4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Quaife TBD (torque biasing differential) for the Maxima is on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 12:07 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

My fellow Maxima owners,

The Quaife TBD (torque biasing differential) for the Maxima is finally on the way. The last, and most important link in Cattman Performance extreme traction package for the Maxima, also including the wheelhop-killing Place Racing HD motor mounts and JWT Stage 1 and 2 clutches. Anybody out there with a supercharger, this is the solution you've been looking for to get off the line... a lot more quickly. Coupled with the urethane motor mounts to suppress the wheel hop and a single metal face JWT clutch and pressure plate to grab the power and go, you'll switch your technique from easing off the line to hurling out of the hole. Check out the effect that slashing your 60' times will have on the 1/4 mile ET.

This is designed to replace the differential that is common to all 1995-2001 Maxima 5-speed transmissions, and is even supposed to fit the 92-94 SE (VE30DE engine) 5-speed. Yes, they have the LSDs, but these function much more effectively because they are all-gear. Might fit the VG series, but that won't be determined until we can actually try it out on someone who has their tranny apart anyway.

Price will be $1445. Discounts in quantity. Shipping is free. There will be a one-time, introductory group deal limited to 10 units (see below). This message also appears in the Group Deal forum.

Quaife has a reputation for bullitproof equipment and supporting it under any conditions of use. They describe their unique TB Differential this way on their web site (there's more at http://www.quaifeamerica.com/diffs.htm):

"The Quaife's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.

The Quaife is extremely strong and durable and since the Quaife is gear operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly replacement.

The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits."

Quaife's manufacturing queue in the UK is about 4-5 months, so these should be available somewhere in the May-June timeframe.

There will be a group deal to introduce the part for 1995-2001 Maximas. No need to whip out the checkbook yet, it will work like this. Send me your "sincere expressions of interest" now. Those names will give me a sense of the magnitude of interest, and will form a list that will have first shot at putting down deposits later in the Spring.

"Retail" price on the Quaife diffs for the Maxima will be $1445, and I am prevented from routinely discounting to retail customers. The introductory price of the group deal will be $1225, and postage is free. Getting in on the deal will require a 25% non-refundable deposit with the balance subject to immediate credit card payment upon shipment of the units.

This message also appears in the Group Deal forum.

I'll also be selecting the first quaife installation. They send the first unit about 3-4 weeks ahead of the others for review. I want to find one of the most serious racing Maximas out there, preferably someone running consistantly sub-14 second times, to give the new unit a thorough workout and offer testimonials on its performance. This unit will be "severely" discounted in return for being the first installation and providing one-season sponsorship credit for Cattman Performance.

I wish I had the luxury of time that allowed me to visit here on a regular basis but I don't, so questions and comments and, most importantly, "expressions of sincere interest" will be addressed quickly if sent to me at bcatts@earthlink.net.

Thanks in advance for the interest I suspect this will generate.

Brian C. Catts