4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Squeaky Springs (or some part of suspension)??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 01:12 PM

Squeaky Springs (or some part of suspension)??

Have any of you with aftermarket springs/shocks come across a really annoying squeaking as you drive over bumps/cracks? Got any recommendation on how to get rid of the noise?

I have had my Progress springs/AGXs on for about 1 yr. Over the past month, I started hearing squeaks from the the front of the car. The nuts on top of the FTSB are tight and when I press down on either front corner of the car, I do NOT hear any squeaks. I hear the squeaky regardless of the temperature too (& it's hot out anyway).

I also searched on the forum using "squeaky" and found that some folks have in the past suggested lubing:

(1) spring "bushings" at top-most/bottom-most coils
(2) front sway bar bushings
(3) motor mounts (IIRC)

Any insights? Any success stories in curing squeaks??

please!
Old 08-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Spray WD-40 on your springs, if the squeak stops you've found your problem. If it's still there, it's not the springs. You can use WD-40 as your tool to eliminate things. Once you squirt the right thing, it should shut up and you'll have found the source of your squeak.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Spray WD-40 on your springs, if the squeak stops you've found your problem. If it's still there, it's not the springs. You can use WD-40 as your tool to eliminate things. Once you squirt the right thing, it should shut up and you'll have found the source of your squeak.
I love a comedian! Thanks for the scoop about the WD-40. I hear over the long term, it's not so rubber-friendly because it contains pertroleum distillate which will eat up rubber. I read about "dry silicone spray lube" as an alternative though I'll have to do some hunting for that stuff.

Had you had squeaks in the past from your springs?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by StygianMax

I love a comedian! Thanks for the scoop about the WD-40. I hear over the long term, it's not so rubber-friendly because it contains pertroleum distillate which will eat up rubber. I read about "dry silicone spray lube" as an alternative though I'll have to do some hunting for that stuff.

Had you had squeaks in the past from your springs?

I'm having the same annoying problem. I'll be taking out my entire suspension soon and re-wrapping the springs with spiral wire wrap. I sprayed WD-40 on the springs already. The squeek went away for about a week, then came back. I don't feel like spraying more in there, it just makes a mess. The wire wrap does the trick.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by araffio

I'm having the same annoying problem. I'll be taking out my entire suspension soon and re-wrapping the springs with spiral wire wrap. I sprayed WD-40 on the springs already. The squeek went away for about a week, then came back. I don't feel like spraying more in there, it just makes a mess. The wire wrap does the trick.
Sounds like it's the springs that are the issue. Are you getting the helical split stuff from Radio Shack? Believe or not, they don't carry that specific product in the Toronto area. I have only been able to find the tubing that's split length-wise.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the FAQ's for Nissan P/N's for spring isolators.

I dont think using the WD just to figure out whats wrong will have any long term effects on rubber components. It's gonna wash off with the first drive in the rain.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Check the FAQ's for Nissan P/N's for spring isolators.

I dont think using the WD just to figure out whats wrong will have any long term effects on rubber components. It's gonna wash off with the first drive in the rain.
Found the post:

Front - You need four of these. Two on each spring. One goes on the last coil to isolate the spring from the strut and one goes on the 2nd coil from the top to stop noises if they rub or touch each other.

Courtesy Nissan has the best price on these, about $6.50

Front P/N 54034-85E10

Rear you only need one. P/N - 55020F
Old 08-08-2003, 05:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm having the same problem. I bought the wire wrap from Radio Shack. I haven't put it on yet. Hopefully that will eliminate the problem. I'm running H&R with Tokico on the front. Only the front have the noise, the rear is fine. I didn't have this problem when I had Eibachs or Sprint on.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:33 PM

i get a noise when i turn my steering wheel all the way to the right or all the way to the left while driving 3mph to turn into a parking space. anyone else get that? it only comes from the front like you guys. i just installed progress with kyb gr2 2 days ago.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:38 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by -=PK=-Maxima
i get a noise when i turn my steering wheel all the way to the right or all the way to the left while driving 3mph to turn into a parking space. anyone else get that? it only comes from the front like you guys. i just installed progress with kyb gr2 2 days ago.
I have this too. I heard that it's the steering pump, it needs to be replaced. My cousin had this on his car and that's what they told him. After getting it replaced it went away. It happens when you turn the wheels all the way to one side, which you're not supposed to do. I'm actually gonna put on new springs first to try to get rid of this...

