4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Will this muffler fit? Any opinions on magnaflows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 05:00 AM

Will this muffler fit? Any opinions on magnaflows?

I've searched and found mostly good opinions on Magnaflows. Hope it has a deep tone to it.

http://store.yahoo.com/southwestauto...ore/14829.html

Basically I would bring this into the muffler shop and just tell them I wanna replace my muffler with this one? Is this a good price for it? And how much should I expect to pay to get it installed? thnx
Old 08-11-2003, 06:14 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

It should cost you around $50 to have the shop weld it on unless it's a bolt on.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:52 AM

is there any piping that has to be fabricated to install it?
Old 08-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Ludacris
is there any piping that has to be fabricated to install it?
Most of the time, they will just saw off the OEM muffler and weld on the new one.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by amixam98

Most of the time, they will just saw off the OEM muffler and weld on the new one.
How does your exhaust tone sound? is it a single tone or an uneven deep burble sound?
Old 08-11-2003, 07:00 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

My exhaust sounds OEM. No sound at all.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:13 AM

I got the 14832 from magnaflow and am pretty satisfied with it. It looks good and not too loud. The only problem is, I think since we have v6's and a huge @ss resonator combined with i think 2 1/4 in stock piping, the airflow is not maximized. So there is a slight burbling sound when you let off the throttle. I plan on getting a budget y-pipe and maybe even a b-pipe and hopefully this lets more air through. I think some members have a muffler and y-pipe/b-pipe setup and they are also pretty satisfied.
Of course, you can always remove the resonator, but I don't think that it will make it too much louder and it would probably be even more raspy. I asked the muffler shop that installed my muffler if I was to replace the stock piping with 2 1/2 in piping, would it be louder? And they told me that it wouldn't.
Installment-wise, they would have to weld on an extra piece depending on the size of the muffler and how far back it sits.
You should also check ebay because they usually have magnaflow mufflers there.
In my opinion, I like the muffler, and it looks real clean.

Hope this helps.

THD
Old 08-11-2003, 02:06 PM

Yup thanks for all the info. Sounds like it wont be an obnixious muffler which is what I want
Old 08-11-2003, 07:36 PM

Bigexhaust.com has a slightly better price.

If you don't mind paying a little more I still think it's good to give your money to a company that is maxima/altima based though.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got that same muffler off ebay for 100$ flat. I have it on my car right now. Heres what I got out of it. I have Stillen Intake/ Frankencarmidpipe, Warp Y pipe, And I had a Custom B pipe with No Res. When I put that muffler on, Fat can galore. Sounds like Bees in the can 110%. So I immediatly went to the muffler shop and had them put on a Res on my B pipe. It toned the sound down big time. The sound of this muffler is deep toned but with a Gurgle in a way. Kinda like a Throaty sound. Its not that Deep Bass sound, thats for sure like you see with them cheap mufflers. When I step on it, floor it, Its got like a loud sound I cant really describe, when i hit about 5kRPM to Redline, It has the bees in the can, but when the car shifts, it stops when its at low rpms again. Like if your rollin up to someone, its got that deep gurgle throaty sound, its pretty good.

Matter fact, if you wanna hear what it sounds like "Ceasers Chariot has video clips and sound clips on his website. www.ceaserschariot.com is the website I belive. Listen to the clips before you buy. Trust me, Its a Really Diff sound compared to all the other mufflers out there. Its Gurgaly soundin, but its really not bad. Its a Mean sound definatly mixed with Intake.

later

Nick
Old 08-11-2003, 10:07 PM
ivelweyz

I got a budget y-pipe, apexi ws and an intake and the BURBLE is still there...

Old 08-12-2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by JetBlackMax
I got that same muffler off ebay for 100$ flat. I have it on my car right now. Heres what I got out of it. I have Stillen Intake/ Frankencarmidpipe, Warp Y pipe, And I had a Custom B pipe with No Res. When I put that muffler on, Fat can galore. Sounds like Bees in the can 110%. So I immediatly went to the muffler shop and had them put on a Res on my B pipe. It toned the sound down big time. The sound of this muffler is deep toned but with a Gurgle in a way. Kinda like a Throaty sound. Its not that Deep Bass sound, thats for sure like you see with them cheap mufflers. When I step on it, floor it, Its got like a loud sound I cant really describe, when i hit about 5kRPM to Redline, It has the bees in the can, but when the car shifts, it stops when its at low rpms again. Like if your rollin up to someone, its got that deep gurgle throaty sound, its pretty good.

Matter fact, if you wanna hear what it sounds like "Ceasers Chariot has video clips and sound clips on his website. www.ceaserschariot.com is the website I belive. Listen to the clips before you buy. Trust me, Its a Really Diff sound compared to all the other mufflers out there. Its Gurgaly soundin, but its really not bad. Its a Mean sound definatly mixed with Intake.

later

Nick
Ceasarschariot's car sounded ricey! But then again he has y-pipe, b-pipe and a racing pipe so hopefully that made the difference in sound. So I should expect my so far..stock exhaust with this muffler to sound deep and burbly? At least I know what to expect from a b-pipe I guess, since you and him both had em and had the rice sound...

btw is there a reason why they didnt mount your muffler a bit higher to get closer to the cutout?

If you don't mind paying a little more I still think it's good to give your money to a company that is maxima/altima based though.
gf is paying..don't wanna spend even more of her money
Old 08-12-2003, 09:06 AM

ivelweyz, is your ws a catback or just the muffler? I've never heard of a gurgling noise coming from any ws owners, yet again, they were all cat-backs.