4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Airbag Woes (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:44 AM

Airbag Woes (Long)

My airbag light has gone off about every 8 months since I bought my Maxima. I've always been able to clear the codes with no problem. Last week the light went on, and as normal reset. Last night it went on and would not reset and threw out the code for the right side SRS airbag! So I got under the seat and insured a secure connection and tried clearing the codes again. It worked. I was so happy. Well, on lunch break when I was going to Quizno's guess what? The airbag light is back and is throwing the same code as last night. I called the dealer and told them how I know there is a tsb for this problem. I was told they would need to diagnose the problem themselves and tsb's aren't waranties or recalls so I need to pay for the repair. I already knew this was the case, but I don't feel like getting nailed for a poorly designed airbag connector!!!! Does anyone have any advice on how I can get this repair done for less money, or even better, free???? The light is driving me crazy, and I am concerned about my passengers safety as well as resaleablility (is that even a word) of the vechicle. My car has roughtly 86,000 miles on it and any insight is appreciated. What I'm thinking about doing is calling Nissan on the phone to see what they say. Also, if you have had this problem please let me know so I get a rough idea of severity of it (am I the only one of teh few unlucky?) and use this to pressure Nissan if it is a large number of people. Also, does anyone know where I can get a .pdf or text version of the entire TSB, not an abstract. I had no luck using the search feature on the .org or google.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2003, 08:51 PM

Hey I am having the same problem ... although I do not yet have any solutions to share .... How did you know what your codes meant? I am getting 2 long, 2 short, repeating ....

What was the result of your problem?