4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Unreal A/C problem, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 05:13 PM

Unreal A/C problem, any ideas?

The symptoms were no cold A/C, it would get cool only when i had the gas running, but if I was at a light it was wam air blowing.

Let me say this first, the shop isn't trying to rip me off because my good friends uncle is the manager and he is getting me free installation and I only pay cost for the parts.

Well, my car has been in the shop since monday.

I supposedly needed a new compressor and dryer. They put those in on tuesday. Then on tuesday I drove out their and they told me that I needed a new valve for the A/C. They recomended that I put in a new evaporator in while they put the valve in because they both require taking the dash apart. I called a friend and he said that was a good idea, so I told them to put in a new evaporator also.

On wednesday, they put in the valve but forgot to check the evaporator. By the time they remembered and checked it, they found out it definately needed replacing, but it was to late to get the part.

So today we called at 12:30, they told us it was done, and to come and get it. When we got their, we walked up to the car and the A/C was cool but definately not cold. He said it was VERY cold for like 5 minutes after the install then it started to become room temperature. After running a few tests, and telling me it was probably the BCM ($800 part), they come and tell me it was a faulty new compressor and they will have a new one in the car in an hour.

THREE hours later he turns the car on after all the work was done. The A/C blows cool, and then room temperature. The readout was 80 and 100 instead of 30 and 200 like it is supposed to be.

I'm so frusterated. The head mechanic claims he is going to work on it all night tonight and have it ready for tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas or heard of anything like this before?
Old 07-24-2003, 05:53 PM

Are the fans coming on ? I'm no expert on a/c but when the high pressure switch is activated the fans come on to cool the condensor (rad in front of the car rad) If the switch hasn't been connected the pressure in the system will rise and the compressor will kick out. My old car had a bad switch on it. Great on the hwy with the air flowing across the condensor but stuck in traffic it started to blow hot air !

Might be something to think about seems how they've had the car apart (sounds like more than once) and in a hurry to finish. There should be 2 switchs on the a/c system - one for low and one for high. Worth the few mins it take to see if there connected.

Hope this helps , martin
Old 07-24-2003, 06:44 PM

Yes, the fans are coming on. A friend of mine told me that it's a bad compressor because of the reading they are getting. I told him that that is the second new compressor they installed. He says he is positive that I got ANOTHER bad brand new compressor from Nissan.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-24-2003, 06:53 PM
pMB

checked condenser?

if they fixed all that, it could be the a/c lines or the a/c condenser, or the O rings that receive the a/c lines into the condenser might be bad.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:53 PM

tough break. hope your not paying for both compressors !

If you get another bad compressor ( 3 in a row ?! ) They may not be evacuating the a/c system correctly/fully or have the wrong refrigerant/oil mixture.

My thoughts.

Martin
Old 07-25-2003, 09:43 PM

Faulty expansion valve? If it's opening too much then pressure that is supposed to build behind it (to keep the high pressure side at high pressure) will be too low. I find it hard to believe that 2 new compressors would be shot. Try posting on aircondition.com. If you got pressures those guys can be very sharp to diagnose problems
Old 07-26-2003, 03:54 PM

It ended up being the evaporator coil that they replaced. The head mechanic says he thinks one of his guys bent it during installation. But its fixed now, thank god!

My total came to only $510.00 that for a brand new nissan compressor and dryer, an evaporator and a new expansion valve. At a Nissan dealership it would have cost over $1,000. Thanks for the advice though guys.