4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Want to go as fast as possible!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 09:59 AM

need some help/advice!

I want to make my 95 SE (automatic) as fast as possible and I want some suggestions as to what to add.

What I have:
*Stillen Intake
*Stillen Exhaust
*Cattman Y-Pipe

What I want:
*Supercharger (way down the road, probably the last thing)
*Tourque Converter
*Upgraded Fuel Injectors (suggestions?)
*Mid pipe (suggestions?)

Open Suggestions? any performance upgrades that you know of that I have not listed! I know there are probably tons, which is fine with me, i want to make this car scream.

thanks in advance for any replies.

B. Keith Dusky
byron@lewiston.com
Old 02-07-2001, 12:55 PM
The missing moderator

Sell car buy camaro... not being a jerk, just being realistic.

You get all that stuff, super charger, etc etc, you will probably still only run low 14's? Drop nos you say? Ok, you then get a mid 13's car depending on how much yo spray. But then, you will haev to spend money fixing the broken tranny you are going to get.

In other words, if all want you is straight line performance, this is not a car to start with.

-Shing
Old 02-07-2001, 01:44 PM

I appreciate the reply but I don't want the fastest car I can get my hands on! I just want to make my Maxima as fast as I can. I love my Maxima and I could never sell it unless I was getting another Maxima.
Old 02-07-2001, 02:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

Some of those mods don't make sense but anyway.

Here is what I would do. You got to have the Y(from whomever) And to compliment the Y, get the JWT intake. Cheaper than Stillens. Maybe the RT cat but no biggie. Leave the rest of the exhaust alone for now. Now get the Valve Body modification from Don in Texas(so a search!) Then if you still got some $$, consider the JWT ecu upgrade ($550) for another 15%-20% increase in power. These mods probably represent the greatest hp gains this side of the SC.

Of course if you are still running a stock suspension, get rid of that stuff asap!

If you have any questions ie.. Cattman vs Stillen Y pipes, Stillen vs JWT intakes, cold air etc... do a search.
Old 02-07-2001, 04:43 PM

need more power??? Don's VB upgrade, PR-CAI, ported intake manifold/exhaust manifold, exhaust, and NOS kit/75shot. total under $1200 and you can do it yourself, except the VB upgrade. hahahaha
Old 02-07-2001, 04:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

The only guy I know who has extruded honed their intake manifold didn't much of any gains and it cost $500 to do it. And can I ask how you port your exhaust manifolds? My ve has cast iron flanges but also has what look likes steel tubular pipes collecting into a cast iron downpipe flange.

Originally posted by BrokenMotor
need more power??? Don's VB upgrade, PR-CAI, ported intake manifold/exhaust manifold, exhaust, and NOS kit/75shot. total under $1200 and you can do it yourself, except the VB upgrade. hahahaha
Old 02-07-2001, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Shingles
Sell car buy camaro... not being a jerk, just being realistic.

You get all that stuff, super charger, etc etc, you will probably still only run low 14's? Drop nos you say? Ok, you then get a mid 13's car depending on how much yo spray. But then, you will haev to spend money fixing the broken tranny you are going to get.

In other words, if all want you is straight line performance, this is not a car to start with.

-Shing
Well he said he wanted to make his auto as fast as possible. Not that he wanted the fastest car possible. I think Steve C in Chicago is well into the low to mid 13's with his automatic vq Supercharger included
Old 02-07-2001, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
The only guy I know who has extruded honed their intake manifold didn't much of any gains and it cost $500 to do it. And can I ask how you port your exhaust manifolds? My ve has cast iron flanges but also has what look likes steel tubular pipes collecting into a cast iron downpipe flange.
Yeah, Extrude Honing won't do much, b/c it just smooths out the passage a bit. But porting/polishing will reshape the passage, somewhat. The polishing stage smooths it out too, so you end up with a lot mor power. Too bad DPR hasn't done much work on Maximas. I've read about Integs making up to another 40hp with a ported head.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:27 PM

