4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help...car stops....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 07:06 PM
1maxTaDie4

my car just stops while i'm driving...and then i put it in neutral...and try to restart it, the ignition doesn't crank then i step on the gas, and then the car starts again..but the thing is that it feels as if the gas wasn't being fed..steping on the gas when this happens,makes the car hestitate, then it suddenly starts, but i have to keep revving. this doesn't happen everytime i drive..but happens like 4 times every month...for 3 months now...whats the problem? and have any of you guys/gals expierenced this with your maxima(s)...i have a 96 gle.

Old 02-07-2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by 1maxTaDie4
my car just stops while i'm driving...and then i put it in neutral...and try to restart it, the ignition doesn't crank then i step on the gas, and then the car starts again..but the thing is that it feels as if the gas wasn't being fed..steping on the gas when this happens,makes the car hestitate, then it suddenly starts, but i have to keep revving. this doesn't happen everytime i drive..but happens like 4 times every month...for 3 months now...whats the problem? and have any of you guys/gals expierenced this with your maxima(s)...i have a 96 gle.
Please clarify your report of symptoms. You say "the ignition doesn't crank". I don't know what that means. The starter motor is supposed to crank the engine. The ignition system is supposed to ignite the combustible mixture inside the cylinders.
Old 02-07-2001, 08:17 PM
1maxTaDie4

I MEAN...

i mean when i turn the key the car doesn't want to start up again...but when i repeatily step on the gas then the car starts up again...but up in the proces of steping on the gas..the car feels as if it will turn off again, unless i keep on depress and inpress the gas pedal..otherwise the car turns right off again..basically it stalls, and thus i say it hestiates (you could feel mild shaking while repeadily stepping on gas).

Old 02-07-2001, 08:25 PM

Re: I MEAN...

Originally posted by 1maxTaDie4
i mean when i turn the key the car doesn't want to start up again...but when i repeatily step on the gas then the car starts up again...but up in the proces of steping on the gas..the car feels as if it will turn off again, unless i keep on depress and inpress the gas pedal..otherwise the car turns right off again..basically it stalls, and thus i say it hestiates (you could feel mild shaking while repeadily stepping on gas).
You say "when i turn the key the car doesn't want to start up again...". Please be more specific. When you turn the key to the START position, does the engine fail to crank (no Rrr-Rrr-Rrr) or does it fail to fire (no Vroom!)? Which is it?

The car's behavior is obvious to you because you have experienced it. If you expect help from someone who has never seen or heard your car, you have to make an extra effort to explain the symptoms clearly.
Old 02-07-2001, 08:28 PM

My first guess would be a clogged fuel filter, but if you've never replaced the air filter and the plugs, maybe you should change them all. You said it happens 4 times a month. Is that when your tank is almost empty?