4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I got a ticket and im really scared

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 04:21 AM

I got a ticket and im really scared

i was driving from the movies with my friend... My car has this squeeking belt problem.. but when you rev it goes away...

I was trying ot get rid of the sueeking at the light and it was on N and and i accidently put it on drive and it started peeling a little but i braked and started to the freeway.. but before i was about to hit the free way the a police car pulled me over..

He gave me a ticket, it says misdemeanor, exibition of speed...

I have never gotten a ticket before ever, nor have i gotten a misdemeaner... or anything,

A lot of people are saying that im going to jail for 20 days..
Is it true.. Does anyone know what EXhibition of speed means?

man..........i cant believe im going to jail for that.... i didnt even race anyone.....
Old 08-18-2003, 04:37 AM

if you were gonna go to jail for "exhibition of speed" you would have gone to jail right away. here is what i would do. go to mechanic and have him change your belts or go buy belts and change them yourself. be sure and keep receipts. go to court and go before a judge and explain to them what you have explained here and let the judge know that the belts have been changed and show receipts/bills and they may let you off with nothing but court costs.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

You're not going to jail. You we're racing nor were you driving recklessly. Do like Maximasefu said and get your belts fixed and plead your case to the judge. I can't imagine the ticket is even that expensive. Definately find out the cost of the ticket and how much your insurance might go up. Way too many people hire lawyers for $1000 to get the ticket erased when in actuality the ticket was only $60 and their insurance might have gone up $100.....unless you're one of those people that gets tickets all the time and rides the fine line betweem having a license and not.

Dave
Old 08-18-2003, 06:26 AM

Yes, do what maximaseefu said, if nothing else it may reduce your ticket amount, which shouldn't be that high in the first place. I'm not sure what California's options are, but if you go to court and this is your first ticket, or even your first in just the last year, you should get court supervision. In Illinois, which I'm sure is similar to other states, as long as you don't get another ticket within a certain amount of time while on supervision, the ticket won't go on your record. That doesn't mean the police can't see that you had it, it means your insurance company will never see it. Court supervision is simply, don't get a ticket within that time and the charge goes away, not on your record. Get another ticket within that time and both go on your record. All will depend on your states laws though.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:45 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Get the car fixed and save the reciepts. Being them in and plead your case to the judge. I agree that you would have gone to jail right away if you were going. I've never heard of "exhibition of speed" but I'm pretty sure it's not a jailable offense. There's no way a judge would lock you up even if you did a little burnout on purpose...
Old 08-18-2003, 07:08 AM
Old Maxima Legend

the slammer

relax, your not going to jail .. ! tell your story to a judge and take a witness.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Also get a letter from a mechanic (or two) stating the problem. It worked for me when I had a bad throttle positioning sensor on my old Z28.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:46 AM

Don't worry Exhibition of speed is like getting a ticket for loud music. The courts have a lot more to worry about than a burn out. You will simply be a 'next' please pay your ticket and don't do that silly thing again. It's actually amazing how many things, espcially things that most would think were dangerous misdemeanors, are simply a 'next' at the cashier at the courhouse.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:53 AM

In California, an exhibition of speed ticket counts as 2 points on your driving record so I would definitly fight this.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Always sunny in philly

damn. you are going to be somebody's bit*ch in jail...

jk.

you'll be fine.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by chillinmax
damn. you are going to be somebody's bit*ch in jail...

jk.

you'll be fine.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:40 PM

Yea you're screwed. My friend did county time for the same thing exact thing. Judge had no mercy.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:00 PM

Check this out:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23109.htm

relevant section:

(e) Any person convicted of a violation of subdivision (a) shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than 24 hours nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than three hundred fifty-five dollars ($355) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or both that fine and imprisonment. The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be subject to suspension as provided in subdivision (a) of Section 13352. The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle may be restricted for 90 days to six months to necessary travel to and from that person's place of employment and, if driving a motor vehicle is necessary to perform the duties of the person's employment, restricted to driving in that person's scope of employment. This subdivision does not interfere with the court's power to grant probation in a suitable case.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

1. Don't be afraid, it's just a piece of paper, and it's probally more scared of you than you are of it.
2. What's your past record look like? <-----Very important.
3. Do what everyone else said as far as taking it to a CERTIFIED mechanic. Either get him to state that there was a problem, or bite the bullet, and pay to have it fixed.
4. Understand that as long as there's proof that you did what you did because there was an actual problem, and as long as there's an actual problem, you're innocent, and as along as your innocent, you're not going to jail.
5. Also, realize that the judge has the final say. If you come in looking and acting like a punk, you'll be a b1tch.