Old 08-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had the exact problem you've had with my AGX + STOCK springs. We have another Maxima with H&Rs and AGXs...it's totally silent. The one with stock springs has ES bushings in the front BTW.

Dunno if that helps any...
Old 08-08-2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by TurDz
The one with stock springs has ES bushings in the front BTW.
As in "spring bushings"?
Old 08-08-2003, 07:08 PM

I'm getting my suspension installed next week and I was wondering if you guys have the part number or something for the wrap thing from Radio Shack. I don't want to pay like $50 for 6 spring isolators since I'm broke and parents won't pay that much for it.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by StygianMax

As in "spring bushings"?
No...as in Energy Suspension bushings. Control Arm bushings, Front Sway Bar, and endlink bushings, all polyurethane.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

Hey, I had a lot of these problems with my install. First, squeakiness -- I didn't wrap my springs at first. When the painted metal rubs on painted metal, it squeaks. Fixing this can one of two ways -- nissan OEM parts or work arounds. I bought nissan OEM spring isolators, which cost like $12-15 a piece for just plastic with rubber cement in them, and they were backordered for ever (I still have two on order and it has been about a year since I replaced my suspension), or aftermarket workarounds. For the FAQ fix to the springs, my radio shack doesn't carry helical wire wrap either. But, home depot carries vinyl tubing for like one cent per mile and if you have a box knife you can cut it into a helix and wrap it around your springs. I bought one ridiculously long section and it cost me like $3. I had enough to wrap a firend's springs and still some left over. If you can't find wire wrap at radio shack, Home Depot vinyl tubing is my recommendation.

Then, on the noises at extreme turns at low speeds, are they pops or squeaks? Can you hear the noises from outside the car, or are they just audible from inside? If they are pops audible mainly from inside, you may have screwed up a front strut bearing or two. If they are squeaks, ignore me like my silly under-avatar message says.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-08-2003, 09:46 PM

felix, show me what noise u have next time I see you, I've had all kinds of weird suspension noise maybe I'll know what it is
Old 08-08-2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by SlavDaddy
For the FAQ fix to the springs, my radio shack doesn't carry helical wire wrap either. But, home depot carries vinyl tubing for like one cent per mile and if you have a box knife you can cut it into a helix and wrap it around your springs. I bought one ridiculously long section and it cost me like $3. I had enough to wrap a firend's springs and still some left over. If you can't find wire wrap at radio shack, Home Depot vinyl tubing is my recommendation.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for all that info. That's certainly good to know! What was the wall thickness of the tubing you got? I'm guessing that if it's too thick, it'll compress (and eventually wear down into bits & pieces). A denser material that's less compressible would be better right?
Old 08-08-2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
felix, show me what noise u have next time I see you, I've had all kinds of weird suspension noise maybe I'll know what it is
Cool. Thx D.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:54 AM

How well does the vinyl tubing hold up? What size did you get?

Which one from Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=278%2D1638 or http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=278%2D1676 ?
Old 08-10-2003, 06:44 PM

I just sprayed some graphite lube on the bottom coils of the springs & seems to have quieted down the squeaky significantly.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by JaTaN

Which one from Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=278%2D1638 or http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=278%2D1676 ?
Bump

VQP is back online and I found this: http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...howpage&pid=11
Old 08-10-2003, 10:14 PM

I'm getting my suspension installed next week and I was wondering if you guys have the part number or something for the wrap thing from Radio Shack. I don't want to pay like $50 for 6 spring isolators since I'm broke and parents won't pay that much for it.