Get the VB from Don & ask Cheston about an ECU upgrade @ http://www.maximadriver.com.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:57 AM

thanks Jeff! I e-mailed Don yesterday and got the ball rolling there. I also e-mailed about the ECU upgrade but I'm still waiting for a reply on that. Does the valve modification by Don eliminate the need for a tourqe converter? I had wanted to get one but if the valve Mod helps out as much as I heard than maybe I won't need the tourqe converter...and suggestions?
Old 02-08-2001, 10:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

ugh.. "reshape the passage"?? It will only help IF THE PASSAGE WAS A BAD DESIGN IN THE FIRST PLACE. If the passage was a good design and you reshape it, it will flow WORSE. There is ALOT of discussion regarding if smoother is better for flow or not. Way too much to discuss here. The question is for two passages (that are not air restricting), which is better for flow or better yet, which is better for efficent combustion? Don't answer becuase it's beyond the scope of this thread, trust me.

Originally posted by Black VQ
Yeah, Extrude Honing won't do much, b/c it just smooths out the passage a bit. But porting/polishing will reshape the passage, somewhat. The polishing stage smooths it out too, so you end up with a lot mor power. Too bad DPR hasn't done much work on Maximas. I've read about Integs making up to another 40hp with a ported head. [/I]
Old 02-08-2001, 10:38 AM
I'm needing a caw

It depends on what level of mods you have. Since the tc requires the tranny to be taken out and the VB doesn't, I would just get the VB for now and if you get the SC, consider it then. I think the VB mod will be plenty of mods for your tranny w/ just bolt on na stuff.

Originally posted by Dusky
thanks Jeff! I e-mailed Don yesterday and got the ball rolling there. I also e-mailed about the ECU upgrade but I'm still waiting for a reply on that. Does the valve modification by Don eliminate the need for a tourqe converter? I had wanted to get one but if the valve Mod helps out as much as I heard than maybe I won't need the tourqe converter...and suggestions?
Old 02-08-2001, 08:11 PM

Add the pop charger, get rid of stock muffler, and unbolt the catalytic converter and drive a rod through it. My 95 gxe ran extremely well after this was performed. The cat will bolt back up and look normal.
Old 02-09-2001, 08:55 AM

I just had the Y-Pipe and a mid-pipe (took out the resonator) installed yesterday. More power is definately evident but so is the noise (I also have a Stillen Exhaust). I don't mind it for now but I'm afraid I'm going to get tired of it. There's also a rubbing sound (almost a rattle) when I turn the wheel counter clock-wise...I'm going to take it back in today and see if everything is fastened in good. Anyone else get a problem like this when changing out the exhaust?
Old 03-01-2001, 09:27 PM

did the "rattle" get fixed?
Old 03-01-2001, 09:35 PM

forget the sc go do a engine swap start a new revolution with me

after the sc your pretty much done with speed probly besting out at 14 flat (if your lucky)

swap- get a new engine stock turboes upgrade a little your pushing 400hp a little more tuning you be busting 600+hp

if your gonna be a racer you might as well go hard core

real late for me ima sleep
Old 03-04-2001, 07:02 AM

After you're SC'd, that should be it. An engine swap would be great, but unless you are Don Cooper, paying a shop just is not cost effective, so it's back to the Z28 theory...
Old 03-04-2001, 01:01 PM
ybelm620

you want

to go fast ehh, well this is what i would do. First get rid of that popcharger and get a place racing cai. You want to go as fast as possible so that means you won't mind putting out the greens. then i would go out and try to fabricate a turbo for your car, that is what i plan to do by next summer, be fast and be different. it can be done. lower your car and put some mean rubbers on it. since you have an automatic i would do a torque convertor job and have your tranny done to since it will be handling alot of power. i would also not mind rebuilding the engine,
1.rebiuld engine
2.placeracing cai
3.try to get a turbo manufactured
4.tranny job and torque convertor
5.do a suspension job
6.get some really good tires
7.and nos would help too
hopes this help.