4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lowest with stock shocks/struts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 11:06 PM

Lowest with stock shocks/struts.

Hey everyone just wondering what would be the lowest one could go on stock shocks and struts. I plan on replacing them eventually but I just bought the car and the dealer replaced the shocks and struts. So they're practically new I just want to wait till I need them. I've had a friend say that 1.3 to 1.5 will be fine on them. However I've read in the forums that you shouldn't even attempt to lower with the stock shocks and struts. So just looking for a good word...and then what springs would most likely work best on the stock but won't let me down later. Or is there no such thing and I should just bite the bullit an wait till I can afford the AGX/Progress combo? THanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:18 AM

Re: Lowest with stock shocks/struts.

Originally posted by tszymans
Hey everyone just wondering what would be the lowest one could go on stock shocks and struts. I plan on replacing them eventually but I just bought the car and the dealer replaced the shocks and struts. So they're practically new I just want to wait till I need them. I've had a friend say that 1.3 to 1.5 will be fine on them. However I've read in the forums that you shouldn't even attempt to lower with the stock shocks and struts. So just looking for a good word...and then what springs would most likely work best on the stock but won't let me down later. Or is there no such thing and I should just bite the bullit an wait till I can afford the AGX/Progress combo? THanks in advance.
All stock shocks will blow within a year of aftermarket springs. It's just a fact of life, they were never designed to ride 1.5 inches lower with a much higher spring rate.

You can probably get away with H&Rs for a while, but I wouldn't leave them on for over a year on stocks.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:29 AM

i just got some gr2 shocks and struts and am waiting for the progressive springs in the mail.... hopefully someone will reply with a little more info on specifics and where to get them... this will lower the car 1.7" in the front, and 1.5" in the back. that is, lower than the stocks... man it's gonna be sweet! :attention
Old 07-20-2003, 05:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Go with H&R springs and you should be ok for a while.

Curious - How much did the dealer rape you for that job?
Old 07-20-2003, 02:24 PM

The dealer didn't rape me nothin, I got a 97 Pear White GXE with 65K for 8000, as far as looks go the car is in practically show room condition, if it wasn't for the tach being at 65K you wouldn't think it was used. I just noticed that the shocks were new when I put the car up on a rack at my uncle's shop and took at look at them. I've only had a couple probs but the dealer took care of them no cost to me, the first was the master cylinder, and the second was the alternator but like I said the only thing that cost me was the time it took to take it to them and let them fix it. I just have trouble justifying the $500 tag for the AGX/Progress combo when I don't really NEED shocks.