4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ooopps, my knock sensor was loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ooopps, my knock sensor was loose

Last night I was inspecting the engine mounts on my car because I got bad wheel hop on one of my launches at the track the prior night. While I was looking at my mounts, I glanced at my knock sensor and remembered I had adjusted it's position a few weeks back. I thought to myself, "I remember loosening it, but not torqueing it down". Sure enough when I grabbed the harness, the sensor moved!!! Crap!!! No wonder I could hear some knock when I'd punch the gas from 3000rpms. It took two solid turns to torque the sensor down.

I ran at the track on Wednesday in honest to God 100+ degree heat (14.61@94.5mph). Either the loose sensor could have slowed me down or it could have put me dangerously close to severe knock. I noticed I could only gain 19mph in the final 1/8th where as I usually get 20-21mph. I orginally attributed the lack of topend to the heat and my 17s which I never raced on at the track. Now I'm wondering if the car was experiencing knock because the car pretty much uses 3rd for the final 1/8 and stays in the upper rpms longer which = more prone to extended knock. Oh well.

BTW, I'm happy to report my engine mounts are still completely intact. 7 years old, 98K miles, and 130 1/4 mile passes and they're still happy.

Dave
Old 08-22-2003, 09:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe you should try relocating it like the other gentleman did. Might make it less sensitive and not pull your timing back as much. SCC did a write up where their Sentra's KS was WAY over sensitive and made the dyno graph choppy as hell.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:43 AM

How would a loose knock sensor cause knock?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by kushane
How would a loose knock sensor cause knock?
It's purpose is to pick up knock. If it's loose, it might not be able to do it's job (regulate knock) therefore the motor is able to knock badly until the sensor finally picks up the sound. Once the sound is heard, then it does it's job. A loose sensor may also generate false knock when the knock sensor vibrates. False knock is worse because it will run the engine less efficently.

Dave
Old 08-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Blu
the tits

well since its fixed go back too the track and see what it runs. Then there will be no excuses on how fast or slow you run
Old 08-22-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

It's purpose is to pick up knock. If it's loose, it might not be able to do it's job (regulate knock) therefore the motor is able to knock badly until the sensor finally picks up the sound. Once the sound is heard, then it does it's job. A loose sensor may also generate false knock when the knock sensor vibrates. False knock is worse because it will run the engine less efficently.

Dave
Agreed! But assuming your KS was was not picking up any knock - then wouldn't your ECU be on it's optimum mapping. Then under ideal conditions, unless you were using a lower grade gas or the environment was really really unfavourable - you should not be knocking in the first place. Does the JWT ECU optimize it's mapping any differently that the stock ECU's?

I agree on what you said about KS picking up false knock (vibration), but then the ECU would switch to the safe table.

My understanding by looking at SteVTEC's data logging was that the ECU would advance timing only upto some predetermined point and under normal conditions - you should NOT be knocking at that point.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this one - I would like to learn more on how this works. Heck - on my first car, I would adjust the timing by flashing the timing light at the pulley and rotating the distributor. The scary part is that this wsa not too long ago and I am only still only 24. Not trying to sound too old school - but this entire ECU deal is new stuff for me..
Old 08-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
well since its fixed go back too the track and see what it runs. Then there will be no excuses on how fast or slow you run
I should, it's 15 degrees cooler out today than it was when I ran. It's only 90 right now

Dave
Old 08-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Maybe you should try relocating it like the other gentleman did. Might make it less sensitive and not pull your timing back as much. SCC did a write up where their Sentra's KS was WAY over sensitive and made the dyno graph choppy as hell.
The KS issues on newer Nissans (Sentras) do not apply to older cars. Nissan changed the signal processing in the ECU for the new cars. This has made them oversensitive. The newer ECUs are much more agressive at retarding timing than the older cars. This is why the Sentras get such erratic performance on bad gas.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:09 PM

did you ever get to try the difrence between the intakes?
Old 08-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by Dave B

I should, it's 15 degrees cooler out today than it was when I ran. It's only 90 right now

Dave
well thats good news for you if you had planned on visiting the track again today
Old 08-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
did you ever get to try the difrence between the intakes?
Unfortunately no. I ran with the stock resonator and my hacked airbox setup. Check my "The JWT ECU really does work, even in the heat" post.

Dave