand new Sprints I loved the ride so much that I put 45K on the car in 12 months.
than the ride become very intorelable - especially when going over those highway joint extensions - the whole front of the car jilted and crashed with terrible sound , and it made every piece of plastic on my dashboard squick and rattle like crazy

Nick
Old 07-04-2003, 03:35 PM

Re: Re: Rode in a sprint/agx dropped 4th gen this weekend....impressed

Originally posted by meccanoble

ehhh, i have same setup and my ride is not smooth at all, well it is until it hits a bump then i'm flying everywhere, but u right about cornering, i take any and all turns like a champ!

...but with Maxspeed springs.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by ZeRo MaX
I actually like sprints/agx... best combo i ever drove in... very nice!
Old 07-04-2003, 05:57 PM
no more maxima...

Re: 1 year at the most...

I haven't heard this before...do other people experience the same thing? Would you blame this on the soft, rash drop of the sprints, or is it both a AGX and sprint problem? I am wondering if I go with the Eibachs that I may have far better longevity with both the struts and springs.
I had the same set up , than I sold Sprints , and got H&R's , now I'm geting rid of front KYB AGX for some brand new Tokico blues or KYB GR2 - i'm not sure which strut will give me softer ride yet , but eventually i will come back to stock springs and some medium struts.

take my word for it - they only ride good for few months !!!!
after i installed my brand new KYB AGX and brand new Sprints I loved the ride so much that I put 45K on the car in 12 months.
than the ride become very intorelable - especially when going over those highway joint extensions - the whole front of the car jilted and crashed with terrible sound , and it made every piece of plastic on my dashboard squick and rattle like crazy

Nick
Old 07-05-2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Dev
sup Phil

i didn't know Lemar lowered his car yet...but i agree that sprints aren't as harsh as people make it seem...

my favourite springs are still eibach tho...they ride even more smoothly, give an even drop, and its lower than 1.5/1.3 like they say...because it does go lower than h&r's.

oh and about the back end being high...sprints are just like that for some reason...justin's car's like that too
Oh man, doesn't anybody ever read the sig
Old 07-05-2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by MaxiPad96

you must have fat fingers.. fatty

hmmmm, i have something fat for you, and it aint my finger...suck on that...

Eric
Old 07-05-2003, 10:57 PM

So please explain to me how B+Gs are ebay/flea market springs...Im dying to hear this one MaxiPad...

Eric
Old 07-05-2003, 11:31 PM

what about stock springs and KYB AGX? does KYB AGX blows out in about one year?
Old 07-05-2003, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by joew
what about stock springs and KYB AGX? does KYB AGX blows out in about one year?
no the AGX's are much better than stock struts.. they'll give u a firmer ride too
Old 07-06-2003, 10:11 PM

thanks.

Originally posted by spiff56747

no the AGX's are much better than stock struts.. they'll give u a firmer ride too
Old 07-06-2003, 10:17 PM

Re: been there , done that

Nick.

I disagree I've had sprints installed over stock struts for over a year, and the ride quality has been the same since day one. Also I have taken a ride, in another Maxima, with sprints and Konis and the car felt like it was on rails, also it was smoother than mine. So I don't know WTF your are talking about.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:06 PM

Re: Re: been there , done that

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX

I disagree I've had sprints installed over stock struts for over a year, and the ride quality has been the same since day one. Also I have taken a ride, in another Maxima, with sprints and Konis and the car felt like it was on rails, also it was smoother than mine. So I don't know WTF your are talking about.
you just answered it for yourself- " it was smoother than mine "

sprints -
Old 07-07-2003, 12:16 PM

sprtints suck - proof

took mine out , way before they got to this stage:

good luck !!!!!

Nick
Old 07-07-2003, 12:18 PM

another one...

Old 07-07-2003, 12:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1FSTMAX
[B]

I've had sprints installed over stock struts for over a year

Old 07-07-2003, 12:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: been there , done that

you just answered it for yourself- " it was smoother than mine "

sprints -
It was smoother than his probably cuz he has aftermarket shocks, but he had sprints too. So how can you conclude that he answered his own question? Common sense>you.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1FSTMAX
[B]

I've had sprints installed over stock struts for over a year

ENOUGH SAID !!!!!!

Old 07-07-2003, 02:28 PM

Who said that it's a must to change your struts when you swap in lowering springs? My OEM struts are not leaking or blown. My car doesnt bounce crazy when going over bumps. I have never bottom'ed out my suspension. I'm switching to AGX so that I can have a stiffer ride, because the OEM is to soft for drag racing.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

People just don't get it I guess. Sprints reduce your front end wheel travel to about nil. That's why they ride like crap (and they do).

You can ride on stock struts, but I can GUARANTEE you that they CAN NOT keep up with the spring rates of aftermarket springs. That's why struts quickly wear about. Struts are only there to dampen the springs and when the spring rates are high, you need a strut that is correctly valved for the task.

Dave