You can re-use the old ones from your OEM springs. I had a popping noise when turning my wheels all the way left or right. I looked up into the wheel well and noticed some paint missing on my H&R's. I still had my old springs so I took off the old isolators cleaned them up, put them on, and that got rid of my noise . I reused the back ones too . It saved me a few bucks.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:22 AM

I think I might be missing some of them since my springs squeaking right now or something. I'm going to wrap them on the top and bottom with the vinyl wrap and then I'll tell my mechanic to use the old ones too
Old 08-11-2003, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I'm having the same problem. I bought the wire wrap from Radio Shack. I haven't put it on yet. Hopefully that will eliminate the problem. I'm running H&R with Tokico on the front. Only the front have the noise, the rear is fine. I didn't have this problem when I had Eibachs or Sprint on.
You will be surprised. I did all of the "quieting" tricks and my suspension is very, very quiet.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:16 AM

tubing size

I don't remember exactly what size, because I bought two or three different sizes and used the one that fit the springs best. That was last October I think, and my springs are still quiet, so I guess it holds up okay. you could get some calipers and measure spring width, then bring those to home depot and measure the tubing, but I was too lazy.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:36 PM

I just got 5/8" ID and 1/2" ID clear vinyl tubing from Menards. $5 with tax for 10 feet of each. Just started cutting the tubing in a spiral form.

My question, should I cover up the whole spring or just the top and bottom? Or should I cover up the 2nd coil from the top and 2nd coil from the bottom? Getting it installed tomorrow so someone please answer my question
Old 08-14-2003, 04:06 PM

I just did the top and bottom few winds. The middle part shoulnd't be rubbing all the time, I don't think. Either way, you can alternate rungs, since the winding on will work for the wind that it is on plus one half of the wind above it and one half of the wind under it.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:49 PM

Hah! Def not the 2nd ones! I love those velcro cable tie things, but not for wrapping springs with...

Old 08-14-2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by SlavDaddy
I just did the top and bottom few winds. The middle part shoulnd't be rubbing all the time, I don't think. Either way, you can alternate rungs, since the winding on will work for the wind that it is on plus one half of the wind above it and one half of the wind under it.
Thanks! Will do this in the morning
Originally posted by maximaah Hah! Def not the 2nd ones! I love those velcro cable tie things, but not for wrapping springs with...
Thanks, but I already got them from Menards since my dad had some rebate checks left
Old 10-14-2003, 02:27 PM

Hi all,
I finally got installed AGX/Eibach/KYB Boot. First two days, car felt so solid without any noise. But third day, I began to hear squeak in bumpy road from front side. I can even hear clearly when I drive smooth road when the car bounce up and down.
Also, I hear some tick in front, when I start car from stop. Any suggestion?
I am going back to Tom who's going to take a look, but I want to have some idea so we can troubleshoot this problem better.
Thanks

James
Old 10-14-2003, 03:19 PM

Did you replace the front strut bearings? Were the spring isolators/insulators in good condition?

My rear made a noise b/c it wasn't seated properly. Have it lifted up and see if it's seated properly. Good luck
Old 10-14-2003, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
Did you replace the front strut bearings? Were the spring isolators/insulators in good condition?
What should I look for specifically? Can I see the condition just by having the car jacked up or would I need to disassemble the suspension?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by StygianMax
What should I look for specifically? Can I see the condition just by having the car jacked up or would I need to disassemble the suspension?
If you hear a sound while turning, then usually your strut bearings are bad (the grease inside of it is dried up or something http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/703). If you hear your spring winding up, then usually it's the spring isolator. You can probably see the bottom isolator with the car lifted up in the air (also, while it's in the air, check and see if it's seated properly). Search for more help.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by -=PK=-Maxima
if u did this install yourself, make sure that the upper strut cup is facing the right way, mai 98 has *out* printed on tha top so i adjusted mine, same exact problem like rubbing and clanking sounds.. gude luck
Old 12-11-2003, 07:26 AM

Want to bring this thread back because my front suspension is still squeaking like crazy. I did the coil wrap thing, but that didn't seem to do anything. So if I wrapped the springs with coil wrap, and the squeaking is still there, that mean the squeaking isn't coming from the springs right?

Could the squeak be coming from the motor or tranny mounts? Is there a way to tell?

The rear suspension has no squeaking at all. I have AGX/H&R in the rear and stock struts/H&R in the front if that matters.