4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyway to simply add an amp and sub to premium Bose system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 12:29 AM
Licensed to Spell

I would like to take an amp, crossover and two boxed tens (from my crashed Audi) and put them in my 1996 GLE without changing the factory tape/c.d. Bose deck and speakers. How is the best way to do this? Can I tap into the rear speakers? Should I tap in line level before the individual Bose amps? Should I tap in after the Bose amps and convert that speaker level back to line level before my crossover/amp? What should I use for remote turn-on? Thanks so much for any and all advise/help. I appreciate it. )

-FST4DR
Old 02-06-2001, 07:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Maxima FAQ can be found at
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

Straight outta the FAQ:

Q: My Maxima has the BOSE audio system and I would like to add more bass to it. Is there any way to add a subwoofer to this audio system?

A: Courtesy of Russell Zotz:

Okay guys and gals. We finally hooked up the subs I had this weekend to the stock BOSE system.. and here is how we did it...Two SUBS to your Stock BOSE system on the 95+ Maxima's... probably will work for all generations with Bose.... First this is what we have....

2 JBL Competition 10 inch Subs
BandPass Box with Plexy Glass
180 Watt Mosfet Amp (Optimus Brand) Bridged
Pyramid 3 way Crossover
Monster Cables
*PAC model # SNI-35* (This is what converts the signal to the crossover from the Bose)
We ran the power cable from the battery with nice gold connectors (Not connecting it to the battery till last, through the firewall on the left side of the fuel filter, running it around the brake lines in a Plastic protectant Wire cover.
After pushing it through the firewall and pulling it out from under the dash, we ran it above the steering rod, going across the pedals....
Remove the Plastic kick panel on the left side, it just pops in place....
here is some rubber there which is very sticky.. the best thing to do is pull it off, and place it back on with the power cable going underneath it to hold it in place.
Pull the panels off the bottom of the door area... where your feet sometimes hit (forget the name of these... they just pop off... after popping the front one off and the back one off pull the carpet up and then start sticking the power cable down to the floor of the carpet against the sidewall.
before going back to the rear door one, pop the plastic wall piece that is around the seatbelt.. the lower portion only... it just pops out. Slide the power cable down that... and pop it back in....
Pull the carpet up in the back and run the cable there also.....
You also need to remove the back bottom seat cushion... to do this, you must get in the car, and there are two latches on the front lower parts of the seat.... there white. Pull it out, and lift the seat. The seat will pull up, and slide out... move it out of the way.
Next, you see some wires going towards the trunk in a 45 degree angle from the door.. you must follow the same route with your power wire.....
Get into the trunk and pull the left back tab on the top out... which will allow you to move the wall out of your way for a short period... you will see a hole in the bottom left corner that peeks into the back seat area.... where the wires are going through.....s tick the wire right through that hole with the others..... after getting all the wire into the trunk area... go back and put the carpet back down and snap those pieces back into place... and put the back seat back in also.... same way it came out... but remember to put the seat belts back where they were...
Next after getting everything snapped back in... the wire is in your trunk.... you will see the lining on the back wall where the pass thru is located in the middle of all this.. right under the passthrough I would recommended making a little hole at the bottom of the plastic so you can send the power wire through that....without it showing...just slide the power wire from the left to the middle under the plastic and come through the hole...
Then hook it up to the amp.
Now for the remote wires to let the amp know your Bose is turned on....
Hook the remote wire up to the RED wire on the Bose speaker connector, (Which you will need to remove..there are four wires total...RED, Black,2 mixed colors (which are the + - speaker wires)), 3M makes some taps..which are recommended in this so you do not splice the original factory wiring...
When you turn on your Bose it powers the back amps on the Bose speakers which sends the 12v to the remote as well to turn on the amp..to the subs or crossover. (Now you only have to hook that remote to one side.....
Now You need the PAC box....which you can purchase from Circuit City. What this box does, it transforms the 1 ohm Bose signal to the normal ohm signal that most stereos use today to hook up amps, etc. It has 6 wires on it, 2 are brown and those are grounds, and no need to connect them per instructions. The other 4 are the speakers which are the ones you need to tap into the left and right channels + & - sides....on the other end of this box are RCA female connectors which you will connect a RCA cable into and run it to your crossover.
There are 2 pots on the end of this box, you must have them turned all the way down, which will cause 0 signal to pass thru before turning the unit on...
After hooking that up, go back to the battery and hook your power up...Also you are going to have to find a ground somewhere in the trunk to hook up to or make one..it will not ground to the paint, it must be pure metal. You are all set..power the system up and see how she sounds..You will most likely hear nothing because the pots need to be turned up evenly to your likeing....make sure the polarity is correct on the rear speakers...since the stock wiring is hard to tell we have to use your sense of hearing and make sure its hitting at the right beat in phase.
After hooking these up to the system and fine tuning it, it sounded awesome and a perfect beat...I originally had a JVC flip down face 40w in dash receiver in my old 96 SE, and it sounded good, but hooking it up to the Bose it even sounds better.....The car is so insulated and the trunk it has a good beat....

These are step-by-step instructions to help anyone hooking up anytime of subs,crossover,box to there trunk and BOSE system. It took approx. 2 hrs. The box from Circuit City was 30 bucks....Any other questions just email me at nismo@texas.net

Old 02-06-2001, 12:03 PM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks soooo Much!!

Thank you a million times. That is exactly what I was looking for! I really appreciate it. Thanks again! )

-FST4DR

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CKNY
[I]The Maxima FAQ can be found at
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

Straight outta the FAQ:

Q: My Maxima has the BOSE audio system and I would like to add more bass to it. Is there any way to add a subwoofer to this audio system?

A: Courtesy of Russell Zotz:

Okay guys and gals. We finally hooked up the subs I had this weekend to the stock BOSE system.. and here is how we did it...
Old 12-16-2003, 01:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The best write up. thanks dude. Here goes my next mod *grin*